New i30 - Roadtrip round South Africa

duncanb · 18 · 5847

Offline duncanb

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      Cape Town

• i30 1.6 GLS Manual
Hi All,

What a great forum! I did my first post last night about a few queries I had about my new i30 and got a great response. Thanks to everyone for that. I wish some of the technical forums I go to for support were that useful.

One of the responses to my post was from Dazzler who showed interest in seeing pics of the roadtrip I mentioned, and for some reason I feel compelled to upload some. Now obviously there are stacks of pics from this trip, but I limited it to the more i30-related ones.

Introduction: I bought a brand new i30 as a wedding present for myself and somehow convinced my bride-to-be that a roadtrip round South Africa would make a good honeymoon. The car was bought new in Cape Town, and I did 960km in the few months before going on the trip. Over the next 2 weeks we did just over 5,500kms touching on every province and seeing a whole lot of the country, reminding us of what a beautiful place we live in. The car's called Bullet.

#1: About 1,900km in - Limpopo Province  near Blyde River Canyon. That's me. Very proud of my new car am I.

#2: About 2,300km in - at the border post entering Swaziland. Note the cow. At the border post. The border post! Swaziland was awesome though. Super friendly people and great prices on accommodation and food.

#3: About 2,500km in - still in Swaziland. These goats on the road belong to the king and dare not be touched by anyone. This pic doesn't even show half of them. And the maximum NATIONAL speed limit is 80km/h because of this stuff. Usually lower. Except for the roughly 100km of highway in the country which, whew, goes up to 120 km/h. Fortunately it's a tiny country.

#4: About 2,800km in - filling up just before leaving Swaziland back into South Africa as petrol is, like, 5% cheaper there.

#5: About 3,700km in - a backpackers we stayed in in the Transkei. A very beautiful place, but passing through such run-down looking places to get there. The Eastern Cape has loads of natural beauty, but not much in the way of infrastructure.

#6: About 4,400km in - I love this "brochure" pic of Bullet. Taken where she parked overnight looking over a beautiful canyon in a place called Hogs Back. There's just one tarred road coming in, and you've gotta travel the same 150km or so to get back out. Very worth it though. Magical place. Apparently where JRR Tolkien got inspiration for Lord of the Rings.

#7: Same place - This was Bullet's view of the canyon overnight. The rondawel we stayed in was on the left there even closer to the canyon edge. 1 x cold night + 1 x roaring fireplace + 1 x great car awaiting outside = bliss!

#8: About 5,000km in - Just left Oudtshoorn and crossed that mountain range - the Swartberg Pass. Amazing views and all dirt roads which Bullet handled brilliantly. This side of the pass was "closed" and we had to squeeze round that sign on the left to get past.

And then back home to Cape Town! Lotsa road and lotsa fun, and lotsa cool tunes on the (surprisingly good) sound system (with 6GB worth of music on the USB stick), and I miss spending hours at a time in my i30.

Thanks for listening all. I have no idea why I've spent so much time and effort sharing this online. I'm not even on the usual social networks. I think I'm just happy with my car and am happy to share with others who are. Weird.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Enjoyed the pictures.

The views are stunning.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of the countryside, so if you want to show all just upload to a hosting site like PB or similar and post the link.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Amazing story and brilliantly narrated, with superb pics. Probably in the top ten best club posts of all time :goodjob:

(after all my posts of course :P)

Thanks for sharing :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great post Duncan. :happydance:..

Don't be embarrassed, I'm not normally a blogger either but look how many posts this club has made me do.. :scared:

Such a friendly place and most of us are very passionate about our i30s (so you will fit in really well)

Hope you keep visiting for a long time to come  :goodjob2:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Nice pictures and thanks for sharing. Great trip, keep on going.  :happydance:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
What a fantastic roadtrip!.....

Really enjoyed the photos & narration. :goodjob:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Yes, what everyone else has said +++....

Very intersting, I don't think we have had a South African corespeondent, so it looks like the job is yours by default  :happydance: :happydance:  you can always slips some of the other pics in from time to time and show us what the place is like, we would be interested  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Hitman

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Cape Town

Very intersting, I don't think we have had a South African corespeondent, so it looks like the job is yours by default

erm... I'm South African :P

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Very intersting, I don't think we have had a South African corespeondent, so it looks like the job is yours by default

erm... I'm South African :P

excellent  :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr

Offline duncanb

• 1st Gear

• za South Africa
      Cape Town

• i30 1.6 GLS Manual
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. It makes the effort of putting the post and pics together totally worthwhile.

And Hi Hitman. I think I've seen your car with the Hitman logo before - Liesbeek Parkway I think. Hope you've not been blown away by all the wind recently!

Offline Hitman

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Cape Town
And Hi Hitman. I think I've seen your car with the Hitman logo before - Liesbeek Parkway I think. Hope you've not been blown away by all the wind recently!

Yep that's my normal route to and from work. Give me a way next time you see me.

Nah not to bothered by the wind.... but this extremely cold weather is something else ... brrrrrrrr

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

I painted you :D

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
Hello!!!
Nice I30, very nice pics, but...were is your better half???  :)

Offline Hitman

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Cape Town
Hello!!!

She's taking the pics :P

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hello!!!

She's taking the pics :P

:question: ????????
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal