i30 Owners Club

Initial feedback on brand new i30 PD SR (Further Updated)

Dazzler · 108 · 41428

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Congrats Daz, and thank for the updates very jealous, my only concern is you want to cover those lovely sporty seats with dead sheep???

Yes, I know .. "But happy, Wife happy life.." The Calais had flash seat that got covered too (for the same reason)  :Pout:

I haven't had custom made ones before. Hopefully they will conform nicely to the deep bucketing. Although Trish's side will have a fairly deep cushion under it.

Most of you who own push button start will agree it becomes second nature finding the button. I don't have any trouble and I don't own one (yet)

Dazz you mentioned the engine was freeing up. Wait till you get to 5000km. I notice a big difference in performance between brand new Veloster SR's and the ones in for the 7500km services.
And don't baby it too much either  :D

i was always sad when i went from Kick Start only to push button start on motor bike. now it's something thats come back to car's?
i had to drive a lady's Morris Minor 1000cc once it had push button start too.

I know it seem like a retro step, but the proximity key feature is very easy to get addicted to. No fumbling for keys ever..  :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

A positive and a negative to share this morning..

Firstly the positive.

Electronic park brake. This is very well designed and is much more seamless than my previous car (the Calais) With the Calais to disengage it, you pushed the button down, or it would disengage automatically if you forgot, but with a slight jerk as it let go.

With the new i30, it disengages when you select Drive or reverse. I like the little whirring noise when you engage it too!

On the negative side.

Think it is a combination of current road and weather conditions + colour + vehicle shape, but this thing is a huge dust and grime magnet!!  :eek:

To be honest, I haven't put mudflaps on it yet (which may help a bit) but I had forgotten after 3 sedans how dust and grime are attracted to the back window of a hatch. It is getting filthy up the sides too though. I've already washed it twice in about 10 days!

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The park brake is a nice feature, and I find myself not moving in the wife's FD because I am used to the car doing it for me.

The downside is that when I leave work I sometimes get caught because in my rush to beat the garage door closing (and have to walk back to the switch to open it again, I don't have my foot on the brake for long enough to disengage it.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
"i had to drive a lady's Morris Minor 1000cc once it had push button start too."

I think it was a pull button, actually.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Sure that wasn't the choke? :confused:
 :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
"i had to drive a lady's Morris Minor 1000cc once it had push button start too."

I think it was a pull button, actually.
Back in the early 70's i had an Hillman Imp and it was was push button
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
this thing is a huge dust and grime chick magnet!!  :eek:

Fixed it for yer!
(I think this means it attracts huge chicks... :undecided:).
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Definitely not the choke.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:14:35 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Dazz,
Don't think the standard mudflaps will do much, was thinking of the same but I've seen a few with them and just as much crap on them.
Maybe Alho could send over some of those red ones the rally guys over there use   :lol:
 Twice in a week,  look at it as exercise.  You'll stop as soon as New Car Sydrome wears off.    :winker:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Dazz,
Don't think the standard mudflaps will do much, was thinking of the same but I've seen a few with them and just as much crap on them.
Maybe Alho could send over some of those red ones the rally guys over there use   :lol:
 Twice in a week,  look at it as exercise.  You'll stop as soon as New Car Sydrome wears off.    :winker:
The rally ones don't stop the dirt. Just look at the cars in Poland last week.
Rally mudflaps are more designed to reduce stones being thrown up on cars behind them. Well, that was the original plan anyway.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hey  surf ,
Yeah I saw that mush all over them,  just thought the red would match well  👍
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hey  surf ,
Yeah I saw that mush all over them,  just thought the red would match well  👍
:rofl:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks guys. Plenty of big chicks in Devonport :eek:

I will probably still get the mud flaps just to reduce stone chips maybe?

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
But if you go straight to a body kit you won't be needing the mud flaps. :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

But if you go straight to a body kit you won't be needing the mud flaps. :whistler:
Nice idea Gonz! Only negative is clearce on parking stops and the like. The SR seems better than the Calais that way so far.

Offline NayuluTjuta

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Murraylands, SA

• Alias OURI30
Re tyre pressures:
Just picked up our i30 SR Premium.  Haven't driven it yet as Sue says it's hers (technically she's correct).  Just looked at recommended tyre pressures on the plate.  33psi front and back is listed for the 18" SR with 36psi front and back with full passenger and luggage.

On the basis of this, 41psi (cold) seems excessive.  As Sue what she thought of the ride and tyre noise on our undulating ruff sealed road back home and she said it was fine.

Bob
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:07:52 by NayuluTjuta »
  • i30 PD SR Premium

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
[bold]Re tyre pressures:[/bold]
Just picked up our i30 SR Premium.  Haven't driven it yet as Sue says it's hers (technically she's correct).  Just looked at recommended tyre pressures on the plate.  33psi front and back is listed for the 18" SR with 36psi front and back with full passenger and luggage.

On the basis of this, 41psi (cold) seems excessive.  As Sue what she thought of the ride and tyre noise on our undulating ruff sealed road back home and she said it was fine.

Bob
Seems whoever is fitting these tyres cant be bothered to adjust the pressures, the initial fitment uses the higher pressure to seat the tyre beads but should then be backed off to recommended pressure, 36psi minimum would be the lowest I'd go on 18's with a 40 profile or you run the risk of damaging a rim.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Honey I'm home...  :snigger:

Wife (Trish) picked me up from Launceston Airport this morning (I've been away for 10 days or so)

I checked the trip computer and Trish got 7.0 over the approximately 110 kms she did from home (she said she sat on around 100kph most of the way) It went up to 7.2 by the Trip computer when I drove it home. I drove it a bit harder, sitting on an indicated 110 -115 kph.

Tyre noise is acceptable with tyre pressures at around 35psi.

After doing 600+ in a basic CVT rental Corolla over the last 10 days, was a joy to drive the SR again.

Easy to turn off some of the alerts on the GPS when you know how (just work through the menus)

Trish admitted today there are quite a few things she likes about my car now.  :victory:

It is no rocket ship from a standing start (in normal mode) but a great car to safely pass slow traffic - Very responsive and smooth in the mid range.

RE: Cruise Control - Other Hyundai's may do this, but never had it before in any other car.  If you hold the resume button up or the Set button down the set speed will go up or down in 10kph increments. Very handy if you go from a 80 to 110 zone for example. Just flick the set speed up to 110 without touching the accelerator and the car will gently accelerate to that speed (and vice versa)

Very easy (no tiring) car to drive.  :happydance: But still has character and zip (not like the rental car which was ok, but very benign and boring) - It's ok Trevor (Surferdude) has a manual sports model...  :cool:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
If you hold the resume button up or the Set button down the set speed will go up or down in 10kph increments
I'd get that seen to if I were you, on mine it steps in 5mph increments

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Bugger! I better talk to the dealer! :snigger:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
5mph and 10kph, Dazz, not the same scale! :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

5mph and 10kph, Dazz, not the same scale!
I know that Gonz, I did snigger. 10 kph works fine for me...

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
Discovered all my tyre pressures cold over 40psi on Menu. Will drop them down to 36 tomorrow. I do like the way it shows the individual tyres too, as opposed to me old Veloster which just had an orange warning light on Dashboard if any tyre pressure dropped below 25psi.

Liking this i30 more each day. Time to wax & polish I think  :crazy1:
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Discovered all my tyre pressures cold over 40psi on Menu. Will drop them down to 36 tomorrow. I do like the way it shows the individual tyres too, as opposed to me old Veloster which just had an orange warning light on Dashboard if any tyre pressure dropped below 25psi.

Liking this i30 more each day. Time to wax & polish I think  :crazy1:

Good to hear Scott.  :goodjob:

Decreasing tyre pressures definitely reduced tyre noise for me. First time I've had factory TPMS (very handy)  :happydance:

Anybody want an aftermarket set for half price? $50 + postage  :P

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Did you see this review Dazz?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes thanks mate. I already shared it. Sweet, and the review wasn't bad either...

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I thought she made a couple of good points  :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

OK, so I've now done about 1600 kilometres of mixed driving. Probably about half highway and half town driving.

Overall economy figure for that period is showing as 7.6 Ltrs/100km on the trip PC (I haven't reset it) or done brim to brim calculations. Not such a cash hit to fill a 50 litre tank rather than a 70 litre one (in the Calais) :goodjob:

I've topped it up 4 times, twice with E10 (95 octane) and twice with 91 (only because no E10 at that station)

Looks like i'll get up to 700 kms on a road trip (50 litre tank) or closer to 600 when mostly doing short trips. I tend to get pretty close to the ADR fuel usage estimate now I'm retired as I don't need to tear around and don't do as many short trips back and forth to work and such.

Surprised how little I'm missing the Calais. Seeing I've gone down 2 sizes the SR is filling her predecessors shoes nicely.

Thought I'd miss the very good heads up display, but the LED speedo in the middle of the instruments is easy to keep an eye on and the Autonomous cruise is so good I don't need to keep so much of an eye on my speed anyway.

I do find the SR a bit lazy in comparison with the Calais from initial takeoff unless I have her in Sport mode (which makes a noticeable difference) Although, even when in eco mode she is very responsive when on the move. With the nice flat torque curve there is pretty much instant response if needed in any mode.

As I've said before Hyundai have made a great job with all three series of the i30 to give the driver a big stable car feel but still (particularly in the PD) making the car nimble and responsive around town.

Struggling to find anything I've lost by downsizing to the SR except maybe the 120 litres of boot space, but I can work around that.

All very positive at the moment! 

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal