i30 Owners Club

i30 2014 Elite Releasing Steering Lock

pc9630 · 21 · 5409

Offline pc9630

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Hi All,
This problem happened once and I was stumped as to how to resolve it.
I am still seeking an answer.
My i30 Auto keyless entry push start had its battery drained thanks to my son leaving the door ajar one night.
The i30 was parked behind our other car and the jumper leads dont reach.
So I decided to push the car out into the drive and turn it into the front lawn so I can then get the 2 nose to nose.
The problem was the steering was still locked and would only go straight out at a slight angle which would have hit the fence.

I looked everywhere for some release having found the gear release thinking there must be something somewhere. I called up the dealer while waiting for the RAA in case and they said they did not know how to release it.

RAA turned up with their 20m leads started the car and life was good but the question still remains. Surely there must be a way of releasing the lock to allow it to be pushed.

If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Cheers
Evan

• i30

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
No release for steering lock.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcum: 'evans knows how you do it then..  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid: I've got one but only used it on my ride-on mower so far...  :Knock:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I currently use an extension lead, suitably connected to a 12 v battery charger to charge over long distances. You need to make up 2 sets of alligator connectors wired to extension lead plugs ensuring correct polarity etc. Charging over 20 metres, no worries. When finished, simply remove the plugs and it becomes an extension lead again.

Using something like this connected to another 12v battery may have given you enough energy to release the steering lock. Just saying. :idea:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Discharged overnight!

Seems the drain on it is high or new battery required.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Discharged overnight!

Seems the drain on it is high or new battery required.

You just made me think of something. I thought they went to "sleep" after a time.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I wondered that.

May be you can answer this....

The glove box light stays on when the glove box is close.

I know this because last night i closed mine and i could just make out that the light was still on by slight light peeping through the space between the glove box and facia.

I did not check later that it was off!

The light holder plugs into a block and there is no resistor/diode which there is on the boot light holder.

So, the question is whether there is a timer to put light off similar to the cabin light?

Is there a pressure switch behind the glovebox?

Or
Is it on 24/7?

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I think it's on with park lights.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Ok but i had  no lights on as engine was off.
Nor was cabin light on.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No manufacturer would allow a light to remain on without a charging scenario. Little mice that run continuously are notorious at flattening batteries, even just a few watts. All of our i30's are being slowly drained of power by the radio sensing circuit that is constantly waiting for us to press our remotes 24/7 to unlock the vehicle. Over time, this alone will flatten a battery.

I haven't checked, but the diode fitted to the boot light must be there because another device requires it, in some other part of the electrical circuit. There can be quite a few devices all wired into the 1 wire loom and if there wasn't a diode there, a short may occur in that wire which would be dangerous. The boot light itself does not require a diode at all.

Sounds like the glove box & boot light both need checking.

Offline pc9630

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      South Australia
Thanks for the confirmation re the steering lock.
Also the portable jump starters are interesting but it seems a bit of an overkill for a mum and dad car scenario.

As to why the battery flattened  - I was speculating but my son had taken the car, and it may have been a sequence of events of turning the car off, then opening the doors then possibly turning the lights/parkers on and just forgetting.

I do not always lock the car as such in the carport it is enclosed.
If I do lock the car then it appears in normal course of events the lights timeout and turn off.
but I suspect there is a means of having the lights on which may be timedout if the car is locked but they stay on if it isnt.

Has anyone ever used these?
:link: Auto Jumper Jumpstarts your car without needing jumper cables.

In a previous job we sold a similar product but I was a bit wary of it, but it may be useful device if they do work and do not risk blowing the circuits.

• i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi pc9630,

That gadget would make me nervous (I wouldn't use one) Assume that is US $ so over AU$50 (about AU$80 including freight)

I got my Jump starter which includes a compressor from OO.com.au for about Au$70 with free delivery (when it was on special)

Currently just over $100 delivered (but comes up regularly on special and works well)

http://www.oo.com.au/Portable-Air-Compressor-and-Po_P109584C1045.cfm

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
I never did like the descision car makers made to use electric power steering, 'cause thats the problem here. If the cars still had good old hydraulic power steering (even my 2007 Dodge Caliber has it) this wouldn't be an issue. And no need for Flexsteer coz hydraulics stiffen up with speed anyway.

I know it's an economy thing and hydraulics would load the engine more and car makers have to get every possible HP out of increasingly leaner engines with smaller capacities, but even so......

What would happen if you had a catastophic electrical failure just before a bend ?  :scared:
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Actually the electronic assist has nothing to do with the steering lock.
And as for what would happen if you had an electrical failure? Same thing that would happen if you had a catastrophic hydraulic failure, or simple belt snapped. You would have heavy but 100% usable steering.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Probably the same result as a hydraulic failure, or dive belt fail. Quite hard to steer, but not impossible. The problem with BOTH systems is the unexpectedness and lack of preparation for the event.

Offline SR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
Careful with those  jump start packs, I had one explode on me, and the terminals were definately the right way around  :) gave me a bloody shock! As for the steering lock, there's no way to release it other than smash it, that's kind of he point.  :happydance:
  • 2013 petrol SR 6 speed automatic

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
I'm showing my age, i think. I don't trust all the electronic gadgetry being run by software.... too many things can go wrong at the drop off a hat, no warming whatsoever.

There have been more electronic mishaps than hydraulic ones (just check the lines and couplings for leaks).  You can check a computer til you're blue in the face but if it wants to die it'll die and the car just will not work without it. If Some sensor or other breaks you usually need to get towed or transported to the garage.

Anyway, we'll see (or not) which systems win.

BTW...... I work with computers everything day.
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Never tried one, but my mate said that he had a guy come round to where he worked and did a demo and it actually worked

:link: Mini Multi-Function JUMP STARTER. Car - Boat - Bike - Ipod - Ipad - Phone + more - YouTube
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Probably the same result as a hydraulic failure, or dive belt fail. Quite hard to steer, but not impossible. The problem with BOTH systems is the unexpectedness and lack of preparation for the event.
Not to mention the cost to fix it.  :faint:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal