i30 Owners Club

Adjusting door after it was caught by the wind.

briandk · 15 · 3874

Offline briandk

• 2nd Gear
It's very windy here today, so when I dropped my girlfriend off at her work, I told her to watch the door when she opened it, which she of cause promptly ignored.

Now the door still seems to shut tight, but it sounds wrong when I close it.
The sound comes from the lock area where the mechanism doesn't fit perfectly around the U shaped thing on the chassis. If I push down on the door while closing it, it sounds normal so I am guessing the door shifted up a little.

I was thinking of just trying to push down the door a bit and see if stuff goes back, but I am also afraid of screwing it up more than it is. Do you guys think it's something that can be adjusted at the hinges of the door or should I take it to a shop/live with the sound?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
What did it hit and is it visibly damaged?
Where abouts are you located?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline briandk

• 2nd Gear
What did it hit and is it visibly damaged?

It didn't actually hit anything, the wind just caught it like a sail and forced it to open *really* hard.

I am in Denmark, so probably a bit a way from everything :)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

OK, I understand.
We'll wait and see what others think. Maybe it is something that a body repair shop could do very easily and quickly by just applying pressure in the right place.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

He is outside his car looking at the door and scratching his head  :whistler:

Sorry to hear that Brian I would get the dealer to see if they can adjust it next time you are passing (don't try and force it the other way)

It might settle in time with the up and down movements of the car over uneven roads etc.. 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Have you had a good look at it? It could have a crease in it. At best I would say the hinges are bent/stretched.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I told her to watch the door when she opened it, which she of cause promptly ignored.

Do you guys think it's something that can be adjusted

I'm surprised nobody has suggested getting a new girlfriend... :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I told her to watch the door when she opened it, which she of cause promptly ignored.

She probably has other attributes that the i30 can't match.  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Close the door and check all the seals from the outside. If the gap between the body etc looks normal then there is an adjustment of the U piece (striker). Next time at the dealer, complain that the door doesn't close normally and ask if they can adjust the "striker" to rectify. Should be an easy fix for them. Don't force the door down or apply any force to the door at all.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Have you had a good look at it? It could have a crease in it. At best I would say the hinges are bent/stretched.

:whsaid:

Offline briandk

• 2nd Gear
I looked but don't see any visible signs of damage at all, so hoping it's just a hinge that got bend.
When the door is closed it also seems to fit perfectly in the frame. It's a matter of the door being maybe 1 mm too high now and closing it over the striker forces it to be lowered a bit and fit.

As for the girlfriend, she is very remorseful and I will of cause use that to the fullest :)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hej Brian

You can adjust the striker by loosening the 2 screws in it slightly. Don't remove the screws, just loosen a little bit. Then you hit the striker from the downside to move it a little bit upwards. Tighten the screws again, and close the door to see if it fits better. Repeat if necessary.

Doing this will lift the door a bit, so it might not be aligned with the rear door any longer, but it will most likely remove the noise when closing the door.

If you don't get a satisfactory result doing this, you might hear the dealer if it is possible to adjust the hinges.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Close the door and check all the seals from the outside. If the gap between the body etc looks normal then there is an adjustment of the U piece (striker). Next time at the dealer, complain that the door doesn't close normally and ask if they can adjust the "striker" to rectify. Should be an easy fix for them. Don't force the door down or apply any force to the door at all.
take it to the dealers to re adjust it,it just started doing it,honest.  :whistler: :idea: :winker:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I'd suggest that if the hinges are not bent and the door not creased, that the damage may be (if there is any) to the hinge post on the car itself, a twist motion that has shifted the door position slightly. If that is the case there may be an opportunity to adjust the hinges rather than the lock striker plate.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Problem is they all do it.....  :whistler:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal