i30 Owners Club

Removing the chrome piece in the front grille

Offline prgervacio

• 2nd Gear
Has anyone tried removing the chrome piece in the front grille?  is it just a matter of removing the scews?

Offline dacho

• 2nd Gear

• hr Croatia
      Zagreb

• Croatia, Zagreb

Offline I30Racer

• 2nd Gear

• lu Luxembourg
      Luxembourg
Thats depend if you posseed the Sport (version) or the normal..By the Normal,it is only screwed.(I mean about 10 screws :D)

Offline prgervacio

• 2nd Gear
I think what I have is just the normal one.  yeah, I saw quite a number of screws and I think a couple of bolts (for the air filter?) this is the reason why I'm having second thoughts on doing this hehe

Offline I30Racer

• 2nd Gear

• lu Luxembourg
      Luxembourg
I think a couple of bolts (for the air filter?)

Yes,thats the front unit of the air filter..you must remove the 2 bolts of this piece too..

Don`t scary..it`s really easy to remove the front grille :wink:

Offline prgervacio

• 2nd Gear
removed all the screws on top plus the 2 bolts.. but the grill is also screwed to the bumper and it seems like i can only access the screws if I pull on the bumper a but or am i doing something wrong? did'nt complete it as I was afraid it might mess up my bumper if I pull on it too hard

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i tried it also and it look like the lower screws need to be unscrewed from under the car. :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Waja

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW, Australia

• Hyundai i30 CRDi '07 100,000km
ok, I decided to remove the chrome trim after buying some gloss black spray and sandpaper paint from supercheap for like $15 all up. I have an o7 i30.

I should have taken more pics along the way...but I decided to be lazy and I used paint to put red circles to show where the hidden 4 screws are. I will be pulling the trim off again since I was stupid...and decided to do all this 30min before i had to leave for work  :razz:

First up remove the air intake (2 bolts) and then take off the obvious screws ontop of the grill, there are like 10 as everyone else has said. Pull out the ? gromets ? (not sure of the name) that the screws were sitting in as those are mostly what is holding the chrome piece attached to the bumper.

After this that should be all of the superficial screws/bolts off. Pull the grill forward a bit and if you look at this picture where I have circled (you might have to zoom in & if you want larger pics I can reup them or something) there are 4 more philips head screws there. Take the two on the sides off first using a stubby philips.

After this, in the black cuts in the bumper shown in the picture above, there are plastic lips which are holding it in there. Push them down and pull the grill outwards towards you and they will pop out. Do this for all the lips (possibly not the right word for it...but it'll do for now) on both sides of the chrome trim. At the centre, there are two more screws

Undo those two screws and this time, there are two lips. The top most one is a real @*^%& ti get out and you will feel like its breaking while pulling it out, but its just another lip that needs to pop out. After popping those two out, the grill should just slide out easily and thus job success!

Putting it back together was too frustrating doing it without taking the bumper off as the centre two screws are VERY difficult to get back in. Still no success so I have just installed it without those two screws for now (it still holds without any vibrations or anything). I will be pulling it off to do a final coat of paint and also to get those screws back in so I will possibly take more pics if you need and I will try do a better explanation.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal