i30 Owners Club

Brake Lights Not Working - Fixed

Offline OpheliaKnobbs

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Just a quick post re; brake lights not working I30 wagon. Both brake lights were not working. The bulbs were tested & found to be ok. The fuses & brake light switch were tested & found to be ok. Tracing the fault to a possible open circuit back to the brake lights. The workshop service manual identified a relay in circuit designed to provide a signal to a dash light when the brake lights failed, not sure why this was needed? Anyway the manual identified the relay location as being within the right (o/s) rear drivers C pillar. With the trim removed, guess what...it wasn’t there. However on further inspection it is on the other side of the vehicle (n/s), but hidden down well down towards the wheel arch; see photos. Found the relay was working, but power in, no power out. Removed & dismantled the relay & found debris between the contactor solenoid coil. Cleaned with wet & dry paper and now worked. I was half tempted dispatch the relay & jump the wires permanently, but didn’t. Tested; stop lights now working. Also found found, strangely the bank of 3 tail light bulbs each side were the normal off-set 6/21 watt stop & tail (with the said bulbs in the bayonet), but the the positive stop side is (for some unknown reason) not connected (wires cut & taped up), I.e the stop light circuit of the 6/21w is not used? So I added a wire length (with diode) in series off the existing stop lights to both sides, and now have a fairly luminous stop light cluster with the existing lower level stop lights & the centre high mounted tail gate LED. 😉 :happydance:

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 06:08:06 by OpheliaKnobbs »
  • 130 Hatch (2008) + 130 CW (2012)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
 :goodjob2: :victory:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Cool bananas.  :victory:
I wonder whether you're seeing the evidence of some hasty fix-up after removal of a towbar socket. :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Great first post.
Must be the longest period between joining the forum and a first post. 😀
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Amd stay away from my knob......  :rofl:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Amd stay away from my knob......  :rofl:

A belated welcome and thanks for that.. interesting username. No wonder you eased into making your 1st post.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal