i30 Owners Club

The Edinburgh Military Tattoo

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I have to say this is one of the highlights of my television viewing year.
 The ABC has always broadcast the Tattoo around New Year and I can remember as a young teenager (or perhaps 11-12) seeing one in black and white on a New Years Day.
I think I saw 2 or 3 from that era then lost touch with it but have been watching pretty much every year for the last 10 or so.
The ABC still airs it around New Year ((New Years Eve in 2010) and so, as an oldie who doesn't go out for NYE anymore I watched it last night.
One thing which occurs to me is the logistics of housing and transporting the performers every night for three weeks. It's a wonder there's any accommodation left for the quarter million or so who see it live every year.
I suspect when I die it will be one of the few regrets of my life that I didn't get to see the Tattoo live.
I know people who've been there and they say you are squashed in like sardines but I'd happily put up with that.
I've stood on the parking lot where the Tatto takes place and it's hard to imagine how they fit everything into such a small place. looks much bigger on TV.
Anyway, as usual, an awesome spectacle and I just love the pipers and drummers.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I have been once, but no problem with being packed in, I was playing in the massed pipes and drums :goodjob: :goodjob:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i watched a tattoo once where a canon on a wagon was assembled, and disassembled ,carried from one end of a Field and reassembled. then back to the other side of the Field and fired.  :sweating: :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
i watched a tattoo once where a canon on a wagon was assembled, and disassembled ,carried from one end of a Field and reassembled. then back to the other side of the Field and fired.  :sweating: :razz:

Yep. I remember the ones when I was a kid had gun carriages and cannon firing and everything. Awesome.

nemesisau
My family is from Scotland, and when we visited when I was about 7 we went to the Tattoo. I don't remember being squashed in, but I do remember it being amazing :) we also visited the castle before it was on, and that courtyard is smaller than it looks...
Bumpkin, when were you in it? Do you play the pipes?

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
To clarify things a little - the people I know who've been would have to be called a "little wide in the beam".  :winker:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Not a piper, I can play bass, tenor and snare drum, it would have been 1986 when I played there!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Not a piper, I can play bass, tenor and snare drum, it would have been 1986 when I played there!

A bright eyed and bushy tailed 16 y/o wee Scottish lad. :goodjob: :cool:

Sent from my laptop using keyboard.  :rolleyes:

nemesisau

That would have been the time I was there I think... 86 I'm pretty sure. Guess I was 8 at the time.

Sent from my iPad while in bed  :wink:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

That would have been the time I was there I think... 86 I'm pretty sure. Guess I was 8 at the time.

Sent from my iPad while in bed  :wink:
:lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal