Questions: 1.6 CRDi 116 BHP Chiptuning Tuningbox

birdhouse · 85 · 26367

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
So far I can't find anything other than mass debate.

Yeah, a lot of other forums are fairly "hands on..."  :rofl:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Xamaxy
@beerman

Tuning box is sort of illegal. Why would any magazine then write about it? I love it that they dont write about it since that would give FOR SURE my retarded government idea to ban them since they cause all the car crashes and all deaths.
+
Reporting extra HP moves me into higher insurance category for 100Euro more.
These are few reasons why no one is talking about them :D

Its better this way sort of under radar :goodjob:

I said once and i'll ask you also, find me a single topic or subject that you wont found opposing opinions on internet!
Hell, i bet you Earth is not round and there will be some site stating we are all been fraud and Earth is flat! ...internet is becoming seriously useless.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
No use of the s word, but obviously something else is upsetting the flux capacitor.....

Anyway in a nutshell, I was saying I'm after economy rather than power.

I'm not adverse to spending money if I can see a return on investment. I've had 4 cars on LPG, and thats not a small investment to install, but the economics is there, and proven.

But from what I see on Google all the  discussion on forums of various brands is arguments about their effectiveness.

I am of the opinion that if they worked, they would be all over car magazines having been tested and proven.  So far I can't find anything other than mass debate.

are you going to put LPG injection on the diesel? that works & gets better economy & more power, know a few that run it, & one guy from forum has it on a Hilux diesel. only need a very small tank & you still use diesel they work together.

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
I got the tuninbox installed today for testing free of charge. I measured the approximate engine performance before and after and I must say that the difference is more than obvious.
However, I have noticed that the tuning box has multiple operating modes. When driving calmly, it does not provide any boost in performance. After kicking it a little harder, all hell breaks loose... At least for me :)

After crunching numbers, I got around 110 BHP after installing the box. That's a nice improvement over 90 and just where the high-power variant of the engine is. For those looking at the numbers in the graphs - those measurements were obtained on the same stretch of road (not completely flat) at approximately the same temperature with the help of OBD-II based software. Also, the power and torque are measured at the wheels, without transmision loss or air temperature correction. I'm mainly interested in relative changes in torque and power. And if you presume that previous peak was at 90 BHP, then the new one is at 110 BHP.  :mrgreen:
First stop was at the gas station. I filled it to the top and I'll report on the comparison of the true fuel consumption vs. the one that is displayed by the trip computer.

Xamaxy
Here we go. The best test we all could hope for! :goodjob:

Cant wait to see results after first tank.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi neoto.. Still down over 10% on the 115HP diesel (85kw and 255nm)  :undecided: (as long as you are happy with the performance gain)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

If I had a chance, I would have gone with 115HP diesel in the first place. But I had to order one from the stock and only 90HP diesel was available with cruise control and in the color I like.
Anyway, I'm happy with the gain. I don't need power for racing, but just a little more of it to climb a few hills more easily on the motorway here in Slovenia. I'm still a little worried of the longevity of the components (injectors, diesel particulate filter) due to higher commonrail pressure/richer fuel.

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

Just an update... The box failed in less than 1 day. I arrived at work the day after I had the box fitted and when I wanted to drive home, the engine wouldn't start and the check engine light came on.
After removing the box by myself, the engine started just fine... I thnk i will need some additional convincing before fidling with the engine again...

Xamaxy
Heard of this several times.  bad luck :(

Worst thing in tuning is if done by incompetent fools...

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yeah, that's why I'm not into tuning boxes. If you decide to tune your engine, I would advise you to chip-tune it (ECU remap). The good ones in Slovenia are: RSR Motorposrt or SKN, etc.. You'll get approx 90->115 hp and 235->275Nm. Huuuge difference. The prices are around 400-600 EUR, but it's worth it.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Like everything that's mass produced, you'll get the odd dud...doesn't mean they all are though.... :confused:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Like everything that's mass produced, you'll get the odd dud...doesn't mean they all are though.... :confused:

Yeah, I remember a friend having box few years ago in his Santa Fe (2.0 CRDI 125hp). He got it installed at Hyundai service and had it in from the day one, till the day he sold the car (after 4 yeras and approx 150.000 km).

Xamaxy
Condition of that car after 150.000km and tuning box? Did Hyundai service in taht time find damaged parts?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi neoto.. Still down over 10% on the 115HP diesel (85kw and 255nm)  :undecided: (as long as you are happy with the performance gain)  :goodjob:

Dazz i think this, software neoto is useing, show's drive wheel power & torque. the factorys quoted power & torque would be measured at the flywheel on an engine dyno when the motor was being developed .

THat looked like a good gain neoto, sorry the box failed.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Condition of that car after 150.000km and tuning box? Did Hyundai service in taht time find damaged parts?

Don't know. He sold it like that. He didn't have any problems, but the tuning box he had, was installed by Hyundai service (and also bought there) - it was quite expensive then.. Around 600 EUR I think. But I know it was a box, because I remember, we also had the same Santa Fe then (04' Santa Fe 2.0 CRDI 125hp), and the service guy told me, we could install a chip-box and it would go much better.

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

I contacted multiple tuning garages... It appears that the new 1.6 CRDi has a new Bosch engine management computer EDC17 that may be protected against tuning. I'm having an appointment next week to see if it is possible to tune it without opening the computer physically (I won't allow that). Also, they say that the tuning box can make DPF fail fairly quickly.

edit: It looks kind of impossible: http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/news/article.asp?id=129

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
edit: It looks kind of impossible: http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/news/article.asp?id=129

That's a fantastic read... thanks for the link neoto :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Good link. Very interesting...

Well, I know many people bought 90hp engine version (including me) and tuned it to 115hp. Even some Hyundai sellers used to "advise" buying the 90hp version over the 115hp one and then just tuning it. That way, you don't have to wait long time for 115hp version (especially in Slovenia, where almost all CRDi i30's are 90hp ones and it takes quite long time to get the 115hp and especially 128hp ones) and the car is cheaper. I guess it got really widespread and they did something about it..

But I'm pretty sure the tuners will find some other "normal" way to be able to tune the car, even with EDC17 ECU.

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

Well... who needs particle filters, anyway  :P
If only there were tuning boxes that would turn themselves off during the regeneration...

I see one solution: I noticed that the exhaust temperatures are somewhere around 300 °C during normal driving and rise up to 550 °C during the DPF regeneration (data read from OBD-II). I could design my own circuit that would bypass the tuning box during the regeneration automatically. I just don't have any data on what signals fuel pressure sensors are outputting.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Well... who needs particle filters, anyway  :P
If only there were tuning boxes that would turn themselves off during the regeneration...

I see one solution: I noticed that the exhaust temperatures are somewhere around 300 °C during normal driving and rise up to 550 °C during the DPF regeneration (data read from OBD-II). I could design my own circuit that would bypass the tuning box during the regeneration automatically. I just don't have any data on what signals fuel pressure sensors are outputting.

The other way is to have your regeneration done on the Hyundai service. I know on Slovenian Hyundai forum, there's user (tintor), who has official service for Hyundai (Brežice) and I remember him saying that the regeneration can be done also manually on service. But you would have to go there then quite often.... Probably not the best solution.

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
neoto, how do they regenerate the DPF? & does they type of driving you do, like heavy traffic or longer distanes at faster speeds effect how often the DPF needs regenerating? also is it just something the ECU activeates itself or do you activate it?
thanks

Xamaxy
Didnt know that in slovenia CRDi has DPF!! This is the ultimate useless thing one can have on a car. By removing cat i felt engine sings from joy, cant imagine how muc crap holds up cat + dpf  :faint: :faint: :faint:

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

@Lakes: Well, that's another story. In theory, the ECU should start DPF regeneration when it detects a predefined pressure drop on a DPF. It then raises the temperature by injecting more fuel and cleans the DPF by burning the soot remains in it. That's in theory. However, I noticed that the ECU start DPF regeneration every 700 km (+/- 10km) regardless of driving style, where I buy the petrol or the weather conditions. I simply can't imagine that the pressure would reach this predefined value every exact 700km. Moreover, the manual says that DPF should regenerate every ~1000km....

@Xamaxy: Go and ask your dealer whether new CRDis in Croatia have DPFs! :) I had no choice in buying CRDi with or without DPF. It's a standard 'feature'. Before I got the car, no one informed me of this.
Anyway, do you have any problems on regular inspections of the car?
I don't like the idea of modifying the car for now because tt has 5 years of general warranty. I need a reliable car that wouldn't cost me too much.

Xamaxy

@Xamaxy: Go and ask your dealer whether new CRDis in Croatia have DPFs! :) I had no choice in buying CRDi with or without DPF. It's a standard 'feature'. Before I got the car, no one informed me of this.
Anyway, do you have any problems on regular inspections of the car?
I don't like the idea of modifying the car for now because tt has 5 years of general warranty. I need a reliable car that wouldn't cost me too much.

So far, few had DPF and they are willing to pay 200-300 euro to remove it.
Im going on monday for 35.000km big service and then we'll see if any problems. Tuned from 5000km....so 30k km is pretty much nice "trip" for any damage to show itself atleast in small way.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal