i30 Owners Club

VW Jetta TDI sets a new Guinness world record in fuel consum

Hemmi · 17 · 4363

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
The VW Jetta TDI sets a new Guinness world record in fuel consumption!

A well known couple in the world of energy efficiency, Australians John and Helen Taylor have set yet another world record, this time in fuel consumption, behind the wheel of a Volkswagen Jetta TDI powered by Shell low sulphur diesel. They crossed 48 American states in a 20-day trek that ended in West Virginia on September 25.

The Taylors averaged 4 litres per 100 kilometres, a 14% increase over the previous record of 4.56 litres per 100 kilometres. They travelled over 15,000 km, sometimes exceeding 100 km/h, and spent slightly more than 4.3 cents per kilometre, for a grand total of $653.

Interestingly, this performance was achieved in normal driving conditions behind the wheel of a production vehicle that ordinary people can buy in any Volkswagen dealership. What's more, Mother Nature wasn't at her most benevolent during this adventure.

http://www.auto123.com/en/news/car-news ... tid=101736

So who's our candidate to do the same on i30 CRDi ? can we beat that ?

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Well, I have driven from Yass, to Canberra, then down to Cooma, then down the Brown Mountain to Candelo, over to Bega, up to Tilba Tilba, down to Tathra, through to Bega.

425km thus far, most driving was on or above 100km/h. Many hills and overtaking trucks.

Temp ranged from 2 degrees C, up to 30 degrees C. (Aircon on, rain for the first half, headwind too)

3 up, with luggage.

Currently sitting on 4.2lt/100km

I'll be doing Syndey to Perth, and back again early next year, driving the i30.

Will see what I can do for that trip....

Just added the figures:

15000 km for $653 @ 4lt/100km

653/15000=0.0435x100=$4.35/100km

$4.35/4lt=$1.08

Would be nice to pay only $1.08/lt of diesel!

EDIT: If Hyundai Australia wanted to sponser me, I would gladly take the challange and smash that record for the Sydney to Perth and back again, trip.  8-)

Offline kinesiologykid

• 3rd Gear
The i30 in the Darwin to Adelaide did about 3.5 L/100km from memory.
The only way to do it is to have two cars do the same trip, with the same weight, taking turns leading.

They are both very economical cars.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
why did they go to USA to do this? i'll tell you why as you can drive on the interstes and not get one set of traffic lights, also a lot of USA specialy in mid west its very flat. but they don't measure distance in k's they use Miles also don't use Lt's they use US Gallions. just wondering if they had someone measuring the fuel accurately and the distance? my friend in USA has a VW Jetta they come with the 1.9 TDI over there just wonder why did not use a Golf?

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Maybe the did the fuel run in the U.S to give deisel some good press overthere to try and convince the yanks that you dont need to drive a big thumpin V8 :lol:

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Yeah VW/Audi etc are trying to lift the profile of diesel in the USA, so makes sense that they'd do this in the USA.

Thats also why Audi put a diesel race car in the USA Le Mans series. (hehe can tell I just read Topgear mag :) )

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I think about 2 years back my friend in TN ( tennessee ) got his VW TDI Jetta and at that time they were selling well.
when i was in Texas my friends wife drove a Hyundai Exell. they just drive anything, same as here. just not much public transport and they travel long distance's just runing around.
i think i drove through about 6 states over there one day with out trying. but texas is bigger it's about the size of NSW & three times the size of England :lol:
Cheers

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Also one reason why euro diesel's just starting to sell in USA is that they are only just starting to use the euro spec diesel fuel. b4 they used the old hi sulphir diesel. see in that write up they mention Shell low sulphir diesel

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "Lakes"
..but texas is bigger it's about the size of NSW & three times the size of England :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I think this state i live in, New South wales on the coast from Victoria to Queensland would be something like 800 to 900 mile in length, but the length of the western end of the state, is tappered off at the victorian end. and this state is about 700 mile in width. i think it is rougly the same size of Texas but we don't have a panhandle, just a rabbit proof fence :lol:
Cheers

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Latest fill (After traveling down the coast, driving down then up the Brown Mountain. Driving at the posted speed limit 100km/h AND overtaking trucks, plus being stuck in a snow storm with -1 degree temps)

1,100km travelled.
46.48lt put in, to the neck.
4.22lt/100km actual economy.
4.4lt/100km indicated on trip computer.

Cost of fuel $77.58
Cost per 100km $7.05

This is real world conditions, driving at proper highway speeds, driving up and down hills, with three people and luggage.

4lt/100km is world record material?  :lol:  8-)

Picture from the phone of me stuck in snow (The road had black ice on it, had to drive on the snow on the side of the road to get traction up the slight hill)

This was using a full tank of Caltex Premium Diesel.

EDIT: Just did some quick tech specs between the i30 diesel and USA spec Jetta diesel.

i30 Diesel
1.6lt Displacement
85kw Power
255nm Torque
17.3:1 Compression
4.7lt/100km (Average)
5 speed manual

Jetta Diesel
2.0lt Displacement
104kw Power
319nm Torque
16.5:1 Compression
6.6lt/100km (Average)
6 speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice posting Thumper (thanks)

Great Picture too  :cry:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey Thumper, good results, how do you like the Caltex Vortex? i like it myself just the servo's i need to go to are sometimes inconvinent.
oh thought i would tell you the US spec Jetta does not have same motor as the Aus spec Jetta it cause they are still slow to move to the same diesel as we have but they will be useing it soon i think, my fiend told me as he saw we get the more powerfull 2.0, they have the 1.9 like the Golf and the polo diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry John,

Think Thumper is right on this occasion ...

http://www.vw.com/jetta/completespecs/en/us/#/show_all
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Caltex Vortex Diesel I have found to offer a quieter smoother idle, better response in colder conditions, less fumes when idling, better to fill the tank with (Still foams, but alot less than normal diesel. Can fill the tank right to the neck in 1/5th the time it normally takes)

The back of the vehicle is cleaner (Normally soots up a little after driving through rain on the back bumper)

I have noticed at least 50km-75km more per tank.

Hope Caltex bring this diesel to all service stations in Australia!  8-)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
well VW must have updated now they have updated there diesel, but in 2006 they still could only get the 1.9TDI in the Jetta we had the more powerfull 2.0 here. but he is extreamly happy with his has had it up to 137mph as i have posted. he likes that DSG 6 speed interesting gear box two clutchs not a torque converter like normal auto's two main sharfts, very quick shifting.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
also i think you should add weight of the cars and rev there TQ comes in, with the lower comp ratio it would allow them to use more turbo boost to raise dynamic compression but my friend with the 1.9 TDI drives fast, faster than we can here and he gets 50mpg US 3.8L= 1 us Gal.
but like land speed records, in can be very complicated and expencive to set a world record. so doubt hyundai will take you up on it, also caltex Vortex diesel would be hard to find australia wide you would need to do the around australia thing to match the 48 states USA as about same distance. you also need official's that would check all measurements and distances so they were all perfect for it to be a true world record.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal