i30 Owners Club

Recall

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I think that stinks personally and definitely black marks Hyundai for me.

In Europe the law stops car manufacturers holding customers to ransom like that, as long as parts fitted are equal to, or of superior quality.

I completely get the bit about "getting into a bunfight" ... but it does look like a get out of Warranty clause and anyone can see that...

I dont like that at all from Hyundai, in fact I'm really pissed off about it!

:argh:

Foxy, it's not just Hyundai, it's everyone, as it's well known you can rip Aussies off, they mark up the prices on everything out here compared to other country's.
I don't think it's Hyundai that told Phil he had to use genuine Hy filters, i think it's the dealer they just try to scare you. but in the end they only warrant parts that fail not parts that wear out. if your tyre's wear out you pay, but if the cases fail they cover that & so on. just lucky they covered this as a very expencive part.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi Phil.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

It's all rather complicated actually, the fiesta's a manual so I have to drive it  :whistler: Daughter is only auto licensed

Does that mean you can get a drivers license for auto cars only... :question:

...and then upgrade to manual ... :question:

Hi just saw this post, in my state NSW you have to drive a manual tans car to get a manual licence,if you just pass in an auto your licence has auto trans only on it.

Sorry to read about your troubles Phil . Did you ever use diesel fuel additives? & what brand of diesel did you mostly use? Also lastly did you change your fuel filter? & at how many k? If I remember I can remember you thinking about fitting a second fuel filter did you ever do that? Just hope this is fully covered by warranty as injectors are very expensive like $1,000 each or close to that.

Sorry Phil, I should have read the whole post, before posting. But still would be interesting to know if you ever used diesel additive & if so what? Also what brand fuel? & how many k on the car now?
You should buy a lottery ticket!
I don't think we should judge Hyundai on this issue as it's more the servicing dealer that wanted to check what filter not hy but that's normal for dealers as they make a few $ out of inflated service part $ .
Hey John, has it changed in NSW re the manual/auto licence?
Our #2 son got his licence in 1996 in Sydney and our daughter a year later, also in Sydney. At that time if you went for the test in an auto, you were restricted to an auto - only for the first 12 months, then your licence became "open" with no restriction and you could drive a manual without any further test. It was the same for both of them and renewals showed no restriction. When each of them transferred back to Qld years later. both licences are unrestricted.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
What additive are you using, I have a product, but have not purchased any because when discussed here, most people have never had a problem, so I thought I was over reacting.

Here is a link to a powerpoint presentation for your info. Other diesel owners can make their own choice too.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=1153BD2D1DD28BCA!234&authkey=!AD0pOyNz9-0W41g

I have made this statement before and I still believe that through normal usage, tanks will inevitably gain some water as a result of condensation overnight from moisture in the air as the tank empties, so this stuff should be essential.

@rick,

As a truck driver, how do you cope with moisture condensating in truck tanks, or is it always too hot where you are.  :exclaim:

Phil, i used i think it was called? made by Chem Tech an Australian company, was mostly to stop Algea i've seen that & problems it can cause & this is cheap insurance think it could also lubricate fuel pump & injectors i used that in my first i30 CRDi i got a large bottle lasted for ages, it had a bottle with chambers, you squeeze it and some goes into a measuring chamber, then you just put the measurement recomended for the full tank, you put it in when your filling up, put the amount recomended then full up tank. there is no magic, no economy increase, no power increase, but no decrease, its more like long term insurance. but i doubt if i realy needed to use it as bought the car  anound June 2008 with build date early may, sold it late 2011, 97,000 trouble free.
i was trying to find that product but the auto parts was out of it so got small bottle of nulon diesel additive as it states it stops Algea, only reason i'm useing it is i don't drive car as much & thats when you could need it as diesel stays in tank longer. also possible to pick it up from storage tanks from a very low turn over outlet.i try ti use same diesel from same outlet & keep recepts for a record. then if there was a problem i just produce the fuel dockes let Hy sort it out. as i would think as an owner i've done all i can, if it fails its not my falt.

Hey Trev sorry thought it was Phil posting, looked like that , when i looked down to read post after being warned new post.
Hi Phil just saw your post as i was about to post, just what i was told about licence,
years ago when i did mine i was taught on Manual then on an Auto then a year latter on a tuck ( long time back ) then a Motorcycle. got all my licences first go for each one. truck was hardest as was one of the old Trucks lot harder to drive than the new one's they have today. now i'm Retired  :D Yipee
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 20:48:04 by Lakes »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Our #2 son got his licence in 1996 in Sydney and our daughter a year later, also in Sydney. At that time if you went for the test in an auto, you were restricted to an auto - only for the first 12 months, then your licence became "open" with no restriction and you could drive a manual without any further test. It was the same for both of them and renewals showed no restriction. When each of them transferred back to Qld years later. both licences are unrestricted.

Did some digging and it seems your auto licence is "updated" enabling you to drive a manual once you move on to your P2 licence (green P's).  :undecided:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Did some digging and it seems your auto licence is "updated" enabling you to drive a manual once you move on to your P2 licence (green P's).  :undecided:

That would be right. The period I'm talking about was before they went to the two stage (3 year???) "P" system in NSW.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Started Lila today, cool weather, NBG, back to the dealer   :blubber:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Buggar, bitch, bum.... :confused:

and others.  :fum:

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Active Illawarra Region
Aww crud, that sucks  :blubber:
  • 2012 Hyundai i30 Active

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Started Lila today, cool weather, NBG, back to the dealer   :blubber:
Sorry Phil, hope they fix it.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Lila was looked at today and thankfully, they found a leaking return line and 1 loose glow plug. Fixed easily and after cooling it down for 4 hours, it started fine, so I brought her home. Daughter is smiling again.  :happydance: :Drive:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Thanks, fellas  :goodjob2:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Good Stuff Phil, it's no fun having a sick car!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wts: :cool!:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Latest report was that it started fine this morning. :happydance:

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Active Illawarra Region
WOO! Glad all is finally well  :mrgreen:
  • 2012 Hyundai i30 Active

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, started it myself yesterday and all ok.  :happydance:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Lila was looked at today and thankfully, they found a leaking return line and 1 loose glow plug. Fixed easily and after cooling it down for 4 hours, it started fine, so I brought her home. Daughter is smiling again.  :happydance: :Drive:
Phil that's great new's about the outcome but the age old adage. Do it ONCE do it RIGHT. Just show's how dealer's wrench's rush thing's & don't take as much care as they should. Those two problem's would not get past if they had a top team. As they would double check each job as it's done an check the glow plug's after they had fitted, then test drive come back double check  then after car standing to cool do a final check. But if it's a rush job do it quick, drive it to test if it don't stop give it to customer. Sad but true.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

That is a coincidence as the biggest and most successful Hyundai Dealer in Australia (Based in Perth) is John Hughes .. :eek:

Only reason for that Dazz he is the super sleez of car salesmen,the bloke does not have an honest bone in his body,I still remember the dealings we used to have with him years ago when we had our bunky yard.

To this day he still misrepresents himself and blatantly falsly advertises
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Phil that's great new's about the outcome but the age old adage. Do it ONCE do it RIGHT. Just show's how dealer's wrench's rush thing's & don't take as much care as they should.

Lakes couldn't agree more,just got to look at Cyril and his wiring looms debarkle, these PPL are supposed to be trained proffessionals,they should not need to have someone looking over their shoulder all the time,I put it down to the lack of a good work ethic and pride in their own work.

I could go off on a tangent rant here,But I won't  :whistler:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

That is a coincidence as the biggest and most successful Hyundai Dealer in Australia (Based in Perth) is John Hughes .. :eek:

Only reason for that Dazz he is the super sleez of car salesmen,the bloke does not have an honest bone in his body,I still remember the dealings we used to have with him years ago when we had our bunky yard.

To this day he still misrepresents himself and blatantly falsly advertises

:Shocked:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Yes, started it myself yesterday and all ok.  :happydance:

Hi Phil,
Glad that your problem had a solution.  :goodjob2:  I have read the whole thread but must have missed the actual culprit/s. Was it the filter, injectors, glowplugs or loose fuel line?

Cheers,
Paolo

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Hard to tell, because you have to sort through the excuses, however, the injectors were definitely faulty. All were replaced, next morning at home, no improvement, so returned that day and in about 3 hours all fixed, so I suspect something wasn't replaced correctly, some sort of return fuel line wasn't allowing the correct pressure to be achieved. That's what I was told.  :Dunno:

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Being such an expensive item (you said $1000 each), you would have to wonder what the owner of an i30 diesel (me included) can do to ensure that they don't wear prematurely, given appropriate changing of the fuel filter.

Does anyone have any clues on this one?

Wondering if anyone has successfully fitted a water separator/filter to their i30 diesel?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 22:48:52 by Paolo5 »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well, we didn't buy the car from new, so all of the driving prior to our ownership is unknown. The car had been properly serviced at Hy though. As well, this fault is bay no means common, I don't think you'll find another post here about having all the injectors changed, so I'd say your pretty safe.

With regard to water separation, one of the first thing I sought on ebay was one of these devices. However, I didn't  pursue the matter, because,

- It would invalidate the warranty.
- It would require new piping, connections and a suitable mount to be fitted.
- They still need periodic replacement of an internal filter.
- I was nervous about a glass product against the firewall in the event of collision.

So, I have just recently purchased an additive which eliminates water and the associated black bug that can develop in Diesel fuel. For a minimal cost I expect to gain protection without the necessary hardware changes.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal