i30 Owners Club

Rattle in the Dash

fatcat · 7 · 3195

Offline fatcat

• 1st Gear
So I bought a second hand I30 three weeks ago 09 import from the UK 27000miles. :)

1 week later the delaer rings me and tells me the steering wheel rack needs replacement it was noticied during the service but mechanic didn't inform car sales man who couldn't inform me so I had to bring my car in - 3 weeks later I haven't seen my car since.  :blubber:

What I have been told is the steering rack was replaced, it was taken for a test drive and retruned to the garage as they were not happy so now a steering column is been replace currently waiting on the part........

During the week I had the car I did observe a noise from the dash area - the delaer had said minutes after I handed over the money that he had heard a noise, that they had looked but couldn't find anything and assumed a coin must have been dropped in to the dash - during my desk drives the previous weekend I had noticed nor had my passageners noticed any noise -----

So has anyone out there got any advice regarding the noise, does it sound familiar - is it likely that the work been performed on the steering will make it go away.

Any why is a steering rack and column being changed out in a 3yr old car with 27000 miles?????  Is this normal ?????

Thanks

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Fatcat and Welcome ..

Steering rack replacement in the i30 is not common but has been reported on here occasionally. if the only symptom was a bit of a rattle then it may have only been a minor part (a metal bush - not sure of the exact name of the part) Full rack replacement is normally only done if the electric steering fails completely as far as i am aware.

If the repair is done correctly then everything should be fine. Did they give you a loan car??
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :whsaid: & welcome to the forum fatcat.
Please keep us informed on the progress/result.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi fatcat, welcome to the club, albeit under annoying (for you) circumstances :(

Any why is a steering rack and column being changed out in a 3yr old car with 27000 miles?????  Is this normal ?????

As Dazzler says it's not common but not unknown. I had mine done (2008 UK model) following diagnosis of a worn coupling at the base of the steering rack. If your dealership in Ireland (?) is half decent you should get your car back soon and all should be fine, including any rogue rattles that may have been there; during my replacement they removed the entire dashboard so if they do that with yours they may well find a few Euros nesting in there. Remember to mention that you want those coins back as they're yours ;)

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline fatcat

• 1st Gear
thanks for the welcome and feedback. 
speaking with the dealership they did mentioned it was one small part of the steering rack that was worn but they said they had to change all the full part as they couldn't change just one component  but i am kinda annoyed and worried that now the column needs replacement - just very worried that the car was crashed at some stage -- all the niggly things that go through your mind...... :undecided:

Yes I have a replacement car - that is the most classically irish thing about this situation its the car i traded in when buying the hyundai - a peugeot 206 'on its last legs' which makes the waiting period very annoying........

I will let you know how it goes - currently waiting on a replacement steering column

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Greetings fatcat and welcome,

I would imagine that if the car had been accident damaged, then Hy wouldn't voluntarily replace the steering at their cost under warranty, so I doubt the car has been accident damaged.

You should find out whether the dash is being removed and the cause of the rattle investigated thoroughly, as the idea of electrically conductive coins floating around behind instruments, would constantly worry me. The steering system is electric and an unexpected turn due to a short, could kill you and others. Many pilots have died due to fires or mechanical impairment of the controls by foreign objects and just because your car is not a plane, it should be treated with the same degree of concern.

Sorry to give you further concerns, but your safety and other road users is paramount.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Try the glovebox lock, my wives rattled &was replaced under warranty.
Cheers bloodnut

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal