i30 Owners Club

Tow bars

Offline JarrahBark

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah
I need to fit a tow bar to my i30 to pull a light single axle trailer. Can anyone advise please as to a suitable type and where it might be available.

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Adelaide, South Australia - Steel Grey SR i30
    • http://www.i30ownersclub.com
You can get a genuine Hyundai one installed from  any service center.
From memory they are around $500.

Offline OMVanders

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      McLaren Vale

• McLaren Vale, South Australia Black CRDi I30 SX
I've got the genuine article.
When I take and post some shots on the forum I'll try to include the tow bar.  It looks well integrated.

Offline Dave

• 2nd Gear
The only trouble with the genuine towbar is that it rattles. The removeable tongue is a sloppy fit and it can't be tightened. My fix was to jam some old inner tube in the slot! :evil:

Offline OMVanders

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      McLaren Vale

• McLaren Vale, South Australia Black CRDi I30 SX
Dave, it would seem that my 'genuine' towbar is different from yours... it don't rattle and the tongue ain't removable!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Here are some poor (Phone) pix I took a while back of my tow bar.

Supposedly, the genuine one fitted by the dealer (as part of the deal)

It is like Dave's (removeable) and I also had to jam something small up the side to stop it rattling.

Think they sell for around $500 although can get non-genuine ones fabricated for about half that I believe...

Cheers,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

ouri30
JarrahBark,

I have put some photos on http://www.hyundai-forums.com of the genuine towbar I had fitted (identical to Dazz's towbar).  In addition, since I notice you are from WA, why not try http://www.parksidetowbars.com.au in WA as they have one listed for the i30.

Bob

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
Sorry for the off topic but...

...Dazz.

you know it's very popular to be naked when you take a picture like that  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazza 1

Hemmi 1

I'll consider that payback for iceberg... 8-)

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
i30Dave,

My dealer quoted $700 for a genuine towbar! Perhaps I should move to Adelaide...

The Hyundai T/B does look very good, although I haven't seen one in the flesh. I'll see if there are any after market ones available nearer my car's delivery date.

Has anyone got a Hyundai T/B-fitted bike rack? (posted this request in the wrong place originally - sorry) It looks pretty good but I've only seen a picture of the one sold in the UK which is a bit different. The Aus version takes 3 bikes and costs $295 which is pretty competitive.
  • i30 cw SX CRDI manual, Surly LHT

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Bikejockey, i was quoted about $700 same as you. i'm in Sydney. seems they have to remove the rear of the car almost to fit them. you get under the rear of an i30 and take a look. that's why i have not bothered. as i have a ute that has a towbar. but it would be nice to have one just don't think what they offer is worth $700. ( looks like $250's worth to me.) so i'll wait till i see what the local tow bar makers come up with. still the job of fitting one is a lot more work than normal to fit a tow bar.

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks Lakes

The dealer did say he would do it for about $630 if I ordered it with the car. Still a lot of money but I'm hoping our 2 thirsty wagons will go when I get the i30 so I'll still need to tow the occasional trailer and, more importantly, carry a couple of bikes.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Quote from: "bikejockey"
Thanks Lakes

The dealer did say he would do it for about $630 if I ordered it with the car. Still a lot of money but I'm hoping our 2 thirsty wagons will go when I get the i30 so I'll still need to tow the occasional trailer and, more importantly, carry a couple of bikes.

I'm like you i like riding bikes to keep fit, i was going to try to put my bike in the back with seats folded down and front wheel removed, but have not tried that yet i like to ride in my lunch hour at work but since useing the i30 have not been able too.
cheers

ouri30
The back bumper section of the car needs to be removed and a section cut out in order to fet the towbar.  My dealer did it before deliver and chipped the paint of the top apex of both sides of the bumper. On one of our first services, they had to takeit to a paint shop and have the corners resprayed.  Bumper had to be removed a second time.  Looks great now.

Bob

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
If anyone is interested, Hayman Reece now do a towbar for the i30 in Aus. My local dealer says it will cost $440 fully installed. It's a fixed tongue only unlike the Hyundai version. This suits me as I'll probably get the Thule Xpress 970 rack.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanx for sharing that info ... ;)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal