i30 Owners Club

Kill switch in i30????

DTM.inc · 10 · 3981

Offline DTM.inc

• 1st Gear
Is it a wise move to install a 'Secret' kill switch to help against theft?
I understand that the switch would need to carry a constant load and be rated for it, but can anyone else see any other issues that might arise?

Cheers,
Daniel

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Daniel, and welcome to the club :)

What would the "kill switch" be keeping alive, whilst active? Obviously not the battery itself because of the alarm/hazard lights etc. Maybe you are thinking about the ignition circuit. That's what I'd want to cut with a secret flick I think.

Where would you fit such a switch? I'd fit one in the centre console under a removable mat
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
I would also check with my insurance company and warranty first, before I considered anything like that.

Offline DTM.inc

• 1st Gear
Maybe you are thinking about the ignition circuit.

Exactly, i was thinking of running it in series on the ignition circuit, and yes, I too was thinking of popping it in the top tray.
I'm really just wondering wether it's a real deterent to theives or would the be able to get around it quickly and easily?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I guess the most effective way would be to tap into the immobiliser circuitry, but as StarSearcher says probably need to ok it with the Hy Guys.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

ouri30
An experience I had suggests there may be another way.  If you can locate and insert a switch to the security circuit in the ignition that is activated and deactivated by the chip in the key (not the remote per say, as this security chip is also in the standard key), then you will in effect prevent the engine from ever starting.

I had the chip in one key fail and even though the car (a CRDi) would turn over and every other electrical circuit was active, the engine would not start.  It was a real mystery until another forum member suggested it may be the security chip in the key.  I tried another key and it started first time.  Hy replaced the security chip and reprogrammed all keys and the security chip in the ignition and all has been well ever since.

Then again, having thought about what I have just written, this circuit is probably highly protected and difficult to get at or it would not be very secure, would it.  Perhaps the car already has a high level of security built into it anyway and would be nearly impossible to tamper with and hot wire anyway.  My experience tells me that it can't be started without a matching key.

Has anyone had one stolen yet?

Sorry for the rave.

Bob

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
If you decided to go ahead and is possible, I would say yes it would be a deterrent to thieves, unless they find the switch.  One of the best DIY jobs I have seen is where something like a ΒΌ inch stereo jack plug was used, the type used for stereo headphones.  A socket was fitted in the car and while the jack plug was plugged in, the circuit was live and when pulled out, the circuit was dead.  You can just take the jack plug with you when you leave the car.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
It won't stop them breaking in and ripping out you ignition switch. It might stop them driving away.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
In UK there is no need for a "kill"switch as the car can not be started without a programmed key.

If they tried to hot wire it then I'm informed that this would not start the engine due to the ECU not recognising a valid key.

To be honest if my car was stolen, I won't loose any sleep as that what Insurance is for.

Yes I know there is the inconvenience but with my insurance, it offers a loan car at no extra cost.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
In UK there is no need for a "kill"switch as the car can not be started without a programmed key.

this was my meager understanding of how it was supposed to work. otherwise why go to all the trouble of having to have a key reprogrammed or whatever by Hyundai if you lose one etc. ?

• SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal