i30 Owners Club

Servicing i30 - spark plug dimensions?

astn945 · 18 · 7800

Offline astn945

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
Hi guys. I've recently bought a 57 plate i30 Comfort 1.4 (109 PS). The car is now due a service and I'm looking for some spark plugs for it, only I'm getting mixed search results on sizes. Some sites are showing 12mm and some 14mm. Can someone let me know what size one this car actually takes? Thanks, Alex
  • (57 reg) Hyundai i30 1.4 Comfort (109 PS)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi guys. I've recently bought a 57 plate i30 Comfort 1.4 (109 PS). The car is now due a service and I'm looking for some spark plugs for it, only I'm getting mixed search results on sizes. Some sites are showing 12mm and some 14mm. Can someone let me know what size one this car actually takes? Thanks, Alex

For those who aren't living in the UK (which is a good amount) that is, presumably, a 2007 i30.   Of course the UK (rego) nn plate number has no direct link to which MY (year model spec it was made to) year it was - just when first registered.  However presumably it is MY07 - or an 07 produced MY08, it is very highly unlikely to be an MY06 (though possible) EDIT: actually it is impossible in the case of the i30 which went on sale on the 1st Sept in the UK (thanks eye30) however had it been possible... presumably these would have been got rid of earlier in 2007 so would have be "56 plate" or "07 plate".
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 14:54:37 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Though for the 2010 model it looks like it was covered here - I don't think they would have changed spark plug sizes on the same engine model in between time.

But maybe if someone else can confirm....

:link: 1.4 petrol spark plugs

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

I see what you mean - http://www.caarparts.co.uk/service-parts/spark-plugs-petrol/Hyundai/i30/all/1.4/2007/Parts.aspx - is showing both 12 & 14 for 'Fitment Dia.' for the exact same engine  :crazy1:

I am assuming it has something to do with the width of the collar above/below (depending on point of view) the 'nut' for tightening - rather than the diameter of the thread (all though the length of plugs in the images seem to be different... but I am assuming they are 'generic' rather than 'specific' images of that 'model' of spark-plug.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
ibrokeit@ sounds like you know as much about their plate system as me "nothing" :lol: I'll leave it for one of the locals to answer :winker:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Instead of worrying whether they are 12 or 14mm, I'd just buy some off ebay which lists your model... :D

Something like this: :link: HYUNDAI i20 1.4 & i30 1.4 & 1.6 SPARK PLUGS set of 4 BNIB | eBay

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
ibrokeit@ sounds like you know as much about their plate system as me "nothing" :lol: I'll leave it for one of the locals to answer :winker:

Hehe the plate system is relatively simple - the trouble is people quote their 'plate' number almost like it directly identifies year and/or model year of manufacture.  When all it does is id, within a 6 month block, the time of first registration.

Basically it goes March 1st->Aug 31st = the two digit code of current year (e.g. last year between those dates it was "15"); then Sept 1st to last day of Feb (the next year) 50 is added to the two digit code used in the previous period (e.g. 15+50 = 65) i.e. an i30 brought and registered today will be "65" plate.

Unsurprisingly both purchasers and/or vendors (depending on business requirements), if nearing the end of the 'plate' year, like to delay into the next 'plate' year esp. if the vehicle in question is from last year (and is last years model) - because it makes it seem to be current year.  Purchasers because they get a car that appears to be the current year - even if it isn't - possibly at a discount if vendor is trying to make room for new stock.  Vendors, if they aren't trying to clear stock, but rather trying to get as much as they can - will try to pass it off as the new years stock, rather than last years.

In the most common scenario you could have an MY15 i30 and an MY16 i30 with the same badge both being 1st registered today - both will be "65" plate and people will assume they are exactly the same... as we know some years there is basically no variation of spec and other there are update/upgrade done across the i30 range or just for specific badges.   In an less likely, but possible, scenario If a dealer happens to have an MY15 i30 (lets say received very late in 2015 for what ever reason - this is just an example) and doesn't manage to move it (or register it) until 1st Sept 2016 - then it gets an "66" plate... which is the same plate that an MY17 model (produced later in 2016) will get if registered early in 2017.   Meaning you, potentially, can have cars that spec wise are up to two years old - being passed as current year.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:20:44 by ibrokeit »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
All to confusing to me, I think half of the problem is I don't want to understand :lol:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
All to confusing to me, I think half of the problem is I don't want to understand :lol:

You will understand if it kills me, or you.  :rofl:

Seriously though - I much prefer the Australian 'plate' for the above reason.

For those who are unaware (not you CraigB) - the Australian 'plate' references the VIN number and the build year and other info (rather than first registration) - so represent more when/what year spec it was built to.   You commonly, beginning about now, see 'plate sales' being run by manufactures with discounts and/or extras - as they try to get the 2015 'plated' models shifted... knowing that any buyer can reasonably easy determine if a new never registered vehicle is, in fact, from the previous year.

Offline astn945

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to get the 14mm diameter ones that come as part of a service kit on eBay. I've looked on about 4 or 5 car parts sites now and the 14mm seem to be coming more in the search results than the 12mm. I was only initially confused because on the description for the service kit it says "please check thread diameter specs as some models are fitted with 12mm" even though like on other websites I had entered my reg so would of though the parts that came up would be the correct ones lol
  • (57 reg) Hyundai i30 1.4 Comfort (109 PS)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Maybe our world class tech may be able to shed some light on which one is correct.

Offline astn945

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

For those who aren't living in the UK (which is a good amount) that is, presumably, a 2007 i30.   Of course the UK (rego) nn plate number has no direct link to which MY (year model spec it was made to) year it was - just when first registered.  However presumably it is MY07 - or an 07 produced MY08, it is very highly unlikely to be an MY06 (though possible) as presumably these would have been got rid of earlier in 2007 so would have be "56 plate" or "07 plate".

the i30 went on sales in the uk on 1 september 2007.

I bought my 1st i30 in mid sept and from the vin number I was able to calculate it was made circa May 2007.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to get the 14mm diameter ones that come as part of a service kit on eBay. I've looked on about 4 or 5 car parts sites now and the 14mm seem to be coming more in the search results than the 12mm. I was only initially confused because on the description for the service kit it says "please check thread diameter specs as some models are fitted with 12mm" even though like on other websites I had entered my reg so would of though the parts that came up would be the correct ones lol

Ring dealer who should be able to tell you based on vin
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
For those who aren't living in the UK (which is a good amount) that is, presumably, a 2007 i30.   Of course the UK (rego) nn plate number has no direct link to which MY (year model spec it was made to) year it was - just when first registered.  However presumably it is MY07 - or an 07 produced MY08, it is very highly unlikely to be an MY06 (though possible) as presumably these would have been got rid of earlier in 2007 so would have be "56 plate" or "07 plate".

the i30 went on sales in the uk on 1 september 2007.

I bought my 1st i30 in mid sept and from the vin number I was able to calculate it was made circa May 2007.

Ahh - good point.  Though I could still claim I was correct (at least partially) - it would be highly unlikely in that case  :D   I have adjusted my post.

Anyway my point was to give the likely year for those not familiar with the system - and indicate why it can be imprecise.

The VIN, as you state, is the most accurate and definitive form.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 14:55:28 by ibrokeit »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Why not take one out and measure it  :idea:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal