i30 Owners Club

i30 Electric Folding Mirrors

Offline clifftango

• 1st Gear
I have a 2013 model with electric folding mirrors.
I have noticed while folding/unfolding - the timing of the 2 mirrors is slightly out (one is faster than the other)
Kindly asking anyone notice or encounter this? Is this normal?
Thx
  • i30 2013 Elite

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
As long as the difference is not excessive and they function fully, it would be normal. I would guess that as the wiring to each door is a different length and path, there may be a slight difference in the available current to drive the motors.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
:wttc: clifftango
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Welcome Clifftango , you have come to the right place to get your answers and advice .  :welcum:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I have to ask this... why does it matter, as long as they both fold completely?

Mine fold at different rates too: the passenger mirror fully folds within 3 seconds; the driver mirror takes longer as I have to wind the window down and tease it into starting :lol:

Welcome aboard, by the way :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Maybe I'm stoopid,for the life of me I have never understood why anyone would want to fold their mirrors,surely if you have to fold your mirrors in to park,surely the spot is far too narrow for the car and you wouldn't be able to get out either.

In three years of having Bruce and Cyril,I'm lucky if I've even touched the Mirror adjustment,three times and I have never folded my mirrors in,can anyone explain the logic of this practice.

As for your question I thing Phil's answer sounds good to me,as does Shambles
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I can count on seven fingers the number of times I've folded my mirrors. The only time I really needed to was when a BMW came over to my side of the road and we kissed mirrors - I hit the button as I saw him coming upto the coach parked on his side of the road, but my RH mirror didn't budge.

Pretty sure I posted a vid of this menage-a-deux.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
for the life of me I have never understood why anyone would want to fold their mirrors
Traffic restriction (narrowing) bollards on some of our small town/village roads, restricted vehicle access gateways, narrow width garages, passing other vehicles in lanes, (with equally protruding mirrors)......

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
for the life of me I have never understood why anyone would want to fold their mirrors
Traffic restriction (narrowing) bollards on some of our small town/village roads, restricted vehicle access gateways, narrow width garages, passing other vehicles in lanes, (with equally protruding mirrors)......

Bloody Nora you need to get a bigger country  :rofl: :rofl: bad when they're putting bollards on your roads,is that to stop you using them,Oh! wait the people with folding mirrors can use em  :lol: by the sounds of it, Glad I don't drive a truck over there
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Bloody Nora you need to get a bigger country  :rofl: :rofl: bad when they're putting bollards on your roads,is that to stop you using them,Oh! wait the people with folding mirrors can use em  :lol: by the sounds of it,
Maybe, but we can use most of it :whistler:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Bloody Nora you need to get a bigger country  :rofl: :rofl: bad when they're putting bollards on your roads,is that to stop you using them,Oh! wait the people with folding mirrors can use em  :lol: by the sounds of it,

Very True,but at least we're not tripping over each other  :laughter:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Very True,but at least we're not tripping over each other  :laughter:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My wife's Corolla has folding mirrors.
They are great in any public car park.
Have you never had your mirror banged into by ignoramases passing between cars with shopping trollies?
Wonderful invention.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Don't the mirrors on the Premium fold due to key proximity  :question:

Offline Bushy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mordialloc, Victoria

• 2013 i30 Elite Tourer CRDI Auto "Cool Red"
The mirrors on my Elite unfold as I get close with the key.  Basically have them set to fold  like Surferdude to reduce the chance of some bozo in a car park hitting them with a trolley or something as I have had that happen before.
  • 2013 i30 Tourer Elite CRDI 1.6L D Auto Red

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

My wife's Corolla has folding mirrors.
They are great in any public car park.
Have you never had your mirror banged into by ignoramases passing between cars with shopping trollies?
Wonderful invention.

:whsaid:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Bloody Nora you need to get a bigger country  :rofl: :rofl: bad when they're putting bollards on your roads,is that to stop you using them,Oh! wait the people with folding mirrors can use em  :lol: by the sounds of it, Glad I don't drive a truck over there

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That's the funniest thing i've read in ages Rick.. You should come over to the Melbourne Comedy Festival (as a guest artist)  :happydance:

But don't bring your truck... Lots of laneways over here.. :Shocked:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That's the funniest thing i've read in ages Rick.. You should come over to the Melbourne Comedy Festival (as a guest artist)  :happydance:

Blokes at work reckon I'm pretty funny,not sure why I'm always so serious and I still don't fold my mirrors,mine aren't electric,so pushing them in and pulling them out is to much effort,if I happen to see someone knock my mirrors in a carpark with a shopping trolley,I just use their heads to reshape the trolley,problem solved.  :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:D :goodjob:

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
The mirrors allow me to use our garage that is quite narrow. I park well to the starboard,  fold the electric mirrors so I can open my door to get out and this then allows my master (wife) to get out on her side.
And for Rick, I recall from early study in Aviation that for straight and level flight  "Drag must equal Thrust" I suppose if I was to fold the mirrors when on the highway at high speed (reduce drag) I would be able to maintain the same speed with reduced thrust (less fuel) It works on aircraft so now can we say an i30 is like an F18 and folding mirrors saves fuel   :snigger:
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Tis a strange topic this, as the op clifftango joined to ask this question and hasn't returned to see the excellent responses.

Weird :eek:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Tis a strange topic this, as the op clifftango joined to ask this question and hasn't returned to see the excellent responses.
Seems to be the way of the world, folk ask for solutions, then ignore any helpful response  :(
A simple acknowledgement that they had even seen a response could be, at the least, acceptable (& polite)  :)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Seems to be the way of the world, folk ask for solutions, then ignore any helpful response  :(
A simple acknowledgement that they had even seen a response could be, at the least, acceptable (& polite)  :)

Agree, and sometimes you get ones that abuse those that give helpful advice. Still have not heard back about the seized engine with the disappearing oil either.  :disapp:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Agree, and sometimes you get ones that abuse those that give helpful advice. Still have not heard back about the seized engine with the disappearing oil either.  :disapp:
Yep, glad you noticed as well, also the rear door that would not open....
Yes, Weird. I'm pleased that I'm not the only one  :goodjob2:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well, there can be many legitimate reasons for not returning, either way it's interesting for those who participate.

We assume that each person comes here with no other agenda. Those that do, soon start to show their true colours.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Still have not heard back about the seized engine with the disappearing oil either.  :disapp:
Considering Phil's last post & possible "hidden agendas", maybe it/some problems did not happen at all  :undecided:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
bahahahaha what the ......?  :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looks like we may have been foiled again!  :Shocked:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal