i30 Owners Club

ESP try out....

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I have just been out in the car to test the ESP and traction control on our icy and snowy roads. Impressive. It works, the ABS shuddered somewhat as it brought the car to a standstill but, the ESP would not allow me to rev the front wheels into an ice polishing spin, but instead just moved off at a dignified speed, excellent. Didn't wanna try the traction control as my streets not wide enough for hand brake turns :-(.

asathorny

PS, I saw two other i30 at the Cheetham Hill Tesco car park, and I am noticing more and more on the roads these days.  Maybe people are getting the message, not so much cheap and cheerful as, CHEAP AND EXCELLENT   :) :) :) :)

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Correct - I find the i30's ESP /traction control & ABS work very well indeed, keep the car stable etc.  We have loads and loads of snow, ice etc up in North East England, never seen the like before.  I have winter /cold weather tyres on mine at moment that make another huge difference, and even when it is really icy I have to be quite "playful" to get the ESP light flashing away. 
Only i30 shortcomings at the moment for me are lack of ground clearance on the rutted & frozen roads and (because I have just started putting the car away in the garage so as to save the repeated de-ices) I am surprised how wide the car is - I have to fold the door mirrors in to get in the garage safely.
Ed

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Talking Hoarse

I agree, I have had to do the touch up paint thing twice now because I have touched the garage door frame  :'(  Not good.  I garage my car whenever I am home, I live quite close to a city centre, which means we occasionally get Mr or Miss Idiot walking down the street who like to mess with others property, so it's just become a habit.

I know what you mean about the ruts of icy snow, fortunately we're not there yet, in fact down here, in the Kingdom of Manchester this is our first day of snow.  Wouldn't ya know it, I needed to go out food shopping, why oh why didn't I go yesterday.

asathorny

PS.

I also had a quicky cheapo spray wash whist I was out, to get some of the salt off my baby   :D

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
You sure weren't Bumkin...

My first winter with my i30... so you'll have to excuse my overly enthusiastic repetition of what has already been established    :P

asathorny

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I reported how good ESP was last year.

It should be on all vehicles!!!!!!

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=4722.msg48865#msg48865
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
My car did not come with ESP, but has ABS, & as yet i have never activated it.
i think the i30 CRDi has the best traction of any car i've owned & my last two rear wheel drive both had limited slip diff's.
i put it down to the weight of the diesel on the drive wheel (no limited slip diff, so only one wheel drives). i have driven up a muddy steep drive to my friend farm a few times with no issues.
Also since i fitted the Michelin pilot 3 sport tyres, wet weather traction outstanding, we are having some very wet weather here & supposed to rain for another week straight. but it's warm rain.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
do you guys notice that our cars axle tramp like its going out of fashion?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I used to get it in my old car a lot, and very noisy too.

In the i30 I've not noticed any, and I give it beans from a standstill every now and then (usually golf proximity) I just seem to get regular spin before the TC takes over. Of course the tyres are a lot harder on the i30 than my previous car.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I have not noticed axle tramp, maybe the low profile 18" help?
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
its probably because im running 15'' wheels with massive rubber!

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow

May I ask what this is ?

Pip

May I ask what this is ?
A condition whereby one or both of the driven wheels will bounce up and down under load during acceleration or braking, causing intermittent grip. Once excited it will tend to continue until the load is reduced. It doesn't feel nice so it's natural to back-off and it immediately stops.

Its appearance today IMO would be considered a design fault or due to a failure of a suspension component. A weak or poorly chosen shocker for instance.

When cars had cart springs and live axles it was an accepted "feature". :rolleyes: :lol:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
No axle tramp in mine.

no homeless tramps either
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
wow... yours doesnt do it even with the stock springs trev?

hrmm mine did it just as bad with the stock springs as it does with the lowered one!

mabey its just a diesel thing!

Pip
Never seen it either... maybe I'm not trying hard enough. :lol:

My last car on the other hand needed to be nursed to avoid it in the wet but it had crook shockers. It was at EOL so I lived with it for the last year.

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
This snowfall has been excellent to discover just what the ESP can do.  It is new to me as my previous car never had it. It has come on several times in the past week and although I don't really have to do anything, I feel reassured that it is lurking behind the scene doing what it should be doing. SHEER BRILLIANCE  :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hey Trev, it never actually switches off (unless you do so using the dash switch), if the light in the instrument cluster is flashing it is warning you that it is not coping ie :needhelp:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My front wheels still spin like crazy in this snow as I recently found out, but the EBD and ABS do work great
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

My front wheels still spin like crazy in this snow as I recently found out, but the EBD and ABS do work great

Indeed, I'm testing the abs lots at the moment. One thing I've noticed it the modulation is about twice as fast as on my old car, and  think that makes it far more effective. The i30 seems to climb snowy/icy banks much better than my old car too.

Maybe I posted this already yesterday, I'm loosing it  :faint:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
 :goodjob: The ABS is miles better than the Imprezas was, doesn't feel so rough, I don't really notice the wheelspin though and would have thought that if anybody was going to suffer that in these conditions in would be me with the wide low profile 18's :)

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Hey Trev, it never actually switches off (unless you do so using the dash switch), if the light in the instrument cluster is flashing it is warning you that it is not coping ie :needhelp:

Sorry Brian, I may have confused you slightly.  What I meant to say was that when I was on the snow & ice, the light came on, reassuring me that it was doing what it should  :goodjob:

I know there is a button to my right that gives me the option to turn it off [Not the light] but why would I ?  If it is an extra safety feature, it's there for a reason.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
wow... yours doesnt do it even with the stock springs trev?

hrmm mine did it just as bad with the stock springs as it does with the lowered one!

mabey its just a diesel thing!
Springs won't stop it anyway. You need new struts.  IMHO.  :winker:

ps. Love the new emoticons.

:goodjob:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Well I just returned from dropping my lass off at her friends.

Turned corner gently but Fergie didn't want to. Foot planted fully on brake, ABS rattling my ankle, bang.

How much are new alloys these days :rolleyes:

I wasn't aware that after a few seconds of ABS, the brake pedal releases and goes right down to the metal :eek:. Impressive. Ineffective against the laws of physics, but impressive anyway.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Shambles...

Yes I got some wheel spin this morning on the fresh snow, which surprised me.  Later on when the engine had warmed up thoroughly the ESP worked a treat again. I wonder if the engine management PCB doesn't let it work till it's at operational temp ???????

With regards the ABS I have noted it coming in a few times today on some of our steep hills and yes it shudders quite a bit, but I have not had the brake pedal drop to the metal, if that's what you meant.  Now that would increase my heart rate somewhat ( if it happened without using my puffer thing).

asathorny

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Sorry to hear about your mishap Steve, I have never experienced the ABS dropping the brake pedal to the metal and I drive in these conditions more than you do , doesn't sound quite right to me, perhaps worth mentioning to your dealer mate :eek:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Cheers. I've only actually scuffed the rim of the front offside alloy. No biggie.

As for the pedal, I'm going to a private (Netto) carpark tomorrow and reproduce it if possible. At the time it happened, I'd just started a 5mph sideways skid with the brake fully depressed (which started it rattling) and I swung a hard right on the wheel (to meet the skid). That's when something took over the pedal and removed my control of it.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Just shows even at very very low speed you can be caught out.

Glad just alloys and not the bodywork
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Cheers. I've only actually scuffed the rim of the front offside alloy. No biggie.

As for the pedal, I'm going to a private (Netto) carpark tomorrow and reproduce it if possible. At the time it happened, I'd just started a 5mph sideways skid with the brake fully depressed (which started it rattling) and I swung a hard right on the wheel (to meet the skid). That's when something took over the pedal and removed my control of it.

Be interesting to see if the sideways motion had something to do with it, remember I had a straight on skid the other morning at about the same speed but the ABS just kept chattering.................

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal