i30 Owners Club

No aircon gas in 2012 i30

rickai · 8 · 1934

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
I got in an accident, damaged the front passenger wheels pretty bad, i think steering is partially gone too. It'll all be covered by insurance anyways. But um, the repairer called me today asking why my aircon has no gas in it. I have no idea what he meant and I assume that is bad. Could it be from the accident? I mean, everything works fine before the accident. Will it damage my aircon if there were no gas in it?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If the aircon was getting cold before you had the accident, then I think you can assume it was caused by the accident. Aircon without gas is useless..

May still be covered under warranty though if no obvious accident damage... although it is a limited warranty due to the risk of stone damage etc..  :undecided:

Good luck with it either way!  :Good_luck:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The pipes that carry the refrigerant are normally aluminium which is not known for it's ruggedness. Your accident could have created a hairline crack in the pipe or a fracture. You need to have the aircond re-gassed and checked with a UV light to find any leaks. I'm reasonably certain that oil which lubricates the  compressor, also travels with the gas, so I wouldn't run the A/C until it is fixed.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The aircon clutch won't activate the compressor if there's no gas in the system, so no harm can be done (it simply won't operate without gas pressure).
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That's a really smart feature, Steve. Thanks! :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Thanks all for the replies, it had me worried for a bit. When I thought about it, heater works same as cold aircon right? So they both wouldn't work if there's no gas in it? It's just i don't think the last 2 months we had any hot days that need the air con.

Anyways, NRMA guarantees the repairs for life which sounds better than warranty? Not sure how that works out coincide with warranty from Hyundai but I should be covered.

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Visited the repairer today, asked them about the A/C problem. Apparently they filled it with some gas to find leaks but there's none. No one could explain why there were no gas in it in the first place. It's like someone between post-accident and at the repairer stole my gas!  :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :wacko: :Dunno:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal