i30 Owners Club

Windscreen Wipers

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
One of our vehicles need wiper blades at the front. There has been some discussion by Surfer & Rusty about Supercheap replacement blades. Can someone please explain when replacing, what exactly was replaced, just the blade, the blade and it's support backing, the whole wiper.

I've looked on ebay and apart from the price which doesn't enthral me, there are may types as well. The current fitted blades are a type I've never seen before with a rubber protrusion at the base which holds the blade in place, not a metal barbed clip. The wiper is a hook type fitting, but not the same as the UK hook version.  :Dunno:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
This might help you, Phil....  :)

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=11237.msg132570#msg132570

Btw, I've never been totally happy with them so I'm looking at replacing in the near future.
They do wipe ok, but they are often noisy on a dry-ish screen....

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Phil I got mine from Malz(same as supercheap) you just replace the rubber section,I'm quiet happy with them on the front but as a rear replacement I think they are crap(they don't wipe the full width)I have used an original from Hy for the back,$21 ouch,but like rusty said when using them on the front they wipe better than the originals but on a dryer screen can be noisy(the heavier the rainfall the better they work)
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Thanks fellas, did read that one Rusty. I'll check out SC next time I'm close.  :goodjob2:

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I never had much luck with factory wipers for any of my cars, including the i30. I replaced it with one of those full robber jobbies where the "body" of the wiper is rubber as well. Straight fit to the wiper arms. It worked extremely well for me on my Hilux and now on the i30 too. Seems to last a hell of a lot longer, hardly ever makes a noise and always wipes well. Not cheap to get, around $30 odd each, but it was worth it for me.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Phil, do your wipers look like my pics in the link Rusty posted?
FWIW, I always use the refills, not just the rubber part. The backing can wear with use and allow too much movement of the blade on the screen otherwise.

In my working days, I found some cars absolutely had to have OE replacements, because all after market ones were noisy. Mazda was one of those brands.

But, in general, the silicon based ones are quiet, long lasting and not expensive.

When you go into Super Cheap to look at them I suspect you'll be surprised by the size of the range available.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Phil, do your wipers look like my pics in the link Rusty posted?
FWIW, I always use the refills, not just the rubber part. The backing can wear with use and allow too much movement of the blade on the screen otherwise.

In my working days, I found some cars absolutely had to have OE replacements, because all after market ones were noisy. Mazda was one of those brands.

But, in general, the silicon based ones are quiet, long lasting and not expensive.

When you go into Super Cheap to look at them I suspect you'll be surprised by the size of the range available.

No, they're different, I'll put some pics up 2 morrow. They don't have & can't accommodate a metal clip at all. Already tried that.  :fum:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
To save the bother of changing them only go out when it is dry so you don't need to use them!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That's a good option, I can do without the hassle at the moment, but daughter's car & I like a quiet life.  :mrgreen:

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
I would suggest Tridon Flexblades or Bosch Aerotwin.. Both are the one peice arm and rubber unit, these styles of blades work much better, last longer, and look way better IMO with my preferance going to the Bosch ones
  • Hyundai i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

No, they're different, I'll put some pics up 2 morrow. They don't have & can't accommodate a metal clip at all. Already tried that.  :fum:

The ones I replace my front ones with had the metal retaining clips,they fitted OK
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

The ones I replace my front ones with had the metal retaining clips,they fitted OK
Yeah. I just crimped them in - it shows in one of the pics. Been ther for over 2 years now and still wiping well. But I'll replace them soon anyway.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I didn't put up any pics because I purchased the whole wiper assembly, should be here tomorrow.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well, the wipers arrived and were fitted easily onto the vehicle. Daughter has used them and remarked that they wiped beautifully.

The rubber supplied is of the exact same design as the original Hy part, so fairly happy that they will last a long time. I'll order another set for the other car too. These are for models with the hook type fitting on the wiper arm.

Here's the link,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151091537191?var=450194683473&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Those are on my 2008 model - still on original set after 5.5 years :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I might get a set (it says they are Hybrid Wipers)  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, the wipers arrived and were fitted easily onto the vehicle. Daughter has used them and remarked that they wiped beautifully.

The rubber supplied is of the exact same design as the original Hy part, so fairly happy that they will last a long time. I'll order another set for the other car too. These are for models with the hook type fitting on the wiper arm.

Here's the link,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151091537191?var=450194683473&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I purchased a set of these just after Phil got his and I must say I'm very happy with them. Much better than the SuperCheap jobbies....
They look great, wipe well and best of all, they are quiet!  :judges: :judges:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :hatoff:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal