i30 Owners Club

I got rid of hankooks today!!!

Offline bfc_xxx

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
New tyres for me.

I got 21800kms on hankooks but because my car will celebrate it's fifth birthday soon I decided to change the tyres.

They are absolutely fabulous. Less noise in the inside when I drive, I feel the suspensions more soft now, and I feel the car that do not want to go outside on fast corners.

Here are some pics:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Very good :goodjob2: now you just have to wash the wheels to make them look as nice as the tyres :winker:

Offline bfc_xxx

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
Very good :goodjob2: now you just have to wash the wheels to make them look as nice as the tyres :winker:

haha I was waiting for that comment, but it is raining these days and I am waiting for the sun.  :whistler:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I have the Conti Premiums fitted and they are truly amazing. I was a Kumho stalwart until I rode with these boots :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Congrats on the new tyres, Conti's are great, but what happened for the guy that balanced your wheels...?

It's many years ago they started using the glue-on type balance weights for alloys to be mounted where they're not that visible and certainly won't ruin the surface treatment  :disapp:   :disapp:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Congrats on the new tyres, Conti's are great, but what happened for the guy that balanced your wheels...?

It's many years ago they started using the glue-on type balance weights for alloys to be mounted where they're not that visible and certainly won't ruin the surface treatment  :disapp:   :disapp:
Clip ons are fine if the rim caters for them. The positioning is much more accurate than stick ons which often have to be slightly out of line to accomodate some rim styles.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Clip ons are fine if the rim caters for them. The positioning is much more accurate than stick ons which often have to be slightly out of line to accomodate some rim styles.

I've never had problems balancing a wheel with the stick ons, but yes, the clip ons are easier to do, but I would get very upset if I got my wheels balanced with those clip ons, it certainly doesn't look very good and IMO is a poor solution.  :disapp:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Clip ons are fine if the rim caters for them. The positioning is much more accurate than stick-ons which often have to be slightly out of line to accommodate some rim styles.

I've never had problems balancing a wheel with the stick-ons, but yes, the clip-ons are easier to do, but I would get very upset if I got my wheels balanced with those clip-ons, it certainly doesn't look very good and IMO is a poor solution.  :disapp:
Because of the tapered outer shape of that wheel, it's almost impossible to position stick-ons out at the extremity of the wheel where a balancing machine would suggest putting them. As you move inward away from the rim (where the clip ons are), you need to add more weight to get the result. Some machines have an option to "optimise" the placement of the weights - essentially on the centre line as an "average" of the inside and outside rim imbalance but this is a compromise at best. It's more of an issue with wide, low profile tyres admittedly, but the comeback rate for either option is higher than if clip-ons were used.
I understand what you're saying though. I've always advised my people to give the customer the choice. Most choose the clip-ons but then, most also have scuff marks from curb damage etc.  :'(
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline bfc_xxx

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
I see!!! Those clip ons doesn't bother me at all. Anyway the guy that balanced my wheels used a pc which indicated him where to put those exactly.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal