i30 Owners Club

Strange Noise

lvarella · 89 · 26028

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
hi again m8

i just watched ur clip... and as an old mechanic it dosent sounds like broken/uneven ajusted Tappets.....

to me it sounds like a heat protection shield on the exhaust manifold or at the exhaust pipe it self... likes it not secured probably.

if thats not the case its could some engine berings or waterpump housing wheel.. or just a broken belt ajustment wheel

Z:

Offline lvarella

• 2nd Gear

• br Brazil
      Rio de Janeiro
hi again m8

i just watched ur clip... and as an old mechanic it dosent sounds like broken/uneven ajusted Tappets.....

to me it sounds like a heat protection shield on the exhaust manifold or at the exhaust pipe it self... likes it not secured probably.

if thats not the case its could some engine berings or waterpump housing wheel.. or just a broken belt ajustment wheel

Z:

Hummmm

When I get the car to another Dealer I will tell them about it. I'll try to record a new video, because the noise is louder when I accelerate it, maybe the vibration is causing this on something not secured properly.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey Daniel... easy on the language mate :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
Hey Daniel... easy on the language mate :rolleyes:

whoops :D

im just feeling with the guy hehe

anyway... i hope hyundai figues it out soon... :)

Offline lvarella

• 2nd Gear

• br Brazil
      Rio de Janeiro
As promised.

The quality is not so good, but you can hear the noise when I accelerate.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Doesn't sound right to me
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Very good Ivarella (clear enough to hear what you are talking about)  :eek: :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
how many kms is it until your next service,I'm thinking the oil isn't up to the job,as I've found that to be the case in my cars and the father in laws 2009 elantra [same engine as 2.0 petrol i30] and his car has only done 2,000 kms and it rattles also on cold start up.[30-45 seconds] the oil may be the culprit.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline lvarella

• 2nd Gear

• br Brazil
      Rio de Janeiro
I am not happy at all.   :mad:

My car has 3.500km and the noise appeared after the 1st service,  I intend to take the car to another dealer this week, because it will take a long time to next service that is 10.000km.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the three cars i mentioned in my post above started to rattle on cold start up also after the first service .  :mad:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline lvarella

• 2nd Gear

• br Brazil
      Rio de Janeiro
Another i30 after 1st service presented the noise.  :mad:

I took my car to another dealer yesterday, he just called me saying that he was able to hear the noise but they can't identify where is it, they will do a lot of tests in my car today and want me to go there in the morning to listening the noise. I don't wanna go there to listening the noise I want a solution.

Am I the mechanic or they?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Ivarella .. Must be very frustrating (I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry if they asked me to come and listen to the noise in that circumstance  :rolleyes:)

Pip
As has already been said here, oil would be a high suspect but it hasn't yet been identified. However, because it's obvious I guess the dealer has eliminated that as the cause.

Just the same, can you tell us what they used?

Offline PeeJay36

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I know its not the same engine, but I ( and other owners including my brother) have a tapping noise on my 1.4 its annoying and sometimes difficult (?) to repeat to dealers. The car sounds far too mechanical to me for a modern car, and is (IMHO) under powered. It spoils a fine car and has put me of replacing the car like for like.

Offline lvarella

• 2nd Gear

• br Brazil
      Rio de Janeiro
As has already been said here, oil would be a high suspect but it hasn't yet been identified. However, because it's obvious I guess the dealer has eliminated that as the cause.

Just the same, can you tell us what they used?

The motor oil they used is Pentosin. They say it's approved by Hyundai.

I didn't go to the dealer today, I refused to go there just to listen the noise. I didn't receive any news from them yet.

Pip
The motor oil they used is Pentosin. They say it's approved by Hyundai.

There is of course more than one Pentosin engine oil.  Even without knowing the exact oil used, I could only find marketing fluff along with car manufacturer's specifications met but no other actual specs. Quite a lot can be deduced from the manufacturers numbers associated with the oil but without knowing which oil nothing can be gleaned.

It would still be nice to know which oil was used, particularly if it proves to be the cause of the noise so others can avoid it for that particular engine type.

As far as I know Hyundai does not "approve" any particular oils but instead asks that they meet certain ACEA standards. Which ones, are documented in the handbook.

Even so, if an oil meets the required standard it is no guarantee that it is the equal of another that also meets that same standard. There is no doubt in my mind that some engines prefer one oil over another and will run quieter. Particularly WRT "sewing machine" ticking noises from the valve gear on start-up.

Offline lvarella

• 2nd Gear

• br Brazil
      Rio de Janeiro
The dealer called me this morning.

They are having a hard time to find out where is the noise, he told me they are suspecting it's coming from the ac or alternator bearing.

I'll not have my car this weekend, I miss him so much  :'(

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
If it was it would stop if they removed the aux belt.

Whilst the noise is probably different, it calls this thread to mind:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,4435.30.html

Offline lvarella

• 2nd Gear

• br Brazil
      Rio de Janeiro
If it was it would stop if they removed the aux belt.

Whilst the noise is probably different, it calls this thread to mind:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,4435.30.html

Omg, I felt it was me reporting the same problem.....I already told them about the alternator, I hope they took a serious look at it.

Offline lvarella

• 2nd Gear

• br Brazil
      Rio de Janeiro
Dealer called yesterday and they are still struggling to find out the problem.

He asked to me to call Hyundai Assistance and get a car, because they don't know when my car will be fixed.

I was surprised(good surprise) by Hyundai Assistance, it took 10 min and I received the notification that the car was booked for me and just needed to go there and get it.

I got a Fiat Idea, do you know this car?

I miss so much my i30.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Offline lvarella

• 2nd Gear

• br Brazil
      Rio de Janeiro
Got the car this morning, the manager said the problem was solved, I was happy. When i got there the car was waiting for me, but was not cold.

I went to my garage a few minutes ago and surprise, the noise is there, the same noise... I don't know what to do.

I am really disappointed, I think they don't know how to fix the car, I don't know if it is lack of training or what else could it be.

:'( :'( :'(

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Very sorry Ivarella... :'(

Without re-reading all your posts is there another dealer reasonably close?...

I suggest you contact Hyundai assistance again with an angry/ upset voice...

after all this business I'm sure you can manage that  :cool:

Offline lvarella

• 2nd Gear

• br Brazil
      Rio de Janeiro
The mechanic from Hyundai came here at my home today and could listen the noise perfectly, verified a lot of things.

Now we have the following situations:

- Tappets

or

- CVVT Valve

I scheduled to leave my car at the dealer next Tuesday. I hope this drama ends with a Happy End.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^ I hope so too Luiz. That car of yours is living at your dealers :eek:

Offline lvarella

• 2nd Gear

• br Brazil
      Rio de Janeiro
Just to update it.

My "precioussss"  is still on the Dealer, nothing has been fixed, Dealer wants to talk to Hyundai for some help on the issue.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

... Dealer wants to talk to Hyundai for some help on the issue.

That's actually quite a positive move. Twice my dealership(s) have "engaged Hyundai Technical" and twice they have delivered.

Fingers crossed mate :)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I know some other makes of cars can suffer from noisy tappets when the oil has been left to drain too long at service, and/or wrong viscocity being used, causing the lifters to get air to stick inside. I don't know much about this other than one of my colleagues had the problem on a ford some years ago. Maybe it's a possibility on an i30 too, I don't know.

Offline lvarella

• 2nd Gear

• br Brazil
      Rio de Janeiro
Manager called me.

They found out a problem with the "tablets" that are responsible for the Tappet regulation. They are ordering the "tablets" and I'll get my car tomorrow because they need to wait for the "tablets" to fix my car and he said that nothing will get worse if I use the car.

I really hope this will fix the problem.

Offline lvarella

• 2nd Gear

• br Brazil
      Rio de Janeiro
Just an update.

The car still have the problem, I am really pissed off with this situation. I am thinking about selling the car and never buy a car from Hyundai so soon.

I contacted Hyundai and gave them a last chance to fix my car or I'll publish in a newspaper what I am going through and sue them.

A lot of people here in Brazil are unhappy with Hyundai and selling their cars and publishing over the internet all the problems we are having here.

Hyundai needs to wake up, they are not responsible for ours cars here, it's another company and they are doing Hyundai gets a bad reputation over here.

We already are complaining about the high prices of services and pieces to the car, it's not helping Hyundai in Brazil

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal