i30 Owners Club

Boot capacity of new PD i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We do a fair bit of road tripping in our i30 SR. And I tend to take everything but the kitchen sink. Recently we did a 4 night getaway with another couple so had 4 small cases numerous extra bags of shoes and coats and stuff. Heading up to the mountains.  Staying in self contained cabins so also took a medium esky and two bags of food.

I have learnt from our previous road trips by putting the boot floor on the lowest setting and ditching the parcel shelf you can easily fit another 100 litres or so and still have rear vision. We have a rubber lined picnic rug which we use as a privacy screen when we do this. See pictures. These were taken when we got home before we unpacked. It was a bit fuller when we set off, but we ate a fair bit so doesn't look as full as it was.  :snigger:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline MIY

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Pitesti
When traveling with another couple, any hatchback’s trunk is not enough.
Here’s my solution
  • 2017 i30 1.4 T-GDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

"Fairy Nuff" but they aren't cheap and you need a roof rack + extra wind resistance! I'll trick with my solution for now!  :victory:

Try my method it is surprisingly effective!  :happydance:

Offline Bitsumishi

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Brisbane, Queensland
(Apologies for hijacking this thread...)
I have a (now ancient) 2011 FD i30 and am constantly amazed at the carrying capacity of this vehicle. With the seats down it turns into a virtually flat 'box', so has heaps of space. For my son's 21st birthday party we had to decide between our Ford XR6 or the i30 to carry (large!) eskies, a table, trolley, boxes of food, decorations, etc. etc. etc.
It ALL fitted into the i30 with space to spare - what am amazing, versatile little beast! :happydance:
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
(Apologies for hijacking this thread...)
I have a (now ancient) 2011 FD i30 and am constantly amazed at the carrying capacity of this vehicle. With the seats down it turns into a virtually flat 'box', so has heaps of space. For my son's 21st birthday party we had to decide between our Ford XR6 or the i30 to carry (large!) eskies, a table, trolley, boxes of food, decorations, etc. etc. etc.
It ALL fitted into the i30 with space to spare - what am amazing, versatile little beast! :happydance:
You won't get any arguments form us on here.
Ask @Dazzler how many bricks he carted in his.
I could fit a 9'6" surfboard with the fin still in place in mine.
And when my daughter sent four large cartons of stuff back from Darwin a few years ago, I rocked up to the transport depot at Hendra to pick them up and the guy in charge asked me where I was going to put them. When I laid the seats down and stacked them in he just shook his head. Then when I tied the queen size ensemble bed on the roof racks as well, he wanted to take a photo.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:25:59 by Surferdude »
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Found a picture of when I carted bricks in the FD (about 70 at a time)  :crazy1:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal