i30 Owners Club

Top Gear - Diesel car race and musings

Offline aussie pete

• 1st Gear
Did anyone see last weeks Top Gear were they raced 3 diesel cars over 700 miles. No fuelling allowed and they had to make it by a certain time? There was diesel Jag, a VW polo and a Subaru liberty. (Yes they could have used an I30). It was quite amazing to watch. Particularly at the end when their fuel guage and trip computers were telling them that they had no fuel left and yet they still were driving.

A similar thing happens to the I30 trip meter at the 50km to go mark - it just goes blank. I usually fill soon after this point.

Has anyone managed to drive until the fuel has actually run out? Is 50km about right? Or can it run for quite a while after like the Jag and the Polo did.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Top gear is great entertainment, but everything is staged for dramatic effect. Just wait until you get the episode with James May in er his Zepplin  :lol:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Top gear is great entertainment, but everything is staged for dramatic effect. Just wait until you get the episode with James May in er his Zepplin  :lol:

Yep classic stuff :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline reecho

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Pity the I30 wasn't around when they filmed it......

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear
  • Purrrrfect (AKA Radar...)

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic

We may never get to that episode if Channel 9 keep showing one new episode and then one repeat.  Bolivia was this week, but next week is Vietnam AGAIN.  I have already seen that one twice.  I wish it had not changed TV stations....... :evil:
  • Dark Knight Kona Highlander 1.6l turbo aka Connor

Offline reecho

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Yes the internet is your friend to avoid this...... :cool:

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear
Did anyone see last weeks Top Gear were they raced 3 diesel cars over 700 miles. No fuelling allowed and they had to make it by a certain time? There was diesel Jag, a VW polo and a Subaru liberty. (Yes they could have used an I30). It was quite amazing to watch. Particularly at the end when their fuel guage and trip computers were telling them that they had no fuel left and yet they still were driving.

A similar thing happens to the I30 trip meter at the 50km to go mark - it just goes blank. I usually fill soon after this point.

Has anyone managed to drive until the fuel has actually run out? Is 50km about right? Or can it run for quite a while after like the Jag and the Polo did.

The display going blank after only 50km left seems to be the norm. I once drove my Stilo JTD to that point, and actually drove 65 kilometers more after the display going blank, and it did not go dry.

But on pump, I did fil the whole 58 liter capacity withouth trouble, so there may not have been that much left.

Notice that since these modern CR turbodiesels generally use less than 5 liters per 100km, gauging the last 50 km is technically VERY hard, that's only 2.5 liters! That's why they are showing blank, the sensor really isn't getting any sensible reading anymore.

The range to empty display on our i30 seems to be VERY pessimistic, but the car only has run 1800 kilometers so far, things may change.

lindlake
i tryed once and i went 150 km after the fuel light came on

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
One of our long term members BOB (our130) did a comprehensive table, somewhere on here and that shows that the distance to empty seems to learn your driving style to some extent and adjusts the distance to empty up a bit over time but still remains conservative...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline BarryD

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Milton Keynes
My old Sante Fe would go blank at 50km / 30 miles to empty... mind you that was around a gallon left.  Much happier with the i30  :D  It's early days but it seems to be settling around 650 a tank. 

On topic: How do we think a diesel i30 would stand the 24 hour endurance race Top Gear did with the diesel BMW a few seasons ago?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal