My first over 1,000 kms trip

accim · 11 · 3795

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
YES, i finally did it!  :mrgreen: I thought it was impossible.. So how did it happen? Well, here's the story..

I went on a business trip to Bosnia, which is approx 400-500 kms away from Slovenia (well it depends which town we are talking about of course).
So..I started from Slovenia and drove to Bosnia (town Zenica) the first day..it was about 570-600 kms, don't know exactly and I drove about 5,5 hours and waited about 1 hour at the borders..

The map 1
The map 2

The first day I arrived to town Zenica and the second day I went to Sarajevo (main capital of Bosnia, which is about 80 kms from Zenica). I drove to and through Sarajevo and around and in the evening I went back to Zenica to sleepover.. When I parked the car I checked my fuel cons. and other readings and they were like this:

My average speed was 73 km/h
My fuel consumption was 5,2 lit
I did 864 kms
And I had diesel for 132 km's more

If you put 864 + 132 together that's 996 kms right? Yes..well that wasn't the over-1,000-kms-trip, even though I think I had fuel for at least 150 kms..

I filled up my car next day to the top in Bosnia with some Diesel 5 or something, that was supposed to be better. The man on the gas station told me that the car should be more responsive, should do more kms with tank and so on.. I know that on that gas station their "normal" diesel is much better than our "normal" in Slovenia (well in Slovenia we don't have any other diesel on any of our gas stations), so why not trying..

Result? It really was better  :eek: The car really did go better and I did 1,050 kms with 1 tank but I was driving much faster when going home. I drove 160 km/h some time and few times over, mostly of course around 140 km/h (highways).. I got home (610 km's trip), the other day I went to Slovenian see (town Portorose) and to Italy - Trieste (i did 350 kms)  and the next day I went to Ljubljana (capital of Slovenia) and back (did 90 km's).

Unfortunately I didn't take much pics when i was in Bosnia, i also didn't have my normal camera with me, only the "backup" one.. Here are few.. (Click on the numbers)

Croatian highway.. About 200 km's of it..it gets really boring.. Well sometimes it's interesting because it's "crowded" , but this time..just borring.. 1, 2, 3, 4

Sarajevo..beautiful town..sadly didn't have much time.. I'll try to pic it more next time I go..maybe next month?
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well done accim.. nice little story and great result  :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
i wish we could drive so fast in australia  :eek:

but thats fantastic! very well done  :razz:
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
i wish we could drive so fast in australia  :eek:

but thats fantastic! very well done  :razz:

:wink: Well I didn't really drive that fast and not for long and not in Slovenia. I've driven faster through Croatian highways.. Anyway..a bit off topic, but when you mentioned fast driving...

Today..on our news..they said that in Slovenia, during the period of 2 weeks, 173 drivers were caught by stationary radars, driving over 200 km/h! Some even 250 km/h! (that's a lot considering the fact that whole country - Slovenia has only 2 mil. people)

That's FAST  :eek: But the most shocking thing is that in front of most radars (about 100-200 m) we have signs that say "attention radar control" (but sometimes they are "empty" - there's no radar in the boxes). So they were driving over 200 km/h and hoping for the best..silly.. That also means that at least 10-20% of ALL Slovenian drivers drive over 200 km/h daily.. Well if I think of it..yap they do..I know sometimes when I go 160 or something I get passed by a lot of "business men" in BMW's 5, 7 or Audi's A8, etc and they sure aren't driving under 220.. :mrgreen:

By the way..our speed limit on highways is 130 km/h. Even if you drive 130-140 km/h you probably won't get ticket for speeding, but for 200 km/h..you do..and if you drive twice over 200 km/h (or even 180 km/h) you will end up losing your license and you must wait 2 years till you can go to the driving school again. I think they will soon add, that they can even seize your car for that kind of driving..

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear
  • Purrrrfect (AKA Radar...)

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
WOW the fact that you can be in two or three different countries within your 1000 Kms is mind blowing.  If I drove that far I would be in Sydney.  :eek:  Not that there would be anything wrong with that, but being in Sarajevo or Trieste is just a bit more impressive.  :D
  • Dark Knight Kona Highlander 1.6l turbo aka Connor

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
By the way..our speed limit on highways is 130 km/h. Even if you drive 130-140 km/h you probably won't get ticket for speeding, but for 200 km/h..you do..and if you drive twice over 200 km/h (or even 180 km/h) you will end up losing your license and you must wait 2 years till you can go to the driving school again. I think they will soon add, that they can even seize your car for that kind of driving..

ooh sorry should have popped back earlier
i think 130 km/h is a lovely respectable speed limit. our speed limit (at least in my state) is 100 to 110. so when i say i wish i could drive that fast i just really wish i could have that extra 10-20k's per hour. we have pretty crap roads in general here but the government is also a bit anal so they think restricting the limit is better, but we have sections where we could drive faster at no extra risk (in my opinion any way). our police will book you for even being 5-10 k's over. what i find the issue with it all is, is that on the very long drives you spend too much time worrying about being within the limit which takes concentration away from other driving duties. if i knew i was allowed to drive up 120 km's hour safely without being booked on my long drives (800 km's)  it would be a safer drive for me overall.

anyway not everyone agrees with the logic, and i've never had cruise control before, but its a bit of a bug bear of mine  :lol:

plus of course we need a "real" national highway

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
WOW the fact that you can be in two or three different countries within your 1000 Kms is mind blowing.  If I drove that far I would be in Sydney.  :eek:  Not that there would be anything wrong with that, but being in Sarajevo or Trieste is just a bit more impressive.  :D

One more thing that's interesting.. In Slovenia, there are at least 4 totally different "areas" - because of the location of the country - it's on some kind of "a crossroad". You have the alps, sea, lowlands, etc.. Well..it's like that when you live in small country..but living in small country isn't really that nice :)
http://kraji.eu/slovenija/slovenija/slo

snowcherry: I agree with you, it would be safer if we had a head up display (even though it doesn't look that "cool" to me)..but we don't so it isn't. I have a friend (ok she's a female) that she spends much more time looking at the speedometer than on the roads, when driving through populated ares.. It would be much safer if she was driving around 60 kph and looking on the road than 50 kph (that's the speed limit) and checking the speedometer 80% of the time. She wouldn't see a cow in front of her. 110 kph on the highway (if driving for longer period of time) can be really boring.. I agree..you can easily fall asleep.

But your speed limits are good for fuel economy and in the end also probably for the safety. Some people can't handle the car at 70kph, not to mention 130, 150 or more.. I'm on the road all the time and I keep meeting young drivers, that drive above 200 kph but I wouldn't let them drive on the parking lot..

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
110 kph on the highway (if driving for longer period of time) can be really boring.. I agree..you can easily fall asleep.

But your speed limits are good for fuel economy and in the end also probably for the safety. Some people can't handle the car at 70kph, not to mention 130, 150 or more.. I'm on the road all the time and I keep meeting young drivers, that drive above 200 kph but I wouldn't let them drive on the parking lot..

yes we have one section where the highway is 100 and not very good, and then it hits a very nice upgraded part and lovely to drive but it drops to 90. and it is extremely boring to drive because its 90 and you become sleepy. its very frustrating indeed.
but you are right some people cannot handle higher speeds, and 10 years ago i couldn't have handled 110-120 on the highway. only now that i've done the long trip so many times and become used to it that i wish i was allowed to go faster.  and i could never go as fast as 200k, i wouldn't want to try, at least not on our roads

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
200kmh  :cool:  mmmm speed
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hey great travel story Accim, it's always good to hear the different systems & fun to experience when you travel for a holiday. you would find Australia novel too.
we did not always have a fixed speed limit here in Australia. and we used to drive at high speeds. in the country the speed sign that had no fixed limit was a white sign with a black line across it this ment no fixed speed limit. fuel was cheap it was so cheap we did not even know or care how much a gallion but if i put $2 to fill my tank my friends would say wow i never put more than $1 in there tank at a fill up. if i can remember right $2 would have got me about 7 imperial gallions ( 4.54L per Gallion ). the roads were no were near as good as they are now and the tyres on cars were not as good brakes were not good. no seat belts no air bags, the front winscreen's were safety glass as safer to go through than laminated like we have now. ( no seat belt so in an accident you go through the windscreen ) we used to think 120kph was about a good average speed on a trip & 140kph if you were in a hurry, the V8's got good economy going fast and the smaller motors used more fuel. but in town was other way around. was normal to have cooling systems fail and fan belts fly off or break. the old drum brakes would fade and felt like no brakes , also they would grab on one side so you had to hold steering very tight. but i'm still here. i drove a HO falcon Syd to QLD to run it in for the 500 @ Bathurst, that was a blast.
but times have changed the roads are light years better but we have a lot more cars and trucks on the roads.  so the speed limits work.
cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Jeepers John.. I can only just remember some of that  :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal