Hybrid Refused To Start

AlanHo · 4 · 7451

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My KIA Niro hybrid was grumpy and refused to start this morning - it just showed an instrument panel warning saying "Check Your Brakes"

After looking at all the obvious things I decided to jump start it with my portable power bank - which is kept in the boot.  This was to be its maiden usage.

I then noticed that the boot hatch was slightly ajar and had not been closed properly. It must have been left unlocked since I last used the car yesterday morning. The boot interior light wasn't on - suggesting that the 12v battery was flat.

That is how I discovered that you can think you have locked the car with the boot ajar or open when the mirrors fold if you fail to notice that the the lights have not flashed. I must change my habits - I tend to assume all is well when the mirrors fold.

As an aside, I found that my power bank had only 16% capacity available - but it was just enough to jump start the car and enable me to recharge the flat 12v battery.  Must make a note to trickle charge the power bank every 3 or 4 months to keep it charged.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 09:48:12 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hmm must check my car to see if the mirrors fold when the boot is ajar...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
EEee by gum, that takes me right back to my 59 plate i30 which had the same problem.  I looked everywhere just like you.  Being a brand new car I phoned the dealership who are not very far from me and they came round.  By which time I had found the problem, but the battery was as flat as a pancake.  I kept my, usually big, gob shut and let them take it away to mend it. They brought it back the next day stating that they had put a NEW battery in.  I located a small chip, by small I mean minute, which I had caused.  This indicated to me that they'd give the battery a rub down with damp clothe and charged it up.  Seems to be we were both conning each other then  :crazy1:

Offline Jenson

• 1st Gear
EEee by gum, that takes me right back to my 59 plate i30 which had the same problem.  I looked everywhere just like you.  Being a brand new car I phoned the dealership who are not very far from me and they came round.  By which time I had found the problem, but the battery was as flat as a pancake.  I kept my, usually big, gob shut and let them take it away to mend it. They brought it back the next day stating that they had put a NEW battery in.  I located a small chip, by small I mean minute, which I had caused.  This indicated to me that they'd give the battery a rub down with damp clothe and charged it up.  Seems to be we were both conning each other then  :crazy1:

They are absolute scum. I can't believe they think lying like this is acceptable.
  • i40

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal