i30 Owners Club

Need Help: Starting Issues with Hyundai i30 2010 1.4L Petrol Model

Offline Trucker89

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Yorkshire
Hello everyone, I need some assistance with an issue I'm having with my Hyundai i30. It's a 2010 model with a 1.4-liter petrol engine and has clocked 60,000 kilometers. Recently, it's been experiencing starting problems. I replaced the battery with a new one 2 years and 5 months ago, and everything seemed fine until today. Yesterday, the car started without any issues, but this morning, after moving it from the driveway to do some gardening, it refused to start. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  • Hyundai i30 1.4 Petrol hatchback 2010 Blue Classic

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
By "refuse to start" does it turn over, click or do anything?

Even though the battery is quite new, I would test that first using a multimeter.
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline Trucker89

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Yorkshire
Hello Greyhound! Thank you for reaching out. The battery health status shows over 60%, suggesting it's in relatively good condition. However, despite this, the car is still experiencing starting issues. While it's possible it could be fuel pump-related, I'm exploring other troubleshooting methods before reaching that conclusion. Appreciate your assistance!

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi, If I am reading your posts correctly, the car was fine until after you started the car, moved it a small distance, then shut it off? If the car hasn't started well after this time it could be suffering from slightly restricted fuel injectors. I have had a couple of instances on different cars where a short trip ( without getting to temp) i.e moving to wash on the lawn, then  putting the car away to sit for a while,  has caused a long crank when returning to the car. I'm guessing in my case the quality of fuel could have been gumming up the injectors, as the cold injectors have fuel that doesn't evaporate off as fast. Just a theory.  And it usually clears up after a decent drive. A decent OBD2 scanner should be able to look for a crank/ cam sensor fault which is a know issue which causes long crank issues. Good luck,  and let us all know your outcomes.

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
By "refuse to start" does it turn over, click or do anything?
Can you answer that question please.
"refuse to start", can mean many things, either electrical or fuel related, depending on the symptoms.

Can you better explain your starting issues e.g. :
Does it crank over at all?
Does it crank but not start at all?
Does it crank for long time then eventually start?
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline Trucker89

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Yorkshire
Hi there Greyhound, cranking, no start assumed it was the fuel pump because i could not hear the fuel pump priming checked fuses and relay all good. Used some easy start spray no joy, I've managed to start the car up by unlocking and locking the door , it's immobiliser related because I don't have the fob anymore, on  the dash the immobilizer icon was solid amber and not flashing the car starting on first key turn over, is this temporary fix or do I get replacement fob from dealership what option do I have?

Offline Greyhound

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I don't have the fob anymore,
I don't understand this "don't have a key fob". So do you only have a manual (dumb) key that does not register with the immobiliser, or is the key battery low/failed?
  • i30 PD 2020 1.0 T-GDi

Offline Trucker89

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Yorkshire
The original key fob, key part snapped and I had to get a new key made. I no longer have the original fob. I only have a spare key with no fob. It's been around 7 months no issues until couple of days ago.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal