IT LOCKS ITSELF - IT'S MAGIC!!

Dave · 68 · 33388

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
A variation on this theme. A week after I first had my i30 my wife and I went on a trip. It was a very hot sunny day.

I stopped at a village corner store to buy a few things, my wife stayed in the car. I took the keys with me out of habit but didn't lock the car since she was inside.

I had been iin the store a few minutes when another customer came in and announced to the few people there that there was a car outside with the alarm going and a woman locked inside - I had not locked the car so thought it could not be mine. But it was.

The bloody car had locked itself and my wife had got hot and tried to open the door - which set the alarm off. She could not open the door or windows and was well cooked and deafened when I got there. I thus discovered that the car was equipped to lock itself.

I imagine that she would have been able to flip open the manual door lock - but she didn't think of that.

Another day of lost house points.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

mick55
I have never experienced this self locking phenomena, but I don't doubt it exists and I certainly don't want it to happen to me.  This is obviously a defect with the car, has anyone returned to the dealer for an explanation and or warranty work?  I'm thinking it may be an intermittant defect in the HALO system or stray RFI.  Any thoughts?

Offline Kimba

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville, QLD, AUS

• Townsville, AUSTRALIA
I find that my car will lock itself 30 secs after I unlock it but don't get in or put the key in the ignition.  I'm not too sure whether it will lock itself automatically after I get out though, I will give it a go :)

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
Fords lock themselves after 60 secs if you press unlock on the remote and don't get in. Common feature on modern cars. Cannot explain why someone would get locked in however as the locking feature is disabled as soon as you open a door unless you press unlock while someone is still in the car and a door is not opened.

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Pip
I have never experienced this self locking phenomena, but I don't doubt it exists and I certainly don't want it to happen to me.  This is obviously a defect with the car, has anyone returned to the dealer for an explanation and or warranty work?  I'm thinking it may be an intermittant defect in the HALO system or stray RFI.  Any thoughts?
RFI is a good thought. Some, including myself have noticed certain locations interfere with the remote operation. Gave me a cold sweat the first time it happened as I thought I was locked out (and far from home). It won't work unless really close. Happens always in that same place.

I should add, it's never locked by itself though.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Fords lock themselves after 60 secs if you press unlock on the remote and don't get in. Common feature on modern cars. Cannot explain why someone would get locked in however as the locking feature is disabled as soon as you open a door unless you press unlock while someone is still in the car and a door is not opened.

Sent from my HTC Desire
On more than one occasion I've accidentally hit the "open" button on my key ring when I've been within range of my car and even though the doors were already unlocked, that sets off the 30 sec relocking process. The first I'm awar eof it is  when I see the lights flash. :-[
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I have never experienced this self locking phenomena, but I don't doubt it exists and I certainly don't want it to happen to me.  This is obviously a defect with the car, has anyone returned to the dealer for an explanation and or warranty work?  I'm thinking it may be an intermittant defect in the HALO system or stray RFI.  Any thoughts?
RFI is a good thought. Some, including myself have noticed certain locations interfere with the remote operation. Gave me a cold sweat the first time it happened as I thought I was locked out (and far from home). It won't work unless really close. Happens always in that same place.

I should add, it's never locked by itself though.
Got caught out at Black Mountain(?) Canberra once where the various waves from the tower prevented my remote locking from working. Had to use the key in the door. Damned primitive.  :lol: :twisted:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal