i30 Owners Club

ESP- The wonders.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
*Possible in wrong section, move if needed*

Was coming home the other day, as I had a meeting nearer my own house, rather than the flat I rent up at university.

The weather conditions were damp, but not raining, and i was motoring down the road, to a roundabout, to take the first exit (to the left). Their were no cars coming from the other exits, so I continued in 2nd gear, and a smooth rate, not fast, and as I turned the corner, the rear end of the car pulled out, (over steer?)

However the car quickly corrected itself, and straitened up. Apart from nearly needing a new pair of boxers, I was glad the car got back into a straight line. If this had happened in the MX-5 (RWD) think I would have ended up facing the wrong way!

Thankfully nobody else was near at the time.

I reckon this was all the workings of the ESP, keeping me straight, and not in a hedge.  Not all cars nowadays are fitted with ESP, but soon will be as an EU requirement.

HAs anybody else been saved by their ESP?
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I don't really know but I've had a few instances when I've had to brake hard and change direction.

Glad to hear you're OK and the ESP did what it says on the packet.

Good job the road was empty otherwise another may have bumped into you....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Looked around straight after, expecting to see a few dis-approving faces.  :undecided:
ESP worked wonders in the snow for me also :)

Offline stochastic

• 3rd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver

• talks out loud sometimes
    • My Personal Website
Out of curiosity what is ESP, and can it be fitted aftermarket?  My trim level didn't have such a feature.
  • Elantra Touring GL

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Out of curiosity what is ESP, and can it be fitted aftermarket?  My trim level didn't have such a feature.

From Wikipedia:

Electronic stability control (ESC) is a computerized technology [1][2] that may potentially improve the safety of a vehicle's stability by detecting and minimizing skids.[3] When ESC detects loss of steering control, it automatically applies the brakes to help "steer" the vehicle where the driver intends to go. Braking is automatically applied to wheels individually, such as the outer front wheel to counter oversteer or the inner rear wheel to counter understeer. Some ESC systems also reduce engine power until control is regained. ESC does not improve a vehicle's cornering performance; instead, it helps to minimize the loss of control. According to Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, one-third of fatal accidents could have been prevented by the technology.

I don't know if it's possible to fit it as extra. The system normally uses the ABS sensors to find out if the car skids, and then there's a control unit (sometimes build-in together with the ABS system) to operate the system.
You would most likely need a new control unit and some programming IF it is possible to refit.
However I have never heard of it being refitted.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Asterix beat me to it  :lol: So I just modified this post.. :)

Search You tube and you should find some video examples (I would imagine)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I think it has to be a factory fit item, not 100% sure of inns and outs, but i imagine, as previously stated, it would work in tune with the ABS system etc, and also the ECU.

However if you had the money and really wanted it, im sure you could retro fit it yourself, personally dont think its worth spending a lot of money on.

Il admit my driver is possibly 'harder' than other members here, but the car stands up to it :D

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I stand by what I wrote in my first winter with the i30 every time :goodjob:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=1619.msg13893#msg13893
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Our cousins in Europe may like to comment here due to their slippery ice conditions. We've never experienced any circumstances which require ESP, but I'm glad it's fitted. :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Our cousins in Europe may like to comment here due to their slippery ice conditions. We've never experienced any circumstances which require ESP, but I'm glad it's fitted. :goodjob2: :goodjob:

I conducted the very same experiment as bumpers, last year in the deep snow and got exatly the same result.  Wheel spinning almost totally eradicated and it was fanbloomintastic, up to date this year we have had no snow at all here in the Manchester (the centre of the universe) and thats fine by me.  Although it has been, and indeed still is, mighty chilly.   

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Manchester (the centre of the universe)

Didn't they tell you.  It's moved 40 miles to the west and is now Liverpool... :winker:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Didn't they tell you.  It's moved 40 miles to the west and is now Liverpool... :winker:

HAhahahahahahhahahaahh hahaaa   stop it, I almost wet meself laffin then  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Ive driven the i30 in the snow also, it was awesome, actually loved it soo much!
Never put a foot (wheel) out of line and was motoring about like nobody business, felt so secure in it also (=
Drove the mothers i30 (petrol 1.4) and really didnt like it. felt too light, and not safe :(

EDIT: Mine is diesel : )

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Maybe the 'feel' of the diesel is different in the snow and ice but my 1.4 petrol behaved impeccably a year or so ago.  I did similar tests described earlier with the ESP off and on.

One day when the roads seemed to have warmed up and the ice gone I found there was still a patch left going round one sheltered bend - the back let go and before I could think of controlling it manually all was well again. :)

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Maybe the 'feel' of the diesel is different in the snow and ice but my 1.4 petrol behaved impeccably a year or so ago.

Think it's due to the diesel having a heavier power plant, making the car feel heavier and sturdier. The petrol just didnt inspire me with confidence, thought did drive one originally until I wrote it off :(
But ESP will do the same in both cars :)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
how did you write off your first i30 sye?  :eek:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

HAhahahahahahhahahaahh hahaaa   stop it, I almost wet meself laffin then  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Home of "The Beatles" too.  :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Manchester (the centre of the universe) a
Isn't the Centre of the Univers a black hole which will eventually suck everyting into it at a great rate of knots.
You might want to duck. :happydance:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I think the feel of the petrol on snow and ice was really good, although I did suspect that the petrol motor would be more prone to seeing the ESP light come on due to the petrol being more eager to get going in 1st and 2nd gears.  Torque of the diesel probably helps opposed to higher revving petrol.

It probably has something to do with wheel size as well doesn't it??

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I think the feel of the petrol on snow and ice was really good, although I did suspect that the petrol motor would be more prone to seeing the ESP light come on due to the petrol being more eager to get going in 1st and 2nd gears.  Torque of the diesel probably helps opposed to higher revving petrol.

It probably has something to do with wheel size as well doesn't it??
Not sure about that last bit Brian. I don't know enough about how ESP works to say for sure but I figure the OD of the tyre and wheel assembly should be about the same so maybe not.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

My original belief, and fathers was that big wheels/low profile on the sidewall wouldn't work. I proved that theory completely wrong :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:08:21 by syecadelic »

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
 :whsaid:

I originally thought the i30 with 18 inch wheels and low profile tyres was going to struggle in snow but it never had a problem, whereas the ix20 with it's smaller, skinnier wheels whilst still very good in ice, isn't quite as glued as the i30 was :undecided:

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Think the width might help a bit, though goes against the rally drivers (lets face it they know best) who stick skinny wheels on, due to them gripping and digging into the ice better

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Exactly why I thought I might struggle with the big wellies I had on my i30 :confused:

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

• He loves nature in spite of what it did to him..
. If this had happened in the MX-5 (RWD) think I would have ended
correction..

If this happened in the MX-5 think i would have countersteered, added more power, and left the roundabout sideways in a gracefull powerslide with a grin wider than the atlantic ocean across my face....

yes, i also own a nice MX-5.   :happydance:
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

correction..

If this happened in the MX-5 think i would have countersteered, added more power, and left the roundabout sideways in a gracefull powerslide with a grin wider than the atlantic ocean across my face....

this is awesome news haha

its easier said than done mind you.. its trying to think to do all that before brown matter fills your undies

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
I stand by what I wrote in my first winter with the i30 every time :goodjob:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=1619.msg13893#msg13893

Good post. Its good to know what to expect when the inevitable next big dump of snow comes. Thankfully we've not had snow down here since I've owned my i30 :D
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire

Looked around straight after, expecting to see a few dis-approving faces.  :undecided:
ESP worked wonders in the snow for me also :)

I once managed to spin a Toyota MR2 at about 15mph on a roundabout outside Asda. I'm blaming it on a greasy road but there were lots of disproving faces :lol:
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

• He loves nature in spite of what it did to him..
correction..

sadly havnt learnt to do this in my I30 yet, well, no chance with ESP on.

this is awesome news haha

its easier said than done mind you.. its trying to think to do all that before brown matter fills your undies
  • SLX CRDI U2

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal