i30 Owners Club

Initial feedback on brand new i30 PD SR (Further Updated)

Dazzler · 108 · 41432

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Most of you who own push button start will agree it becomes second nature finding the button. I don't have any trouble and I don't own one (yet)

Dazz you mentioned the engine was freeing up. Wait till you get to 5000km. I notice a big difference in performance between brand new Veloster SR's and the ones in for the 7500km services.
And don't baby it too much either  :D
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Most of you who own push button start will agree it becomes second nature finding the button. I don't have any trouble and I don't own one (yet)

Dazz you mentioned the engine was freeing up. Wait till you get to 5000km. I notice a big difference in performance between brand new Veloster SR's and the ones in for the 7500km services.
Thanks Tim. Looking forward to that!

Be easier if the button was always on the same side!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Quote from: Dazzler
The starter button on the PD i30 is on the left hand side of the steering column (on the dash of course) but well hidden by the wheel.

Must of got that from a Ford  Brochure :lol:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Quote from: Dazzler
The starter button on the PD i30 is on the left hand side of the steering column (on the dash of course) but well hidden by the wheel.

Must of got that from a Ford  Brochure :lol:

:rofl: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

By the way, after a short drive at night, Trish and I seem to think the headlights are better than her 2014 tourer and the earlier FD. A bit brighter and a slightly longer throw. Probably about the same as my Calais which was pretty good in that department.  Take note I'm talking about the standard headlights as I haven't got the Premium with LED headlights.

Topped up my tank with some E10 (95 Ron) yesterday. Having done over 250 kms since picking her up last friday (including many short urban trips) pleasantly surprised I could only squeeze about 16 litres in. Won't bother doing any proper calculations on fuel economy until I do some serious "miles" using the best part of a full tank.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If car makers can't decide which side to put the gear selectors on an Auto transmission, why would you expect them to agree on a side for the button. Hell the Euro cars can't even get the indicator and wiper stalks on the right sides.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Some Feedback on the Starter Button...

The starter button on the PD i30 is on the left hand side of the steering column (on the dash of course) but well hidden by the wheel. It's hard to keep up, but my Holden Calais had it on the R/H side and I think both my Hybrid Camry's starters were on the left. All well hidden by the wheel.

I reckon they should put them closer to the centre of the dash (or even right in the centre)

Easier to see/use and look sporty too, I reckon.  :cool:

I am sure a few sportier cars have this but not sure which ones.  :undecided:

My GT had it to the left of the steering wheel on the dash.

Can you easily see it from your normal driving position or do you have to hunt for it?

Could easily see it, Dazz.
A nice big red starter button.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
If car makers can't decide which side to put the gear selectors on an Auto transmission, why would you expect them to agree on a side for the button. Hell the Euro cars can't even get the indicator and wiper stalks on the right sides.

Good point!
And in some countries, they can't even get the steering wheel on the right side.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
By the way, after a short drive at night, Trish and I seem to think the headlights are better than her 2014 tourer and the earlier FD.
Dazz, you might need to raise the beams a little on Trish's car, I found mine were set very low.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

By the way, after a short drive at night, Trish and I seem to think the headlights are better than her 2014 tourer and the earlier FD.
Dazz, you might need to raise the beams a little on Trish's car, I found mine were set very low.

There was a bit of a gap between the Low beam and high beams (on Trish's car) so I adjusted them down on the back wall of the garage, but think I need to take it for a drive at night and have a fiddle. :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I found a local business close by with a huge level car park which I could park up 20 metres from and set the height levels against the wall, passenger side I raised 1 brick and drivers side 1.5 bricks :D the drivers side cut off line is still below the boot level of other similar sized vehicles :goodjob2:

I was amazed how low the factory settings were, don't think the Hyundai boys bother to adjust at presale checking :disapp:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I found a local business close by with a huge level car park which I could park up 20 metres from and set the height levels against the wall, passenger side I raised 1 brick and drivers side 1.5 bricks :D the drivers side cut off line is still below the boot level of other similar sized vehicles :goodjob2:

I was amazed how low the factory settings were, don't think the Hyundai boys bother to adjust at presale checking :disapp:

Oh, I see. With the screws, not the internal adjustment knob (that does both at once.)  :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Oh, I see. With the screws, not the internal adjustment knob (that does both at once.)  :undecided:
No, not the internal adjustment knob, set that to the default maximum height level ( 0 ) first before making external adjustments.

The internal adjustment knob is only to lower the lights when you have heavy loads in the rear.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No, not the internal adjustment knob, set that to the default maximum height level ( 0 ) first before making external adjustments.

The internal adjustment knob is only to lower the lights when you have heavy loads in the rear.

Cheers for that.  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just ordered some custom made Sheepskin seat covers via Autobarn. Could only get "gold" 16mm pile (mid range) at Supercheap for $500 or around $700 for "Platinum" ones.

Autobarn use a different supplier and I'm getting 4 star (24mm pile) for $521. It's a lot of money so I'm going to have to keep this one even when the ashtray gets full and the nobs wear off the tyres!  :crazy1:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Now you wont be able to see ya nice sporty seats  :(

Yeah, I know a bit of a shame, but at least this time the covers will hug the seat. Sheepskin is great, soft and warm.

Trish needs a fairly thick cushion on her seat to see what's going on (no height adjustment on passenger's side) The covers will hide the cushion and keep it in place.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Too bad you don't come to me for servicing. Every Hyundai at every service get headlight aim checked and adjusted.  :hatoff:
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Too bad you don't come to me for servicing. Every Hyundai at every service get headlight aim checked and adjusted.  :hatoff:
To bad they don't all have your dedication Tim :goodjob: I've stood and watched many vehicles being serviced and I have never seen anyone check the beam levels, not just Hyundai.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

A few more observations...

The instruments have excellent clarity at night. Very clear white light and easy to read.

Like the auto folding mirror option too. An easy way to check if you've locked the car.

Not sure how accurate the tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) is, dropped my tyres to 36psi by my normally accurate gauge and  TPMS says 31psi? Will double check at a garage tomorrow.  First car I've had with this feature. I know it's almost mandatory in parts of Europe. 

Gave her a bit of stick today (not too much) and even in eco mode she'll get up and boogie if you put the boot in.

My car nut mate just loved it. Reckons it's a great colour too. Had to nearly bribe him to get him out of the drivers seat.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Had to nearly bribe him to get him out of the drivers seat.
Sexual favours, Dazz? You're gonna have to slow down some day. :rofl:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:confused:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Checked the Tyre pressures with a whizz bang new Automated Gauge at the recently upgraded United Garage in Devonport.

The TPMS in the SR was accurate (my own gauge is obviously not as accurate as I thought!)  :-[

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I suspected as much but I wasn't going to say anything until you'd checked it. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:evil: :mrgreen:

Offline fabulatuaest

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Kensington, NSW
Dazz in the earlier thread you mentioned front sensors - are those the Hyundai Front Park Assist sensors? Been checking in with the Hyundai FB team and they keep telling me it ain't ready; dealers only seem to be offering 3rd party sensors.  :head_knock:

Would be great to know if the Hyundai originals are now available (and if they integrate into the small centre information display). Can they be installed at the dealer, or is it a factory only option?
  • PD i30 SR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz in the earlier thread you mentioned front sensors - are those the Hyundai Front Park Assist sensors? Been checking in with the Hyundai FB team and they keep telling me it ain't ready; dealers only seem to be offering 3rd party sensors.  :head_knock:

Would be great to know if the Hyundai originals are now available (and if they integrate into the small centre information display). Can they be installed at the dealer, or is it a factory only option?

See this thread you commented on in early May...

:link: PD Front Park Assist Module

Yes, the way I understand it they are aftermarket, but with the extra module installed properly they work fine. I am going to have an opportunity to test them on a Demo i30 before I commit. TBH I don't really need them now, would probably prefer service credits in lieu.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Finding the PD SR a great "town car". My previous larger car was quite heavy to manhandle around our small city. The new "reinvented" i30 handles and rides really well and being a lighter, more compact car it is easier to manoeuvre in the CBD.  :victory:

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
Congrats Daz, and thank for the updates very jealous, my only concern is you want to cover those lovely sporty seats with dead sheep???
  • i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

i was always sad when i went from Kick Start only to push button start on motor bike. now it's something thats come back to car's?
i had to drive a lady's Morris Minor 1000cc once it had push button start too.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal