i30 Owners Club

2010 i30 1.6 petrol issues

PsYcRoW · 19 · 7980

Offline PsYcRoW

• 2nd Gear
Hi All,

Greetings from a sunny South Africa.
I purchased a brand new i30 1.6 petrol (we only have two flavours here in SA, 1.6 and 2.0 petrol). Not cheap cars.

Anyway, really enjoying the car. Bought it in June last year and it has about +- 7500 km on the clock.

I am experiencing a few annoying issues and i was wondering if anyone else has experienced these issues and whether i should be concerned or not

1. Continuous rattle from the cubby-hole (glovebox) compartment when driving. Only solution i have found is to drive with the cubby (glovebox) open

2. Side mirrors auto-fold by pressing a button, sometimes the drivers side mirror does not fold when the button is pressed. Doesn't happen that often. I think it has happened 4 times so far. Only solution is to switch off the car completely, remove the key , re-insert the key and try again.

3. When using a USB memory stick to play mp3's, i have had an issue where mid song the audio system switches to the radio or CD. i.e it thinks the USB has been unplugged. I have tried various other brand/sizes of memory sticks. Only seems to happen on long drives. Only solution is again to switch off the car completely and try again.

4. Second gear feels notchy sometimes, i.e not always smooth when changing to second. Prior to the i30 I owned a 2009 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLE. I ended up swapping for an i30 as i panicked when the ix35 was released and the tucson was discontinued. I couldnt afford the ix35 and i thought my tucson would be worthless (this may have been shortsighted of me, as the tucson was a great car with no problems, just looked rather 'fugly'..lol). Anyway, my point being is my tucson also had a "notchy" second gear and when i read about the i30's newly redesigned gearbox for smoother driving , i immediately thought "woot!"

Other than that its a great car, wish we had the CRDi here as the 1.6 petrol is so under powered, a lot of changing to 4th on hilly roads and my average fuel consumption sits on 9.3 unlike the 6-7 its stated to get.

Looking forward to your feedback

Here is the link to the model i have, as i am sure each country varies to some degree

http://www.hyundai.co.za/Specifications.cfm?VehicleName=i30

its a monster link sorry...

Cheers!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Hello and welcome.

1. I think this is an issue with the hinge, there it a thread  in which a member suggest what needs doing to stop the glovebox noise, the thread is here

3. Sounds like the cable from the radio to the USB port is loose, get the dealer to check i.

4. On the 5 speed box the issue has been noted a number of times but often people who have this issue have said it gets better with time.

Offline PsYcRoW

• 2nd Gear
Hi,

Thanks for the welcoming and the reply.

I have checked the thread regarding the glove-box and the only solution i could see from my skim reading is using a foam strip, i will try that.

Regarding getting the dealer to check the USB cable. We both know what will happen, ill take the car , book it in and they will keep it for a day and during that time it will work 100% ;)

P.S. a few more quick thoughts/minor complaints.

1. Why the heck do the i30's in SA not have an armrest/cup-holders in the back of the car??
2. The radio system does not have RDS, i didn't think to check before buying the car, but that is pretty much standard on cars these days.
3. What is the blue ring in the front light compartment for? looks cool, but it doesn't illuminate or anything.

I am wondering if we get the rest of the worlds old models here in South Africa. i.e I purchased one of the first i30's in the country, as it only launched in the country mid last year. I assume its been out in other countries since 2008? I wonder if our 2010 models are actually a 2008 design..

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome PsYcRow.. Lorian beat me to the draw..

With regards to the gearchange if you get forceful with it you should start to notice an improvement by 10,000kms.

I can't recall a blue ring in our model (mind you i traded mine about 6 months ago)  :-[

Didn't have the electric folding mirrors either...

Your economy sounds a bit high?? (maybe that will improve also)

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
it says in the link at the top,cylinder block aluminium. i knew the head was aluminium,but i didn't know about the block.  :o and dazz, i30's have a blue ring inside the headlights.  :lol: :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

it says in the link at the top,cylinder block aluminium. i knew the head was aluminium,but i didn't know about the block.  :o and dazz, i30's have a blue ring inside the headlights.  :lol: :razz:

I know that.. the way the comment was worded I though our new member was talking about something inside the car.. :-[  I havent heard of headlights being called light compartments before  :confused:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

I know that.. the way the comment was worded I though our new member was talking about something inside the car.. :-[  I havent heard of headlights being called light compartments before  :confused:
I'm only guessing he meant the headlights.  :idea: :wink:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I reckon you are right.. I can be a bit vague sometimes.. :-[

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

.. the way the comment was worded I though our new member was talking about something inside the car.. :-[ 

Same here. I didn't say anything in case it made me look stoopid.

Oh, hang on...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

He surely does.

On the subject of Radio, they have RDS in most markets, is it a single-din or double-din radio?

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

.. the way the comment was worded I though our new member was talking about something inside the car.. :-[ 

Same here. I didn't say anything in case it made me look stoopid.

Oh, hang on...
  :lol:

Offline PsYcRoW

• 2nd Gear
LOL!!! sorry guys... I did mean headlights..  although what would a light compartment be on the inside of the car??  :rofl:

anyway.. yeah the headlights have a blue ring inside the housing, i believe it is around one of the actual light fittings?

trying to find image on google, looks like it may be easier to go take a photo of my cars headlight.

With regards to the radio, I believe it is a double din, definitely no RDS , sigh..

:)

Offline PsYcRoW

• 2nd Gear
What was your reason for trading?

Welcome PsYcRow.. Lorian beat me to the draw..

With regards to the gearchange if you get forceful with it you should start to notice an improvement by 10,000kms.

I can't recall a blue ring in our model (mind you i traded mine about 6 months ago)  :-[

Didn't have the electric folding mirrors either...

Your economy sounds a bit high?? (maybe that will improve also)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

What was your reason for trading?

We decided we wanted something bigger and quiter and more luxurious (as a main car) now we are getting older.

Had the CRDi for 28 month and did nearly 70,000 km .. many things about it we liked.. (brilliant car in so many ways)

Was all set to buy the new Sonata/i45 then they had a few ride and handling issues  (When first released in Australia) but the momentum to upgrade was still there and we defected to another brand  :-[

It's ok we all know what you mean about the lights now (no need for a photo) they are projector lights and the colour is just for effect I guess.. :goodjob:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I think the blue rings were supposed to remove some of the orange refraction cause by the lenses, but I still see some. They look nice anyway, but the don't light up.

For the radio, you could compare the firmware you have with others, the first thread here tells you how to see the version:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=2526.0

Offline blumf

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

• 2010 UK i30 Premium 1.6p man.
2. Side mirrors auto-fold by pressing a button, sometimes the drivers side mirror does not fold when the button is pressed. Doesn't happen that often. I think it has happened 4 times so far. Only solution is to switch off the car completely, remove the key , re-insert the key and try again.

Never had that happen, best take it to the dealer.

3. When using a USB memory stick to play mp3's, i have had an issue where mid song the audio system switches to the radio or CD. i.e it thinks the USB has been unplugged. I have tried various other brand/sizes of memory sticks. Only seems to happen on long drives. Only solution is again to switch off the car completely and try again.

Have had this happen, I read somewhere on here it might just be down to the brand of USB drive used. It looks to me like some error in reading the drive causes the radio to failsafe and kill USB support until the car is restarted. Maybe a future firmware update will fix it.

4. Second gear feels notchy sometimes, i.e not always smooth when changing to second.

Yep got that, and it's, slowly, getting better (I'm at 4000 miles now and don't notice it as much)

Offline PsYcRoW

• 2nd Gear
thanks for the reply blumf. When my car goes for its first service ill get them to check it out for me.. Chances are it will work fine whilst the car is there :)

Offline PsYcRoW

• 2nd Gear
on a side note... I must say, this forum is amazing... ;)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :thanks: :mrgreen: :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal