i30 Owners Club

SLX Manual Query - Clutch Friction Point?

Pip
Quote from: eye30 link=topic=3461.msg45477#msg45477 date=12583 72492
BTW brakes also snatch but am hoping that will improve when they wear in,   
After 4 weeks they should be well and truely bedded in. 

I'd be asking them to also check the brakes when it's in.
I'm going to offer a different opinion, with respect.  My brakes grabbed terribly to the point I was considering complaining but held of for several months - maybe six or more from memory.

They did come good - and are now very good.  I am light on the brakes (I never had any pad repacements in last car that did 220Km+) and you may be also slow to bed the brakes if you are a light user.

Offline gw

• 2nd Gear
My petrol /manual i30 has the same problem and its two years old.I contacted hyundai technical department[head office]but I didnt get any help. Next I took my car to a fuel EFI mechanic and I paid for an assessment.The mechanic told me that the cars computor is programmed to starve the engine of fuel when you first drive off so that it meets the Austalian EFI fuel emissions standards.If you let the clutch out at 1500 revs it will drive off better but I dont think thats any good for the clutch.I told Hyundai about this but they were not interested.Hyundai dont have an upgraded program yet.I made further queries to another fuel EFI mechanic in the city and he said that an after market program was not available for the I30 yet.I hope this helps.Ive been told that there are people out there who can re program the cars computor to fix problems  like this. I was also told that it costs a lot of money to write the programs for the cars computors so some vehicle manufacturers dont put good programs on their vehicles citing costs as their excuse.Hyundai knows that the clutch isnt covered by warranty if it burns out prematurely. By the way I am very happy with my car and this is my only complaint. It would be an absolute joy to drive though if they upgraded the computor program and it would also increase their sales.I had a Holden Vectra V6 once and Holden upgrade all their computor programs at the end of every month. My Vectra had a problem with the computor program and they just simply changed it. GW.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome GW

I am guessing you have a petrol model.. Not a lot of clutch failures I can recall mentioned on this site but generally Hyundai are pretty agreeable with warranty claims during the 5 year warranty period..  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... By the way I am very happy with my car and this is my only complaint. ...

Well that's great to hear GW, and welcome to our humble club :D . As Dazz says, the warranty is there should you need it.

(PS.. the management system is governed by a computer not a computor :P . Sorry to be picky but I know a lot of members actually do work with computers for a living, and they'd be cringing at that right now :P )
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
... By the way I am very happy with my car and this is my only complaint. ...

Well that's great to hear GW, and welcome to our humble club :D . As Dazz says, the warranty is there should you need it.

(PS.. the management system is governed by a computer not a computor :P . Sorry to be picky but I know a lot of members actually do work with computers for a living, and they'd be cringing at that right now :P )
  :eek:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline gw

• 2nd Gear
HANDY HINT -  I forgot to mention this the other day. To prevent the car from stalling and to achieve a smooth drive off follow this procedure. Take your foot completly off the accelerator pedal and very very slowly release the clutch pedal and your car will drive off smoothly. As soon as the car stops increasing in speed put your foot on the accelerator and drive off. I don't know the science behind it as to why the car drives by itself though. The only problem is it's no good if you need to drive off in a hurry say for axample at traffic lights,roundabouts,merging into traffic etc. Doing so may infuriate the drivers waiting behind you. Good if you live some where away from busy traffic way out in the country. I hope this maybe of some assistance and i'm glad that i can help. GW.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
HANDY HINT -  I forgot to mention this the other day. To prevent the car from stalling and to achieve a smooth drive off follow this procedure. Take your foot completly off the accelerator pedal and very very slowly release the clutch pedal and your car will drive off smoothly. As soon as the car stops increasing in speed put your foot on the accelerator and drive off. I don't know the science behind it as to why the car drives by itself though. The only problem is it's no good if you need to drive off in a hurry say for axample at traffic lights,roundabouts,merging into traffic etc. Doing so may infuriate the drivers waiting behind you. Good if you live some where away from busy traffic way out in the country. I hope this maybe of some assistance and i'm glad that i can help. GW.

I'm guessing you are talking about the Diesel (CRDi) model GW .. it is the petrol that is the staller the Diesel has Anti Stall feature...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal