Driver's-eye lap of new Silverstone F1 circuit

eye30 · 8 · 2482

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The Formula 1 season reaches the UK this weekend as Silverstone hosts the British Grand Prix.

The track has had a facelift for this year's race, with the circuit being extended to 3.66 miles and the addition of several new turns.

Richard Westcott joined former F1 champion Damon Hill for a driver's-eye view of the new Silverstone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10557928.stm
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Lester I always enjoy in car footage.. Looks like my kind of track  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah that was great. Lots of tyre chirps (was that a Merc they were in?)

Should be a right old spectacle
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Opa_1

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      South West Rocks, NSW, Australia

• i30's are being seen everywhere....
Thanks for that one eye30, always fun to feel like your in the car and imagine what it really would be like to hit the track and work those corners at high speed. :cool:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
great footage, it looks like a long track,and nice and wide.  :mrgreen: :cool:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Think Jenson need to watch this going by his qualifying  :lol:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
No idea what they have said about the new section on TV, I haven't seen any coverage yet. I sat in Arena A overlooking two of the new corners this morning for practice 3. I was going to sit in Arena B but that was covered and it was a nice sunny morning, plus the view from Arena A is closer to the action.

The new tarmac was a little slick, not helped by dust being blown on to it by helicopters arriving in to the stow helipad. For the lesser cars qualifying this was quite a challenge, with a lot of cars running wide. The F1 cars took it all in their stride making the Arena complex less exciting, and quite slow to watch, but with a view for a longish time. A little like sitting at Luffield.

So I moved on to the woodcote end of the newly-located pit-straight granstand for qualifying itself. Now its further back from the track the view is super, I could see all the way from Luffied, though woodcote, along the pit straight and see them jink right into copse. I used to hate pit straight tickets on race day as everyone would stand up all the time to try and see anything. This year they are good.

The club silverstone grandstand also seems to have been relocated from last year at maggots/becketts. Its much closer to the cirtcuit and has something of a view of Arena too.

I cant help thinking its a shame that farm/bridge/prioriy are missing, but they were never ideal for viewing from trackside. Although there we some people sat there today, I guess they weren't paying attention :mrgreen:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal