i30 Owners Club

vanishing engine oil

2i30s · 47 · 16840

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm off to the dealer for my 7,500kms service on the weekend,today i checked my oil and its down on the add notch on the dipstick[i think thats 1 ltr] the last time i checked my oil was at 5'000kms and it was full.I'm not leaking or even sweating oil yet.it was changed at 1'000kms because I'm fussy so its really only 6'500kms old.my wife's cw has been serviced at 1'000kms like my hatch.her cw has 5'000 kms on it and not a problem with the oil.these i30s are our first brand new cars and I'm not sure if a new engine burns a bit of oil for a while or not. :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Check it a couple of times Steve b4 you top it up.. I've got the diesel (as if you didn't know) and I checked it on the level one day and it was down a bit between services... I put half a litre in and that seemed to fix it .. Think from memory it was between the 15,000 and 30,000 services during some unusually hot weather for Tassie..

Have done over 45,000 kms now and hasn't needed another drop between services and I go 15,000kms (go figure  :rolleyes:

I assume you were on nice flat ground when you checked yours and that you gave the oil a while to settle after a run or when the engine was cold?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i'll check it again tomorrow :eek:

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
The petrol i30 motor isn't notorious for drinking oil, so maybe there was a bit of a mix up...?

Don't worry mate, I've been there, and done that!!  :lol:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i thought i may have missread the dipstick last time but i checked my oil whilst out for a smoke a minite ago.its down on the add one litre mark again.im at 11,500 km and i dont understand how a new engine is needing oil.my last car had 250,000 km on it and never needed a drop of oil in between a 10,000 km oil change. our i30s only go 7,500 kms between iol changes. i thought last time i hadnt let it sit long enough before checking the oil,but 5 hours is definetly long enough. i wonder if the castrol magnatec oil the dealers use is actualy good enough or its another problem alltogether. the wifes cw is not having the same problem as my hatch and she travels twice as far as me each week.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

MRHi30 who hasn't been on for ages had some bad experiences with magnatec so I'm going to put Castrol edge sport in my Wife's Tiida too now... But so far I havent had to top it up between services (10,000km)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
weve been going by the book [7,500 km oilchange] and im a bit worried where that oil is going,its not on the ground or the engine its self [leaks] so its going somewhere.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm guessing you aren't noticing any smoke on hard accelleration or any drop in performance or increase in engine noise? I'd stick half a litre in and see what that does (and mention it to your dealer as well)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
it still sounds and drives as new [except for the power and economy getting better] im going to top up the oil in the morning and check it between now and my next service.there is no smoke on start up or whilst its ideling and doesnt smell oily or fumey like its burning it.im not angry about it im more concerned.where is it going.? [both our cars are 2.0 petrol]

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
You say it looks like it needs 1 L of oil to top up. But don't add more than 1/2 L. Then leave for about 5-10 mins and check again before adding any more oil. DO NOT OVER FILL.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
If the oil is not dangerously low, I would just take the car as it is to the dealership that done the last oil change and ask them to check it out.  They can then confirm the loss of oil for themselves and decide what needs to be done about it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

SS has a good point.. best to get it sorted properly sooner rather than later IF there is a problem..;-|

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
thanx for the advice. im going to take it in to be looked at.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
When do you check oil? Don't check it right after you turn off the car. You must wait for oil to "come back". I checked the oil once maybe a minute after turning the engine off and it was barely over the "empty". So I rushed went to the gas station, bought 1 lit of oil and put it in. At that time I thought there's something wrong with my engine. So I drove for a while, parked the car and went to eat. After approx 40 mins, I came back to the car and checked the level. Guess what, it was almost over "full" (which also isn't that good).

So, my suggestion would be, when checking the oil, wait at least 10 min's after shutting the engine off.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i checked the oil after it had been siting for over 4 hours. good advice though Accim.thanks mate.  :razz:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
For what it is worth:

For the best results check after it has been standing for at least 12 hours, i.e. overnight.  
Then again after a decent trip so the oil is flowing freely.  Leave a minimum of 20 minutes before you check otherwise you'll get a misleading low reading, as accim found out.

This way you get 2 readings and can safely rely on say the mid point between cold and hot readings.

Also, check around tye sump plug, oil filter housing and generally check for oil leaks on the engine block etc.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
im willing to try anything,thanx eye30 for the advice.  :razz:

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Just a small point, but is the car sitting on level ground when you check it.

Just a few inches of lean from one end of the car to the other, or across from one side to the other will give a totally force reading.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Also, there is a possibility the main seal (between sump and gearbox is leaking). Shouldn't happen in a new car but......... cars being cars :eek:
Check your gearbox/ transmission fluid level and make sure it's not overfull.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Just a small point, but is the car sitting on level ground when you check it.

Just a few inches of lean from one end of the car to the other, or across from one side to the other will give a totally force reading.
dead flat garage floor.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Also, there is a possibility the main seal (between sump and gearbox is leaking). Shouldn't happen in a new car but......... cars being cars :eek:
Check your gearbox/ transmission fluid level and make sure it's not overfull.

Is this possible :question:

I thought that the only part of a gearbox that engine oil could enter, was the bell housing.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
possable,but.it would leak out.my engine isnt even sweating or leaking oil.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
oil update.  :rolleyes: after work today i dropped into my dealers and mentioned the disappearing oil. i told them i was having to add 1 liter of oil each 5,000kms [roughly] and showed them my receipt to prove it. the car was put up on the hoist and two mechanics had a five minute look and couldn't find any leaks. they plugged a code reader box in under the steering column and there was nothing wrong there also.they looked in my service book at the oil change intervals and said I'm up to date with oil changes so that's not the cause. the dealer changed at 1,000kms the oil and filter,at my request.it was changed again at 7,500kms [but needed 1liter added at 6.000kms mark] its coming on to its 15,000kms service and Ive only done 13,000kms and it had another 1 liter top up again. they told me it was most likely my 1hour stop start travel home from work in traffic. [same rout to work is 8 minits] that excuse for oil vanishing sounds like crap, i think its the oil they use.  :eek: :mad:   CASTROL MAGNATECK 5/W30.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

that excuse for oil vanishing sounds like crap, i think its the oil they use.  :eek: :mad:   CASTROL MAGNATECK 5/W30.

Hi Steve.. I agree that excuse is crap... Not sure about the oil though.. I have been using it in the wife's Tiida since new and it hasn't used a drop between services (every 10,000 km or 12 months whichever comes first ..) It's having its 2nd birthday and 2nd service @ around 18,000 kms later this month...

Also used it in the 2006 Getz before that without any problems..

MRH130 (Michael) who appears to have disappeared ... said he has had major issues with Magnatec in the past but wouldn't elaborate ..so just to be on the safe side I am now buying Castrol Edge Sport  5w30 in bulk and using it in both cars...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm thinking about suplying my own oil at service time.  :idea:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
As it's not leaking out, either below (or into the coolant) then there is,I believe, only one other place it can be going. Unless of course the Hyundai dealer would like to challenge the laws of physics.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

Where the exhaust fumes come out, I would run my finger around the inside of it, to see if it's oily.

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Where the exhaust fumes come out, I would run my finger around the inside of it, to see if it's oily.

If the exhaust tip is oily then i doubt the car would be still going lol....

I used Castrol oils in my workshop and they were good but i had customers coming back after 5-7000kms with the oil level droped, no leaks, no smoke or anything like that, just disapering oil.... Could never figure it out & after these few complaints i changed my oil to a bulk company called Atlantic Oils who uses Caltex & Mobil as there main supliers.... Scince then i have had no problems at all & all i can put it down to is the Castrol oils & Personaly will never use or recomend them ever again.

My only advice would be to Supply your own oil at the next service Possibly Mobil Super 3000 0W/40 or 5W/40 & Check the oil level when you get home from that service to make sure the oil is filled to the correct level

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

As it's not leaking out, either below (or into the coolant) then there is,I believe, only one other place it can be going. Unless of course the Hyundai dealer would like to challenge the laws of physics.

I agree with Lorian.  If it is not leaking out or into anything, where is it going :question:

If I had no visible leaks and was convinced it was not leaking into the coolant/gearbox or where ever possible, in my opinion, I would assume it must be burning it, whatever oil I was using.

Even if not using the best of oils, it can't just disappear without a cause.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal