i30 Owners Club

New i30 impressions

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Now i've had a chance to check out my new i30 i thought i'd put up a few comments. Mostly, any comparisons will be with a Dodge Caliber, my ride for the last 9 years.

Firstly, i love the looks, as was the case with the Dodge. The thing i like the most is the fact that the rear end seems to have been modelled on Kim Kardassians arse, pleasing to the eye, chunky but with nice lines.

The interior is well thought out, everything is easily within reach. The door padding could be a bit thicker at top edge, makes testing your elbow more comfortable.
Seats are firm but not wooden.
Visibility is fine, although using the rear view camera feels a little unnatural at the moment.

The engine is perky with enough power, although i'll know more about that next week when i go to Wales (1000 mile round trip).
Gearbox was the biggest surprise. As far as i can see i just have to change gear more often. The ratio gives me around 2500 rpm at 100kph which identical to the Dodge.
Acceleration is beter but then it weighs more than 100kg less.

Suspension feels good, the car takes the lumps and bumps without jolts, very smooth (on Dutch roads at least).

Other stuff like Sat Nav, handsfree options, voice commands etc i still have to figure out.
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Nice review, Wingerdave.  It has the ABC of writing, Gonz will know what I mean (accuracy, brevity, clarity).

I like the comment about the rear end.  As guys at work say about the helicopter I fly, "It has such a wide rear that Rapper's write songs about it!!"

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

The engine is perky with enough power, although i'll know more about that next week when i go to Wales (1000 mile round trip).

Where in Wales?

Near to me?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer

Where in Wales?

Near to me?

No, I'll be further down south in Brecon. Very beautiful  and calming area on the right side of the Beacons  :whistler:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Bit too far for a day trip for me.

Enjoy yourselves

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for the review :goodjob:

using the rear view camera feels a little unnatural at the moment
You soon get used to ignoring it :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
*** UPDATE ***

Okay, got back from my trip yesterday evening so here's some more little things i've noticed.....

The Sat Nav performed flawlessly........ Any Sat Nav that can get me from the M4, through London to Islington in rush hour and then out again to to Dover without a hitch is worth the extra cash. Very happy  :happydance:

The radio did automatically find TMS stations (Radio One in England) and passed the info on to the Sat Nav.
The clock adjusted automatically for time zones (GPS)

Suspension worked well, very comfortable on long distances (it's about 600 km door to door). I did try to miss as many potholes as possible (4000 alone in Blackburn, Lancashire...... work that one out) and then there's the British way of repairing roads....... Put down 3 inches of new asphalt but don't bring the drains up to the new level. Probably costs too much !!!!!.

The engine........ hmmmm, the jury is still out on that one. I had a couple of instances where i just had to gun it to get onto the motorway without incident and when changing from 4th to 5th the engine revs seemed to race, then drop then pick up again. Really wierd, the same feeling as using the kick-down in an automatic. I'll have to ask about that.

Overall i'd hoped for a little bit more pit, but i'm doing the same run in May on my own so i'll compare that then.

As far as consumption is concerned, well, three adults plus luggage, I was getting 5,7Ltr/100km (17,5 km/ltr) until i hit London rush hour traffic. Total trip average is 6,0 ltr/100km  (16 km/ltr) :happydance:  :happydance:

For the British readers thats a best of  49,5 mls/gal and an average of 45 mls/gal. Motorway speeds were between 110 and 130, for the interested parties.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Did you go to wales as well as blackburn?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Dave, the 1.6 Gdi is proving to be pretty economical for a petrol motor. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Thanks Dave, the 1.6 Gdi is proving to be pretty economical for a petrol motor. :goodjob:

Hell yeah, very pleasantly surprised  :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hell yeah, very pleasantly surprised  :)

The Wife (god bless her) is still complaining about not enough zip around town, but very happy with the economy and no worries on the open road!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
You can always install that induction kit I put together Dazz, fixes that exact problem :)

I'm getting good results with the Shell V-Power fuel too, increases the bottom end responsiveness more noticeably than BP Ultimate 98  :goodjob2:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Dazzler
The Wife (god bless her) is still complaining about not enough zip around town ...
Is that the equivalent us of blokes saying there's not enough skirt around town?

Just askin' :whistler:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :rofl:
You left yourself wide open there. 
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Quote from: Dazzler
The Wife (god bless her) is still complaining about not enough zip around town ...
Is that the equivalent us of blokes saying there's not enough skirt around town?

Just askin' :whistler:

Good one Steve!  :rofl:

You can always install that induction kit I put together Dazz, fixes that exact problem :)

I'm getting good results with the Shell V-Power fuel too, increases the bottom end responsiveness more noticeably than BP Ultimate 98  :goodjob2:

I might get details of the deluxe version you ended up with Craig and replicate it!

98 is way dearer in Tassie than 91 but she doesn't use much so I might shout her a tank full sometime.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal