• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
 i30,diesel,oil low pressure lamp stays on for 3 seconds after starting,
is this normal? only 200 miles on the clock,

Pip
i30,diesel,oil low pressure lamp stays on for 3 seconds after starting,
is this normal? only 200 miles on the clock,
If that happened on mine I'd be asking the same question.  I have no explanation but agree that does NOT sound normal on initial thought but it's too late (1:45 - Wimbledon :D) to run a verification check on mine... someone will.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi tomc, welcome to the club. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

All my lamps extinguish within a couple of seconds of the engine firing; I'm pretty sure the last one to go out is the oil pressure warning, but I will check tomorrow (18:00 - Wimbledon) (it's catching!)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

My oil light comes on when I switch on and goes out within seconds when the engine fire up.

So long as it goes out almost instantly I wouldn't worry.

Do you park on an incline and it takes that little bit longer for the oil to circulate?

Play safe and pop into your dealers and ask them to look at it as there might be a slight blockage i.e. Oil too thick on start up from cold?????
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
three seconds is not too bad, but if it was coming on while driving i would worry.
could depend on temperatures, but have to remember that the CRDi motor has oil filter upside down so after car has been standing for a day i would expect a lot of oil to have drained out, when you restart it would pump oil back in and that can make oil pressure light stay on  for a second or two, i'll check mine this morning when leaving.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi tomc...

Welcome to the club... as you can see we're a helpful bunch.. I would have checked mine but I was asleep.. and it's frosty here this morning.. :P
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Pip
...three seconds is not too bad, but if it was coming on while driving i would worry.
I did a cold start and it took ~2 secs so I guess ~3 secs is normal as Lakes said.  Surprised me.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I did a cold start and it took ~2 secs so I guess ~3 secs is normal as Lakes said.  Surprised me.

Ditto. Checked this morning on a chilly start. Around 2 secs.

All my lamps extinguish within a couple of seconds of the engine firing; I'm pretty sure the last one to go out is the oil pressure warning, but I will check tomorrow

It was the last warning lamp to extinguish, apart from the handbrake & seatbelt lamps :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It was the last warning lamp to extinguish, apart from the handbrake & seatbelt lamps :)

same here but not 3 seconds .. 2 at the most.. (but I reckon yours is o/k...hopefully  :wink:)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
three seconds is not too bad, but if it was coming on while driving i would worry.
could depend on temperatures, but have to remember that the CRDi motor has oil filter upside down so after car has been standing for a day i would expect a lot of oil to have drained out, when you restart it would pump oil back in and that can make oil pressure light stay on  for a second or two, i'll check mine this morning when leaving.

Normally in filters that are orientated upside down they have a check valve in them to stop them draining back.  Havent seen an i30 one so I dont know specifically about it.  Anyone had a look when they did their own change?

Offline tomc

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bristol
Hi all, thanks for putting my mind at rest about the oil presure light on my black i30 estate, it is only a week old so I don't always know what to expect fronm it! But its a great improvement on an old knackered citroen xsara estate!!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... its a great improvement on an old knackered citroen xsara estate!!

I think a pram would be an improvement on that :lol: sorry mate

Offline ivana

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle
i had a similar worry with mine in my first week- checked the manual and it said that the light would come on and go off about three seconds after starting...

Offline wearyone

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Durham
I lost all my oil a couple of days before Christmas (Mazda 3) I'd driven back from Alnwick to Durham and heard a bang under the body about 3 miles from home (like a large stone hitting) but nothing else was apparent at the time. In hindsight the oil pressure light did not come on.

We stopped at the local shops about half a mile from home and when I started the engine there was no oil pressure and the engine sounded like a bag of bones. I managed to get home limping and down hill. The Dealer said a sump gasket was the problem but I suspect the sump oil plug had not been tightened correctly (at the recent service) and had eventually blown out under pressure. Either way no damage was done and I had the car back the following day. I just hope the same dealer will be a bit more particular with the servicing on my new Hyundai when it arrives.
The oil warning light has always been the last to go out, normally 2-3 sec's

Offline paule57

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi mine takes 2 or 3 seconds to go out to, reading above posts this seems normal . 9000ks old crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome to the forum Paul.. That is a random first post.. :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal