i30 Owners Club

Hello from Bournemouth, UK.

Offline alderny

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bournemouth
Hello everyone, I have a steel grey i30 1.4 Comfort. It's my first Hyundai and so far I'm very impressed with it. My previous car was a Honda Jazz which was good except for its hard ride and overly expensive servicing.

I'm particularly pleased with the i30's fuel economy, especially after the lighter Jazz which returned 50+ mpg (imperial gallon), which equates to 5.6 litre/100km. However, so far and with careful driving the i30 is returning a similar figure despite being 40% heavier.

One thing that puzzles me though, is Hyundai's pricing policy regarding the 1.4 and 1.6 litre versions of the i30. The trim and features are absolutely identical; in fact the only difference is that the engine's stroke is 10.45mm longer. To achieve this requires no more than machining a crankshaft with a throw 5.225mm greater and fitting correspondingly shorter con-rods (sorry if this is a bit 'techy'). Hence, there would be a ZERO cost difference in the manufacture of these two models and yet the 1.6 retails for £1,300 more than the 1.4. Can anyone explain why? I suspect that with ordinary driving the difference in performance would only be slight, and if the magazine testers are to be believed, the 1.4 variant is the smoother.

My i30 even came with a full sized spare tyre fitted on an alloy wheel, which I think is most generous. Happy motoring! :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi alderny,

Welcome to the club.... You join several other "much loved" UK members who make interesting and humorous posts on a regular basis... :P

That is a strange anomaly with the pricing (can see why you went the 1.4 - not available in Australia)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Alderny,

Welcome to the club.
Why does Hyundai charge so much more for the 1.6 over the 1.4?...Because they can.
If people want a bigger motor, Hyundai know people will pay more.
I am not to sure about the UK, but here in Australia, we typically pay $2000 more for an automatic transmission option. You cant tell me that the auto costs that much more than a manual?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Alderny. Nice to see you in the club  :D

I'm sure there's no more to the difference than a longer/wider stroke as you say, but as Eyma said they can charge what they think you will pay.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline alderny

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bournemouth
Quote from: "EymaTeapot"
Hi Alderny,
...in Australia, we typically pay $2000 more for an automatic transmission option. You cant tell me that the auto costs that much more than a manual?...
Thanks everyone for your friendly welcome messages! So soon too!  :)

In the UK the auto option costs £1,000 more, which at current exchange rates is equivalent to $2,167 Australian Dollers, so we get overcharged by even more! I'm sure you're right though about pricing - they charge what they feel customers will pay.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Quote from: "alderny"

My i30 even came with a full sized spare tyre fitted on an alloy wheel, which I think is most generous. Happy motoring! :D

Welcome to the forum alderny

I've the 1.6 crdi but I only got a space save spare.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hi Alderny and welcome to the ever exapnding UK section of the club!!

My 1.6 Premium Petrol only has the space saver spare as well :(

Cheers
Brian
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal