i30 Owners Club

Engine cuts out when logging OBD2 data I30 CRDI

Offline charlescrown

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Padstow, NSW
The problem is when trying to log data from the I30 CRDI via the OBD2 port the engine cuts out momentarily. It happens quiet frequently and is hard not just a little miss. I have used a variety of software and interfaces the latest being Torque with a bluetooth unit. Has anybody come across this problem before? It works fine with other cars (petrol)  just in case you ask only this particular car.
  • I30 CRDI Auto

Offline liability

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
I have used a cheap bluetooth OBD2 dongle and the progrom Torque without any problems in my 2015 GD3 CRDi. Even left the OBD2 plugged in for a couple of days with Torque running on a tablet mounted in the car with no dramas.
  • Active X CRDi DCT

Offline charlescrown

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Padstow, NSW
I am quiet puzzled why it does it but it sure does. Very harsh engine cutout. It's gotta be something with the data streaming but I am at a loss what to do.
  • I30 CRDI Auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I believe there are 2 plug in interfaces, 1 in engine bay and 1 under the dash. Which one are you using and have you tried using the other one. Your connection or plug may be faulty. I also have logged data using a cheap obd device with no data problems.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I have a similar problem. When I connect a cheap bluetooth OBD2 data logger, the engine idle becomes very rough.

However, I have also connected a ScanGauge, and that does not cause any problems.

Is there a setting on your OBD dongle that will reduce the update rate?  I have heard that a too fast update frequency can cause problems.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If your question was directed to me, then I use bluetooth to connect the device to the computer.

Offline mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Yes i have had the same problem.

In 2 weeks of running it , it has happened 3 times , it's almost like it puts into limp mode.

I can make it do it by upsetting the Bluetooth connection sequence eg:

i have only used torque pro and if i start torque pro and it's looking for the Bluetooth link before i have turned on the car (which powers the Bluetooth dongle plugged into the OBD2 port ),

then most of the time it makes the car cut out   , if the car is started first then torque pro it works ok , but i have had it cut out on the freeway even after successful Bluetooth pairing.

I have not used it since because when it cut out on the freeway it could have caused an accident.

Cheers

• 2010 FD WAGON ,DIESEL 1.6, AUTO, SKY BLUE

Offline charlescrown

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Padstow, NSW
I will try starting the car first and post back the outcome. Ever since the car was new I have never been able to drive and log without this problem occurring with a multitude of interfaces and various software. It starts and idles revs up perfectly displaying all the data but when you drive it then it starts with the bucking, kicking and cutting out. It never stops running just momentary cut out.
  • I30 CRDI Auto

Offline charlescrown

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Padstow, NSW
Just an update. Still no success. I am starting to think that the car has an issue with the data streaming demand being too high for the ECU to operate the engine etc as well as data stream at the same time and simply falls over momentarily. I did slow down the data transfer rate which improved it but didn't fix it. Not giving up yet.
  • I30 CRDI Auto

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Interesting - what is happening.

Apparently certain functions of the ECU are protected by encryption... i.e. you have to have the right equipment to make changes (like tuning)... I doubt that is involved here (as you seem to trying to get data out - rather than put it in).   But something to consider.

Could be bad design and/or assembly of the ODBII reader - can't remember if you said you tried it on other vehicles?

Another thing I recall is any number of the ODBII readers (esp. the cheap ones) are using a rather old, pirated, copy of firmware taken from the chip they are usually still named after.   There have been updates - improving functionality but the IP owner (rightly so) took appropriate measures (enabled settings) to prevent further piracy.   So the newer versions aren't pirated - but quite often the people making them just update the version number in the pirated firmware to make it look new (even though nothing has changed).   So who knows.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 07:10:30 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline charlescrown

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Padstow, NSW
Well I have tried a genuine Launch CRecorder, a genuine Elmscan, a Autel MD802 scantool, aftermarket Elmscan interfaces, Viecar bluetooth adapter and all of them have the same outcome. The problem is the same no matter which device I use so at this stage I am at a loss. To answer the question have I used these devices on other cars YES and they all work perfectly it's only this particular car that has the problem and it would be my own car. I am venturing into the ECU program but would like to be able to record data before and after I make changes.
  • I30 CRDI Auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I don't mean to offend, but how can you be confident to ferret around the ECU program, but have difficulty with a comms problem. If all those devices fail, surely it's a job for the dealer to sort out.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
...  If all those devices fail, surely it's a job for the dealer to sort out.

:iws:

Okay if all those devices fail in the same way on your vehicle - then that is really suspect.  One or two cheap OBDII readers - okay (for reasons I have states)... but a whole lot inc. genuine and non-low end tools...

From what I know, and maybe from the responses, other people don't seem to be having the issue (or not many) when doing the same thing.

So like the number 1 Phil - I would be calling that the dealer/warranty should be handling this (assuming warranty coverage). Even if no warranty is left it sounds like you should have it looked at... if you are going to be ECU programming... esp. as it might be a symptom of bad connections/termination at ECU; or it could just be a wiring issue effecting the OBDII plug... but one that causes the ECU issues when a scan tool is connected.

I am wondering if maybe something isn't grounded and/or there is an impedance mis-match... resulting in extra noise/reflections of serial data which the ECU is then going 'nutzoid' trying to decode and make sense of (before simply discarding it).

Offline charlescrown

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Padstow, NSW
Ok Ibrokeit. I have found from the data logging the EGR command has a big negative spike followed by a drop in fuel rail pressure at the time the cutout/miss occurs.  This I need to look at a bit more closely. I can eliminate the power/earth problems because the data logging still occurs. Form what I have determined  the buffer size in the ECU is insufficient but probably  works well with the genuine equipment but unfortunately I don't have access to it  at present.  Long story but will  follow up in the near future. The car is well out of warranty but what would they say if I brought this to their attention? Nothing but go away.
Phil you will never offend me. I have been involved with ECU programming for the last 12 years with Holden Delco systems and have ventured outside the square with the Bosch EDC16 so occasionally one needs to seek the input and opinions  from other learned people like yourself.
I have downloaded the program and can easily identify and modify boost and fuel maps and correct the checksum. The security is located in another flash chip and I am waiting on an adapter for my equipment to read this data before  I but a second hand ECU and begin playing. It's my wife's car and I don't want any hassles  if things don't work out.
Probably should leave it as it was designed but hey I love to play even if I end up in the shit I had fun.
  • I30 CRDI Auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Probably would have been nice to mention your past experience.  :-[ :D

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Okay on what you have determined, might be it - a good number of people wanting to tune an i30 don't have the foggiest idea about what actually gets done 'under the hood' and even less understand at a protocol and/or firmware+hardware level.  I will point out I am no expert regarding OBDII, etc., etc. protocols (but have experience with embedded systems, etc.).   Quite often people asking for help here haven't covered what others of us consider 'basic' fault-finding/checks - that is okay as we don't expect a base level of knowledge, but it does mean we usually start at the basics and assume no analysis (other than try this or do that - what happens?) has/will be done.

The car is well out of warranty but what would they say if I brought this to their attention? Nothing but go away.

Sorry, I think I must have missed the post where you listed the year - and it isn't in your car profile (so I couldn't reference that either).   I went with it being a newer i30 being often people who think they might tune have a new, or a couple of years old second hand, vehicle.

I am pretty sure you would be correct on that esp. if out of warranty.   If it was within and they said go away (assuming they didn't even check it) - you could probably threaten going to the appropriate commerce authority to complain... not allowing you access to dynamic information coming your own property, etc.

I have downloaded the program and can easily identify and modify boost and fuel maps and correct the checksum. The security is located in another flash chip and I am waiting on an adapter for my equipment to read this data before  I but a second hand ECU and begin playing. It's my wife's car and I don't want any hassles  if things don't work out.

Nice - you and @CraigB maybe should compare notes.   However he has a GD, yours must be an FD - and IIRC the early FD ECUs didn't have the lock-downs later ones have.

Probably should leave it as it was designed but hey I love to play even if I end up in the shit I had fun.

Spoken like a true hacker (traditional sense) - and have a spare ECU anyway...

Offline charlescrown

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Padstow, NSW
Well I don't want to cause confusion. Yes it is FD. The story is I worked for TAFE NSW for 30 years and in 2007 our institute bought four new I30 CRDI's for the new technology. That's when I got interested and after some pondering bought one.  Having played with the Delco, Mitsubishi and several aftermarket systems I decided the venture into the Hyundai just to have a look. I used Galileo to download the program and WINols to start looking. I was amazed it claimed to find over 300 maps (from memory some time ago). Looking at the size of the maps I determined what ones might just be helpful. Viewing a lot of utube clips certainly helped. I found that via the OBD2 port gave you the full bin file but not the security or vin number. I later found that info is in another flash chip so just swapping the ECU from another the car won't work. I now have a BDM100 and ECMtitanium to make sense of the bin file. The BDM100 can also read the additional flash chip with another adapter that's on it's way I should be able to flash my entire program into the spare ECU and use that to play around with. This still doesn't change the data streaming problem. I will give one of my old colleagues a call and arrange to do the testing on one of TAFE's cars to see if its consistent or just my car. They also have the genuine Hyundai diagnostic equipment. Will update the post when I have some new info.
  • I30 CRDI Auto

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Nice!

:D Why am I not surprised about the separate flash IC - HP (and a few others) do the same thing with some of their PCs (primarily business/enterprise laptops/servers, etc. - sure change the BIOS or reflash it... still won't clear the passwords and/or encryption/TPM - if it was enabled).

There are ways around it for HP but any TPM reliant stuff is reset (i.e. data encrypted by TPM is lost) - some are hardware (replace chip, ICP, etc.); other software - inc. a tool made by someone (who seemingly released it for no cost, then later has charged for newer version - while being militant in getting the old version removed from websites), the tool is seemingly based on the process to make custom binaries which HP will send people (once they prove ownership, etc. and give certain info) to do the same thing - trouble is first level HP support isn't aware of it and say the motherboard needs replacing  :rolleyes:

You having a clone of your ECU so you can easily play with one or the other will be a pretty awesome setup to have!

Yup - the data streaming issue.  Capital idea on the testing - will be interesting to know.  No reports of what you are seeing are jumping to mind - of course only a very small portion of any population of owners of a specific make and model actually ever do stuff with the ECU and/or even know what OBD ports are, etc..

Offline charlescrown

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Padstow, NSW
Well it looks like I have solved the data logging problem. I went back to using OBDwiz and slowed down the data rate to the slowest speed and it worked perfect. It logged and the car drove without any problem so now I need to look at Torque and see if I can change settings in that program. Very happy.
  • I30 CRDI Auto

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Just read the whole thread for the first time. Yes, makes sense that the slower data rate eliminated the symptom, given one of your earlier observations. You could leave it at that if your capture is still high enough fidelity. I wouldn't resist playing in your shoes either. :victory: :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Cool on finding a solution.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal