i30 Owners Club

i40 gearbox shuddering

edmagman · 44 · 16986

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Update currently reading 5l/100 so economy seems to do nothing but change the gears back plenty....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Update currently reading 5l/100 so economy seems to do nothing but change the gears back plenty....

Good to hear. Like I said previously, I haven't seen a noticeable saving in any of my cars using eco.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I did notice some in the Sonata I had, but again, it didn't drive as well as it took the revs back to 1500, normal kept the car around 2000.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Holly

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi All
First post ...
I know this is rather an old thread, however, just thought I would add my recent experience...
Received used (68000kms) i40 2016 Wagon diesel auto with DCT recently and immediately noticed the shuddering on take off. Didn't matter if it was going forward or reverse from a stand still the shuddering was evident. Seemed more pronounced when cold (engine cold not ambient cold) first thing in the morning. Once above about 25km/hr it was perfect.

After no satisfactory response from first Hyudai dealer went to another who upgraded software (from DUFOD17U5S5 to DUFOD17U5S9). This altered the gear changes when going down hills to nearly elimate the uncomfortable high revs previously experienced when it decided to change down gears but made no difference to the shuddering.

So, if anyone is concerned with the high revs when going down hills, maybe consider checking software version at next opportunity?

If someone could post parts used to fix the shuddering it would be much appreciated. Thanks
  • 2016 i40 Wagon 1.7 diesel dct

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome to the forum and thanks very much "Holly"  :goodjob:

I'll tag Eddie @edmagman this is interesting! 

Offline edmagman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, Tasmania
Hi Holly, welcome to the forum.
Thanks for your good information on the update, our i40 is due for a service soon so I will mention the update to the service manager.
In regard to your i40, you should be able to get the clutch packs replaced under warranty, we had ours replaced at 75,000 kms.
At first they told me it was wear and tear, and not covered by warranty but when I told them I was going to take the matter further it was done under warranty.
The parts alone are over $2,000 so be firm.  :victory:
  • 2019 Holden Astra RSV. 2019 Tucson Highlander.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi All
First post ...
I know this is rather an old thread, however, just thought I would add my recent experience...
Received used (68000kms) i40 2016 Wagon diesel auto with DCT recently and immediately noticed the shuddering on take off. Didn't matter if it was going forward or reverse from a stand still the shuddering was evident. Seemed more pronounced when cold (engine cold not ambient cold) first thing in the morning. Once above about 25km/hr it was perfect.

After no satisfactory response from first Hyudai dealer went to another who upgraded software (from DUFOD17U5S5 to DUFOD17U5S9). This altered the gear changes when going down hills to nearly elimate the uncomfortable high revs previously experienced when it decided to change down gears but made no difference to the shuddering.

So, if anyone is concerned with the high revs when going down hills, maybe consider checking software version at next opportunity?

If someone could post parts used to fix the shuddering it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for the above info.  :goodjob2:
I have a 2015 i30 CRDi similar kms.  The DCT seems to operate normally ( although haven't given it an extensive trial) however, the clutch actuators have a very loud rattle when car is in Park/Neutral and Drive up to 1200 rpm.
I was suspecting clutch replacement but I will broach the software option with the dealer.
Then, if necessary , explore the 'other' legal remedy.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Holly

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks @edmagman

My car is booked in "for another look" next week so, hopefully, i'll have some positive outcome to report.

Offline Holly

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
So, nothing positive from the Dealer.
Their conclusion was "characteristic of the vehicle" and referred me to owners manual with regard to operation of a DCT. Typical dealer response when the problem is probably warranty.

I know they removed the hose to gain access to have a visual of the intake manifold because the hose clamp had been replaced(however, they didn't report this to me). I had cleaned it a few weeks earlier thinking it may have been engine related rather than clutch. So, obviously, they knew something wasn't right and gave up when they couldn't find a "maintenance" item to blame ...

Don't know if I want to take up the fight or just get rid of the car.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Their conclusion was "characteristic of the vehicle" and referred me to owners manual with regard to operation of a DCT. Typical dealer response when the problem is probably warranty.

I know they removed the hose to gain access to have a visual of the intake manifold because the hose clamp had been replaced(however, they didn't report this to me). I had cleaned it a few weeks earlier thinking it may have been engine related rather than clutch. So, obviously, they knew something wasn't right and gave up when they couldn't find a "maintenance" item to blame ...

RACQ do they still do independent inspections? 
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I can understand how you feel. It is such a shame because they are a lovely car apart from this issue. If you could find someone like RACQ that could give you a written report saying it was an unacceptable faulty then maybe you could get the ACCC or similar to go in to bat for you.  :undecided:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Their conclusion was "characteristic of the vehicle"

In truth this is more "characteristic of the dealer".   :disapp:

I mentioned my DCT with a rattle. I have been driving it and the performance is flawless.

However, I have found the source of the rattle. Its not actuators, but transmission does need to come out to repair it. I await the dealer's two shoe shuffle when I front them.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Holly

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
So, after some discussions with a transmission repairer (who admitted limited knowledge of these DCTs as they are still considered under warranty and therefore reffered back to Hyundai if problems present) he suggested to change the DCT fluid as to elimate the cheaper options before confronting Hyundai.

Oil price from Hyundai $ 150 per litre and needs 2.0 litres. Went with a Penrite option for $ 50 per 2.5 litres. The oil drained from DCT was visually clean, however, only 1.5 litres came out. When refilling, the overflow (full level indication) occured at exactly 2.0 litres. Somehow the DCT had lost 0.5 litres of oil since new?

Anyhow, everything now appears to be considerably better than before with driving characteristcs about what you would expect from a DCT. I'll do another oil change in about 5000kms just to see if there is a leak somewhere and also to fully get rid of the original oil.
Should any other problems occur, I'll post events .

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So, after some discussions with a transmission repairer (who admitted limited knowledge of these DCTs as they are still considered under warranty and therefore reffered back to Hyundai if problems present) he suggested to change the DCT fluid as to elimate the cheaper options before confronting Hyundai.

Oil price from Hyundai $ 150 per litre and needs 2.0 litres. Went with a Penrite option for $ 50 per 2.5 litres. The oil drained from DCT was visually clean, however, only 1.5 litres came out. When refilling, the overflow (full level indication) occured at exactly 2.0 litres. Somehow the DCT had lost 0.5 litres of oil since new?

Anyhow, everything now appears to be considerably better than before with driving characteristcs about what you would expect from a DCT. I'll do another oil change in about 5000kms just to see if there is a leak somewhere and also to fully get rid of the original oil.
Should any other problems occur, I'll post events .

Thanks Holly very interesting and helpful.

@edmagman Eddie that is interesting!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal