i30 Owners Club

too much oil - how much is to much!

mystyc · 10 · 4046

Offline mystyc

• 2nd Gear
Hi all,

having noticed that my recent purchase of a 3 year old i30 was blowing blue smoke on start up I have discovered that the oil level is significantly above full follwoing the service 7 days ago.

the oil level is a good 10mm above the max fill level on the dipstick.  Can anyone tell me how bad this is? I  will try to get back to the dealer next week to have them lower it down. Just want to check what the risk of long term damage is as I have done 500 miles with an overfull engine!

I know overfilling is bad but how much over the full mark can you get away with before damage happens?

thanks for you help in advance!

t

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
Overfilling the engine is never a good thing! But i would say just 10mm over the 'correct' maximum is nothing to be overly concerened about. My NEW i30 blows a little smoke at start up and there are topics on this thread that thrash out whether they are meant to do it or not. I personally wouldnt be OVERLY concerned but if you really wanted to you could let a little out lol.
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The biggest problem with overfilling is oil level in the sump higher than the sump gasket. In some cars, the gasket is a poor seal and leaking can occur. Having said that, oil as a liquid does not compress and if some gets where it shouldn't and is mechanically squeezed, something's going to break.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
10mm on the dip stick is about 1ltr of oil,the same as the add mark on the dip stick,1ltr.  :winker: :Shocked:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
It may go places it should not and ooze past seals, will also probably have the crank splashing around in it too.  I am not really a techy but I wouldnt run my car with that much oil - suggest you get it sorted asap.

Offline mystyc

• 2nd Gear
cheers all,

its going into the local dealer on tuesday morning to have the excess oil drained. The dealer that i bought it from and overfilled it have agreed to cover the costs :-)

why do these things always happen on a bank holiday! Fingers crossed there has been no perminant damage.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
cheers all,

its going into the local dealer on tuesday morning to have the excess oil drained. The dealer that i bought it from and overfilled it have agreed to cover the costs :-)

why do these things always happen on a bank holiday! Fingers crossed there has been no perminant damage.

:goodjob:

It's always the way...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline noels_hobby

• 2nd Gear
i don't know if its relevant to your problem but my i30 has returned from dealer service every time so far with oil above the full mark. when questioned about it the dealer told me the filter capacity drains back to the sump when cold.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 the oil filter hangs vertically,but not up side down. the oil would remain in the filter.  :neutral:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Official oil Capacity of the 1.6 CRDi is 5.3 litres but in my experience a 5Ltr bottle does the job nicely.. Maybe some places insist on putting in 5.3 litres??
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal