i30 Owners Club

Noisy Diesel

Gwandad · 23 · 7084

Offline Gwandad

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
My new (6000 km) auto diesel i30 wagon has developed a very bad engine rattle. Not the normal diesel noise, but intermittently sounds for all the world like a big end run, but then it quietens down. We just returned from a visit that's about 15k each way. On the way out it happened quite a lot but on the way back it was it's normal quiet self. Has anyone else had this sort of trouble?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Straight to the dealer for you.

Uncommon engine noises should not happen at 6k. Get them to check oil level & pressure. If there is a pressure or level problem, the turbo will rapidly fail. You haven't mentioned how long or under what conditions it occurs.  :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Could be turbo problem. A friend here once encountered unusual noise about engine and approved by the dealer, then changed the turbo device under warranty.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Please don't delay, it sounds serious.  :neutral:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Bit of a strange one Gwandad.. Hope you get to the bottom of it quickly  :confused:

How does it effect the overall performance?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Xamaxy
Egr gasket from the exhaust makes a terrible noise when that gasket goes.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i wonder what the outcome was,he hasn't been back to tell us.  :confused:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
i wonder what the outcome was,he hasn't been back to tell us.  :confused:
We might need to give him a bit of time, given his user name  :faint:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Gwandad

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Sorry for the delay. I've been ill & haven't taken it to the dealer yet. The performance seems OK & it's quiet under load (accelleration). Gets worse when hot. Sometimes sounds like a big end rattle, lately. The dealer was too busy before Xmas, so I'll take it in next week.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Sorry for the delay. I've been ill & haven't taken it to the dealer yet. The performance seems OK & it's quiet under load (accelleration). Gets worse when hot. Sometimes sounds like a big end rattle, lately. The dealer was too busy before Xmas, so I'll take it in next week.
sounds like the two of you need to see a doctor.  :blubber:

Offline Gwandad

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
OK we both saw a doctor. The dealer said it was a known problem after I took him for a short demo & Hyundai had released a "fix" for it. An upgrade to the software that controls the injectors. They supposedly installed it & gave it a test run, then pronounced it fixed. Seemed OK on the trip home, but has gotten a lot worse since then. It's got more rattles now, than a millionaires baby!! Rang the dealer & it's booked in again at the end of next week. Today we were absolutely disgusted by the racket it made. My missus wants to send it to the scrapheap. They said at the dealers that they had another with the same problem & that they had tried everything with no success & were about to replace the engine when the "fix" was announced by the factory. They claim it fixed the other one. Has anyone else had or heardabout this sort of problem?
The noise abates under accelleration, but is really bad on over run.
I'll get back to you when I know something.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Gwandad

Still doesn't sound too good. It must be something related to specific units because our 2 cars have done considerably more distance than yours, without anything like the problems you've mentioned. It sounds like they're sympathetic to your situation so give them another try. If they fixed the other one, they should have a fair idea what the problem is. Personally, I think the software update excuse gets used far too often. Imagine a ship load of cars arriving into the UK. Wouldn't they all need the same update, not just 1 or 2. I think they're telling porkies. :disapp:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fairly rare, fortunately..but a strange one!

You have a valid point Phil about only one or two needing that fix... :whistler:

Pip
And as well, what would injector control have to do with a noise that occurs on the overrun? No fuel is being is being used with a closed throttle so presumably the injectors are not doing much!

That it does it on the overrun is interesting... probably eliminates anything to do with ignition which then suggests a mechanical noise.  :eek: :confused:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
By overrun I presume you mean traveling at a constant speed or decelerating. If so, then the car is driving the engine, which is a whole new ball game. It could be an injector problem as fuel injected when the engine does not require it or expect it would have significant and possibly dire consequences.  :neutral:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
OK we both saw a doctor...

Never mind the i30, how about yourself? Better now I hope. Oh, and Happy Birthday mate :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Never mind the i30, how about yourself? Better now I hope. Oh, and Happy Birthday mate :D

:whsaid:

Yes happy Birthday for yesterday .. :-[ (sorry I missed it)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

:whsaid:

Yes happy Birthday for yesterday .. :-[ (sorry I missed it)
:whsaid: :-[

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
injectors doesn't sound plausible,but injector pump.  :idea: the injector pump on a diesel engine can be loosend and slightly rotated to alter the timing similar to a distributor on a petrol engine. that can cause a rattle if its not set correctly.  :idea: it could also be a timing chain rattle, due to a faulty chain tensioner.  :idea: and a worse case scenario is the oil pump is faulty,giving poor oil pressure,causing a bottom end/rocker gear rattle.  :idea:

Offline Gwandad

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
OK problem solved. Another?? computer patch from Hyundai & told it would take up to 500km to settle down. I didn't really believe them, but I took it for a long run of about 130 km at 100-110 kph after a couple of weeks doodling around the suburbs,& lo & behold we have our car back. It purrs. The missus is rapt so that means I'm happy. The fix was all to do with injector timing. Boy did it get loud before the fix. We were sure it was about to expire. Thanks for the feedback & the birthday greetings.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If it was a computer patch solution, how did the injector timing get so far out in the first place.

Great your problem appears to be solved.  :goodjob2: :goodjob: :happydance:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
If it was a computer patch solution, how did the injector timing get so far out in the first place.

Probably designed by Microsoft..... :p

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well, all cars have "Windows"  :mrgreen:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal