• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Love the video of the young girl doing an oil change, they probably edited out the parts where she smashed the jack handle into the side of the car and spilt oil everywhere :snigger:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Trevor but these articles are very lightweight aren't they. Slow news day, just pump up the site with some vague assertions (very little detail or examples) I didn't watch the video yet, but the copy was very light on!  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks Trevor but these articles are very lightweight aren't they. Slow news day, just pump up the site with some vague assertions (very little detail or examples) I didn't watch the video yet, but the copy was very light on!  :cool:
A very accurate assessment, Dazz.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Why do you think I bust my arse so much on my cars?

1. I can

2. Too many rip offs and Bullshit artists

3. if they don't fall into cat 2 then they're incompetent or simply use the near enough principle.

My wife was told I needed a hobby once by a repairer when I found bolts left out.

She laughed, told him I had one........ working on and inspecting my cars.......What a Dick Head :spitty:
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
A very accurate assessment, Dazz.

Agreed  :'(

"CAR MECHANICS are ranked among the least trustworthy professions, according to a recent study." By whom,  where was it published ?

"And the investigation revealed the dodgy tactics car repairers use to rip-off unsuspecting drivers, reports The Sun."  :rofl: a paper that relies upon dodgy news and preys upon unsuspecting readers.  :spitty:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I know a lot of people that swear (nicely) by their mechanic. We have a lot of members on here that don't trust the dealers but have an independent mechanic that can rely on.

But, back to the article they barely came up with any dodgy tactics and gave little or no detail.

Most of us regulars on here are car savvy and know what to watch out for, but the average punter could have done with a lot more detail and examples... I could have written a lot better article than that off the top of my head... (and there is not much on the top of my head)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
yes Dazz, a really disappointing article, I was hoping to find a dodgy tactic that I could use... but nada  :spitty:

Light weight as it is,  tabloid methodology is to find the victim of the day. They keep pushing buttons and suddenly bingo, a Judge , religious nut or youth group  will become their victim of the month....$$$$
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

yes Dazz, a really disappointing article, I was hoping to find a dodgy tactic that I could use... but nada  :spitty:

Light weight as it is,  tabloid methodology is to find the victim of the day. They keep pushing buttons and suddenly bingo, a Judge , religious nut or youth group  will become their victim of the month....$$$$

Yeah, I hate the way everything is a witch hunt these days. If I was a politician or a senior executive I'd be constantly looking over my shoulder. So glad I'm retired and have minimal skeletons in the cupboard.  :cool:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Ah sooooo...... you DO have something to hide Mr D. Hmmmmm and they say you are ... very wealthy.  :twisted:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I like the mechanic that I have abandoned my dealer for. My grandson had his car serviced there the other day and he asked them to inspect for the car giving a rough noisy ride. They reported that they inspected all the suspension,shocks etc and that the the rough running is due to the cheap tyres he put on the rear that are scalloped slightly. Did he advise new tyres ? yes he did but he also said "  they have plenty of tread left and as you have not got false teeth if I was you I would run them until they wore out " :lol: Suits my grandson, Uni is keeping him tight on money.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That's a good mechanic right there. Reminds me of the OEM tyres on the back that had me convinced of some kind of serious joint wear. The mighty Diamondbacks fixed that. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
That's a good mechanic right there. Reminds me of the OEM tyres on the back that had me convinced of some kind of serious joint wear. The mighty Diamondbacks fixed that. :lol:

:goodjob2: To be honest Gonz I was convinced the rear shock absorbers were cactus.  I am convinced that had it been a big dealer they would have found many not required repairs.  :disapp: Go the Mighty Diamondbacks a !! sounds like a baseball team. :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I like the mechanic that I have abandoned my dealer for. My grandson had his car serviced there the other day and he asked them to inspect for the car giving a rough noisy ride. They reported that they inspected all the suspension,shocks etc and that the the rough running is due to the cheap tyres he put on the rear that are scalloped slightly. Did he advise new tyres ? yes he did but he also said "  they have plenty of tread left and as you have not got false teeth if I was you I would run them until they wore out " :lol: Suits my grandson, Uni is keeping him tight on money.
What car and mileage?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

:goodjob2: To be honest Gonz I was convinced the rear shock absorbers were cactus.  I am convinced that had it been a big dealer they would have found many not required repairs.  :disapp: Go the Mighty Diamondbacks a !! sounds like a baseball team. :snigger:
Certainly scalloping on the rear tyres would point towards either soft shocks order alignment issues. Something to be looked at when money isn't so tight.
But yes, a good honest mechanic.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ah sooooo...... you DO have something to hide Mr D. Hmmmmm and they say you are ... very wealthy.  :twisted:

No comment was the stern reply.. some say I am still holding on to the first $1 I earned...  :whistler:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Certainly scalloping on the rear tyres would point towards either soft shocks order alignment issues. Something to be looked at when money isn't so tight.
But yes, a good honest mechanic.
Amen :victory:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
What car and mileage?

Ford Focus getting on a bit ( 2003 )    133.000km . Will definitely change the shockers anyway and get a full check of suspension & alignment anyway before fitting new tyres , I have already changed bushes on rear suspension a few months ago to eliminate a rattle. Fortunately the shockers are fitted outside of the coil springs that makes them easy to change. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Unless under warranty. Tested no fault found.....

But how about an Air conditioner service and disinfect?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Shocks don't last as long some may think especially some of the OEM stuff. If there's one thing that's has a huge impact on vehicle stability and braking ability it's shocks. I'd say high probability this is why the tyres are wearing.

Both my hatch and the wagon have suffered squared off tyres  in the rear. Not always obvious on smooth  roads.

They both now have japanese KYB EXCEL G, avoid those unknown cheapies on Ebay. Not sure where Monroe sits these days

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Shocks don't last as long some may think especially some of the OEM stuff. If there's one thing that's has a huge impact on vehicle stability and braking ability it's shocks. I'd say high probability this is why the tyres are wearing.

Both my hatch and the wagon have suffered squared off tyres  in the rear. Not always obvious on smooth  roads.

They both now have japanese KYB EXCEL G, avoid those unknown cheapies on Ebay. Not sure where Monroe sits these days
That reminds me, I must get around to fitting some Bilstein shocks before long to suit my Eibach springs, 60k on her now so by around 70k I'll need em.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

That reminds me, I must get around to fitting some Bilstein shocks before long to suit my Eibach springs, 60k on her now so by around 70k I'll need em.
I'm on a beer budget :lol:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'll be on a water budget after I buy them :)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

:lol: And a decarb plus throw some new wipers on.  :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

:lol: And a decarb plus throw some new wipers on.  :snigger:
And a change of blinker fluid and airbag recharge. :lol:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
 :goodjob2:  :rofl: Good job they did away with ashtrays otherwise there would be a charge to empty that. :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
:goodjob2:  :rofl: Good job they did away with ashtrays otherwise there would be a charge to empty that. :snigger:

Never have to empty the ashtray on top of the dash in the FD, its huge.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Never have to empty the ashtray on top of the dash in the FD, its huge.

Ohhh!
YUK!

Besides, the ash would obscure Gonz's GPS screen.  :disapp:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

What I'm worried about ( as I see people with fag's in there mouth driving ) where do the ash & fag's go now?

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
What I'm worried about ( as I see people with fag's in there mouth driving ) where do the ash & fag's go now?
I have a suggestion but the nicotine addicts would find it offensive. :whistler:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal