Front Disc Replacement Choices

ElleB · 6 · 2003

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Hi All,
   The time has come to replace the discs....  143K.. but I had them skimmed 20k ago... with new pads.  Never was happy  they squeaked a lot from the get go and had a faint pulse on a downhill run, where the Auto does tend to pick up pace..so it is "dab dab"  to hold her back...

BUT  just in the last week the vibration up through the steering column when "dab dab " down that same hill is very marked. Took it to the break guy and he said that there must be a bit of distortion and when hot, that pulse is accentuated ....badly..   Mmmmmmm   wonder if it had to do with a crappy job initially ?

So... advice / experience please...  stick with the OEM, which gave great service and never a peep of a squeak... or go to a DBA vented disc.. or a off the shelf job from the likes of Repco etc .( 20% off this month)

Appreciate all views...
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
What do you do to your brakes? I sold my cw with 136k on it and never touched them.....

Whilst I was happy with the originals, no doubt Hyundai will want a large sum of folding and your first born for them. Ebay seems to have a wide variety for very reasonable prices. For example $160 rotors and RDA pads....

:link: Front Disc Brake Rotors RDA7876 Brake Pads Suits Hyundai I 30 ALL Models 07 ON | eBay
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 00:11:55 by beerman »
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Well we never had to either, until  there was need for a pad change.. the wife drives up and down some very hilly terrain on the outskirts of Sydney for work , so that is where most of the Kms were accumulated, with the necessary braking to boot!  As I said the pad change  and skim was at about 120K km

Thanks Beerman for your note... Got a  Hy quote yesterday   $173 /rotor...$81 / set front pads.. labour $120..
After market from the "local " brake guy...$98 for "standard" discs.. Pads $70 ( Bendix)  labour  $140
Repco were asking $173 for the rotors but had others for $106 and pads $70/set.  But Repco has 20 %  all Feb... so this was the pre discount price.

Oh  DBA vented discs were $224... :(

Thanks for the Ebay tip
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I have to agree. I lived in Castle Hill for nearly 15 years and regularly drove up (and down) the range out your way. Those hills are very hard on brakes. So I think you've done well.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Hi Trev..... yep  Kurrajong to Colo heights and back 4 days a week... I think we done good to!! :goodjob:
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Bugger, I would have had another 140k on my brakes then  :head_butt: 130k round trip highway miles......

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal