i30 Owners Club

Problem with the GPS in the new GD

jimmy_s · 147 · 60664

Offline Nonno

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi,

We purchased our GD  i30 Elite just before Christmas (2012). I have to say I am really disappointed with the integrated GPS. I looks to me like it is an OEM version of IGO My Way, but has been severely nobbled compared to the smartphone versions. I was using it on my old Windows phone over five years ago. Even back then text-to-speech was standard but it isn't included in our i30. My biggest gripes with the integrated GPS is having to acknowledge the operating terms and conditions every time I turn the ignition on. Like has been suggested here, I can't hear the camera warnings. Actual speed has been disabled. Routing, at least in Melbourne is dreadful. Even with the routing profile set to use freeways and toll roads, the thing wants to take me on a rat run through suburban streets. And of course, no text-to-speech. In general, the UI is quite clumsy.

For Australian drivers I'd suggest the iPhone and Android app Metroview is far more functional and the maps are far more up to date. Not sure about Android, but the iPhone version with full Australian maps costs $24.95. Outstanding.

My view for what it's worth ...
  • 2012 GD i30 Elite

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome to the forum Nonno.
There has been some criticism of the GPS in the GD model as you've no doubt read.
I can't comment too much because I've never used one, other than to say that it was one of the main reasons I chose the Active model and added my own Navman MY350LMT with 5" screen and free map updates for life, for $275.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
Just got my first free map update done with my 30k service yesterday.

Dug in to the settings, the map is now a whopping update to Q3 2012 Australia maps. What a joke.

When I last looked, I'm pretty sure it was 2009 (which shipped in a 2012 model car). I already checked the Map for the Kempsey pacific highway bypass, which has been open for over a year. It's not on the map.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Very poor, this has been going on way too long, Hyundai need a good kick up the clacker....   :head_butt:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

They certainly do.
They charge more for the privilege of owning and Elite or Premium but the mapping is inferior to just about every after-market GPS available.
I bought a second Navman the other week for $95 and it's better than Hyundai's.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Very poor, this has been going on way too long, Hyundai need a good kick up the clacker....   :head_butt:

Whoaa lads, back up a bit here!!

Hyundai/Kia do not own the maps, they are supplied by Navteq/Here and as such they are the ones who need the kick.

Whilst it could be argued that the vehicle manufacturer shift their custom to a more up to date supplier, we the consumer do not know what contract Hy/Kia are signed into with Here.

Further to this a different contract with another supplier could see existing models being left behind or having to pay significant money to be converted to a new supplier, can't see owners being overly happy about that and can also see prospective owners being stunned by a hike in model price just to accommodate a "better" map supplier.

As stated by Doggie and many others before the best option with ANY car is actually an after-market unit, that way the customer has the choice.

I guess it depends on what you prefer, I am happy with the shortcomings of the Hy unit (although to be fair the UK maps are currently slightly newer than the "update" to Q3 2012, however I still occasionally find myself driving through fields according to the nav!), but I like the less cluttered look of a built in unit rather than plonking a unit on a beanie on the dash or stuck to the windscreen.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The only issue I've come across - not that I've used the system much in my 3 days of ownership - is that the "local traffic" brings up roads and conditions from 150 miles away, in Leicester :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Whoaa lads, back up a bit here!!

Hyundai/Kia do not own the maps, they are supplied by Navteq/Here and as such they are the ones who need the kick.

Whilst it could be argued that the vehicle manufacturer shift their custom to a more up to date supplier, we the consumer do not know what contract Hy/Kia are signed into with Here.

Navteq also supply maps to Garmin and they don't seem to have any trouble offering current updates for my GPS, so yes, I do blame Hyundai....
Whether they are just plain lazy and aren't chasing up more recent updates up or what, ultimately the buck stops with them....

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I am on an Estate that has only one entrance road and when I approach it the GPS tells me to turn right  :confused: The Estate has been established for about 5 years, good job I know where I live but if I was a stranger it would get me lost . :(  It directs me out of the Estate with no problems , go figure. :rolleyes:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I usually agree with Bumpkin, but not this time. The navigation system in the car is part of the features of the vehicle and marketed as such. Those that pay the extra money are entitled to the best mapping updates available at all times, so Hy do need a clacker kick IMO.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

@ Bumpkin: I hear what you're saying but ultimately, it's the manufacturer's decision to go with the various suppliers and I think they have to take the consequences and that the buck stops with them.
The reality is, their GPS systems are inferior to after-market items and it's one area they need to address if they want to reach their goals in terms of being a world leader in motor vehicle manufacturing.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
What I find strange is that Navteq/Here have a section on their website where you can view the current maps but there appears to be a huge delay before they are issued.

Last year the main A45 road near Birmingham was diverted with a long loop to enable the runway at the airport to be extended. This new layout appeared on Google maps and the Navteq maps (on their website) quite quickly.

6 months later in February 2014 I had a map update for my Nuvi from Garmin - you have already guessed what I am about to say - the new A45 road layout is not shown.

Fast forward to March 2014 and I bought a map update for my 2013 Venga which had 2010 maps installed and I won't bother telling you the result - you already guessed. This is despite the fact that I ordered the update from Navteq's main office in Holland. The maps supplied on a DVD were dated October 2012 and I am awaiting a response to my (March 8th) complaint to Navteq.

There seems to be a significant delay from when Navteq/Here update their maps until they are issued to their customers - be they end users, sat-nav or vehicle manufacturers.

If you read the financial papers you will be aware that Navteq/Here are having financial problems - as are Tom Tom. Even Google are now finding their mapping services to be a money pit.  Perhaps this is why corners are being cut and every economy being sought at the expense of customer service.

Brian is right to put the onus on Navteq - but Hyundai/KIA are remiss in not holding them to account in the need to expedite updates.

We are not alone - I have seen exactly the same problems reported on VW, BMW and Jaguar forums.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hyundai spiel....   :snigger:

Save time, enjoy the journey

With the latest maps on your Hyundai navigation system you can rest assured you’re on the right track wherever you’re headed. Maps are updated regularly to keep up with ever changing road networks that may help you to get to your destination quicker.

Source: Hyundai navigation - Update your Hyundai sat nav maps.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Hyundai spiel....   :snigger:

Save time, enjoy the journey

With the latest maps on your Hyundai navigation system you can rest assured you’re on the right track wherever you’re headed. Maps are updated regularly to keep up with ever changing road networks that may help you to get to your destination quicker.

Source: Hyundai navigation - Update your Hyundai sat nav maps.

They speak with forked tongue, me thinks.  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
And have you read the Hyundai Aussie site about the free updates?

Their complimentary 3 years of updates is a massive total of 2 maps....  :snigger:

Source: Mapcare - Hyundai Motor Company Australia

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
@ Bumpkin: I hear what you're saying but ultimately, it's the manufacturer's decision to go with the various suppliers and I think they have to take the consequences and that the buck stops with them.
The reality is, their GPS systems are inferior to after-market items and it's one area they need to address if they want to reach their goals in terms of being a world leader in motor vehicle manufacturing.

Agreed.

The point though is that all manufacturers with built in systems have a similar issue, and some of those charge a heck of a lot more for their nav equipped cars than Hy/Kia do.

Now if we want the most up to date, best spec are we willing to pay the premium for that which Mercedes/Audi owners do and STILL be behind aftermarket units?

I would suggest that we don't, that is the reason we have gone "budget" in the first place and look back through the forum and you will find most, if not all of us, bemoaning the "hike" in price of more recent Hyundai models to the point where they are "only" £500 cheaper than a comparable motor from an "established" manufacturer.  We can't necessarily have our jam on both sides of our bread folks!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
We can't necessarily have our jam on both sides of our bread folks!

Good point, besides that would be very messy!  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
A close second to having to use both sides of the toilet paper............... :scared:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
A close second to having to use both sides of the toilet paper............... :scared:

You don't?

In the words of an advert Juan Sheet should be enough :snigger:

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
And have you read the Hyundai Aussie site about the free updates?

Their complimentary 3 years of updates is a massive total of 2 maps....  :snigger:

Source: Mapcare - Hyundai Motor Company Australia

Yep. And I just used one of them, to get me up to date with when I purchased the car in 2012... In fact the only differences I've noticed is more service stations and the dealership now on the map.

If you want a real laugh, next time you're in there, ask how much the map update costs when it's not a free one. Its in the order of nearly $200.

Me thinks it's time to find a way to manually update this thing.

I suspect that there is newer maps in existence, but not with Hyundai's POI overlays.

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
Well, after some digging, I think it's obvious that Hyundai have access to more up to date maps...

http://hmc.naviextras.com/shop/portal/newCatalog?view=item&salesPackageCode=67106

Why don't they issue them in the dealership though? might be time for an email!

Edit: I've just fired this off to them:

Hi, I'm writing in regards to the navigation in my 2012 (GD) Hyundai i30.

I have just had my 30,000km service undertaken at a Hyundai Service Centre, where I had one of my two complementary "Mapcare" updates performed, which I was looking forward to, as the maps that shipped with my car where dated as 2009 and were missing many roadways that I use. I was disappointed to see after this update, in my map settings, the device reports that the new up to date map is "Australia New Zealand maps for Kia Hyunday dealers 2012 Q3". The updated map is 1.5 years old!

After searching through the hyundainav.com website, I have stumbled across this: https://hmc.naviextras.com/shop/portal/newCatalog?view=item&salesPackageCode=67106
which shows that there is indeed, a 2013Q4 map out there, my question is, how can I have this map provided to me for my car? The GPS in my car was a contributing factor to my purchase of the Elite model and I don't feel I am being provided with what was advertised.

Your help is appreciated,
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:20:27 by alexeiw123 »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Good luck in getting a reply....The last reply I actually received from Hyundai arrived some 6 weeks after asking the question.

Other questions have gone unanswered...  :fum:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Probably send you a paper map
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

• 2013 i30 Premium auto,petrol hatch - Dazzling Blue
    • Sydney Pet Rescue & Adoption
Well, after some digging, I think it's obvious that Hyundai have access to more up to date maps...

http://hmc.naviextras.com/shop/portal/newCatalog?view=item&salesPackageCode=67106

Why don't they issue them in the dealership though? might be time for an email!

Edit: I've just fired this off to them:

Hi, I'm writing in regards to the navigation in my 2012 (GD) Hyundai i30.

I have just had my 30,000km service undertaken at a Hyundai Service Centre, where I had one of my two complementary "Mapcare" updates performed, which I was looking forward to, as the maps that shipped with my car where dated as 2009 and were missing many roadways that I use. I was disappointed to see after this update, in my map settings, the device reports that the new up to date map is "Australia New Zealand maps for Kia Hyunday dealers 2012 Q3". The updated map is 1.5 years old!

After searching through the hyundainav.com website, I have stumbled across this: http://hmc.naviextras.com/shop/portal/newCatalog?view=item&salesPackageCode=67106
which shows that there is indeed, a 2013Q4 map out there, my question is, how can I have this map provided to me for my car? The GPS in my car was a contributing factor to my purchase of the Elite model and I don't feel I am being provided with what was advertised.

Your help is appreciated,

I just found this Topic when browsing and agree with all the points made.
Did you get any reply to your letter?
I checked the link you mention and Australia is not listed. Seems we are unable to download updates and must go through a dealer at our service. My 1st year service is due in a few weeks.
I upgraded my portable Navman GPS to MY400LMT with lifetime free maps and 4 upgrades per year. I have had it hard wired to the battery for $50 by the dealer and use it for long trips as I know I can rely on it to be more up to date than the inbuilt system. I used the new Hunter expressway and the sat/nav showed me travelling in uncharted territory.
Another feature I don't like in the Sat/Nav is that the audible warning for exceeding the speed limit is 'You are exceeding the speed limit'. I prefer the Navman which just gives a beep and highlights the speed sign. If you want the Sat/Nav to continuously display the speed limit, it does not highlight with the warning. If it is not continuously displayed, then it will flash up on screen together with the audible warning sentence.
The Sat/Nav was one of the features I was really looking forward to when I bought my car so I would not have to window mount a portable one. 'sigh'
At least with the portable one I can now listen to my audio books without the sound disappearing when the navigation instructions are given on the Sat/Nav.
I don't think I will be paying for annual updates after my 2 free ones. What's the point?
I also have a new Sat/Nav  problem which I hope they will fix at the service. All my favourites have disappeared and it won't allow me to save new ones. I can create new favourites and they appear in the favourites list of destinations. However when the engine is turned off, they disappear.
  • i30 Premium

Offline joesama

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi every one...
Just looking through this post. Apparently there is TSB for the GPS unit.
According to the latest service, TSB number is SE04413 as shown on the receipt.
It seems to have made my unit little more smooth and quicker.
Haven't seen any problems with it at the moment so far. Its been about 2 weeks since this work.

:link: Weird noise on startup :(

joe....
  • Merc E200, Merc C250 CGI Avantgard, Hyundai i30 Elite Hatch

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
In Oz the whole maps situation is a joke. 3 years of "free" updates with dealer servicing including the one initial loaded upon delivery. To me that's not an update for a start.

Then there is no update available at the first service anyway... its total bs. In fact if one cared, one might ask the consumer affairs folks to check it out. I think its that bad.

However, in operation the device gets us from place to place without issues so it works as intended. I do think though the claims about updates are a bit of a con.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal