i30 Owners Club

Is Mobil 1 really suitable for Australian CRDi?

Offline fastscud

• 2nd Gear
According to the owner's manual, CRDi's without DPF should use oils that meet API Service CH-4 or higher and ACEA B4.

Mobil 1's spec says it meets ACEA B4, but doesn't say it meets API Service CH-4.

I note that M1 says it meets API SN, but that's for gasoline engines, not diesel engines.

Does that mean M1 shouldn't actually be used on the CRDi?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I do believe that Mobil 1 is suitable.
Pip is our resident oils expert so hopefully he will see this and give you a better answer than I can.
I use Shell Helix Ultra in my diesel (& did in the last one too).
  • Tertius the i30

Offline fastscud

• 2nd Gear
Thanks db08.

Perhaps I should clarify.

I've seen M1 mentioned on the forum as a suitable oil, hence my question: it doesn't seem to meet API Service CH-4 - which is specified in the i30 owner's manual - so is it actually suitable?

Or asked another way: can the requirement for API Service CH-4 be dropped if the oil meets that other requirement (ACEA B4)?

cheers!

Pip
Thanks db08.

Perhaps I should clarify.

I've seen M1 mentioned on the forum as a suitable oil, hence my question: it doesn't seem to meet API Service CH-4 - which is specified in the i30 owner's manual - so is it actually suitable?

Or asked another way: can the requirement for API Service CH-4 be dropped if the oil meets that other requirement (ACEA B4)?

cheers!
Without chasing up what CH-4 is again I have to say that your conclusion fits with mine. That is if it fits the ACEA spec then it's all I need to know (with regard to meeting Hy specs).

Generally, the American specs are similar (well different really) yet less rigorous than the EU ones and their fuel has more sulphur (at least with the diesel) which modifies the needs a bit.

B4 is the best oil you can get. There are of course better oils within that spec that you need to find if you so wish. :goodjob2:

My opinion is that M1 0w40 is a good oil for the CRDi (and the petrol for that matter).

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I use Penrite HPR 5 Full Syn,meets and exceeds all Hyundais requirements, oil is a personal choice some like one others like another,personally I have found with  the oil of my choice Bruce and Cyril seem to run smoother and quieter and I can't prove it but I think I get a little better economy,the first two I know are true the last maybe a figment of my imagination.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:28:39 by Rick »
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Pip
I use Penrite HPR 5 Full Syn,meets and exceeds all Hyundais requirements, oil is a personal choice some like one others like another,personally I have found with  the oil of my choice Bruce and Cyril seem to run smoother and quieter and I can't prove it but I think I get a little better economy,the first two I know are true the last maybe a figment of my imagination.
I know you weren't asking for an opinion and I respect yours, particularly as its based on actually using the oil and you've got tats. :sweating:

The Penrite HPR 5 oil is a thick 40 grade (15 cSt) and while perhaps offering good lubrication is not likely to improve economy over a thinner oil. Further, like all oils that are supposedly "full synthetic" it's impossible, unless they say, to know what base oils and what percentages they use. I take the "full synthetic" line with a pinch of salt because that can be used to describe the lowest of synthetic base oil that is not actually synthetic but merely "close to it" and derived from crude oil of which derivatives were formerly called "mineral". Mind you that goes for the lot of them... Mobil, Castrol... all of them... pricks!

Marketing bullshit. :Shocked:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Somewhere on here is an oil guide signed by the engineer at Hyundai.

From memory there were a number of Mobil one oils on the list.

I know Mobil one 0w40 was definitely on the list, I remember because I use it.

I tried to search for it, but I have had a few jars and I couldn't find it....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Pip
To find an oil that satisfies Hy is simple. DPF =  C3. No DPF = B4.

To find the best oil in either of these categories?  Enjoy the search.  :confused: :undecided: :wacko: :happydance: :snigger:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Pip
Found it,
I'm not sure if that is directed at my suggestion to enjoy the search (for the best oil) but if it was I actually meant to enjoy the search for the holy grail - filled with the best oil. :lol:

Even so, the thread you found was a good one and quite pertinent to the question asked here. Well done! :goodjob2:

Edit: I see it was related to your own post...  as I said, a good find.

Pip
I've just this week put Mobil 1 0w40 in my CRDi for its 60K service.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal