i30 Owners Club

Problem with the GPS in the new GD

jimmy_s · 147 · 60666

Offline Erik

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
What I don't like about the Sat-Nav unit on my 2012 i30 Elite Auto:

1. I don't understand why they didn't put a normal clock that would be independent of the sat-nav unit. A clock that always works well without even having to turn the sat-nav unit on.
2. The volume knobs are too high. Why not at the bottom of the unit, which would be so much easier to reach?
3. I cannot adjust the sat-nav guidance volume. The volume slider is always in the middle and I cannot move it either way. I tried by tapping and with volume knobs but still unsuccessful.
4. The warning notification with the Agree button drives me nuts! Why Hyundai wants me to read it every time I turn the unit on? The dealer said it is a safety feature that cannot be disabled.

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Elite 1.8 Petrol

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
What I don't like about the Sat-Nav unit on my 2012 i30 Elite Auto:

1. I don't understand why they didn't put a normal clock that would be independent of the sat-nav unit. A clock that always works well without even having to turn the sat-nav unit on.
2. The volume knobs are too high. Why not at the bottom of the unit, which would be so much easier to reach?
3. I cannot adjust the sat-nav guidance volume. The volume slider is always in the middle and I cannot move it either way. I tried by tapping and with volume knobs but still unsuccessful.
4. The warning notification with the Agree button drives me nuts! Why Hyundai wants me to read it every time I turn the unit on? The dealer said it is a safety feature that cannot be disabled.

All very valid grievances.

Workaround for Nav volume: hit the i button (right tuning knob) to repeat the next navigation instruction, while he/she is talking, use your steering wheel volume button to adjust the navigation volume.

There is ample room next to the temperature on your little screen in between the taco and speedo to put a clock... why they didn't is beyond me...

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Is it not the same as the i40??

If you have the unit off, pressing the clock button puts a big old analogue clock up on the screen, even with the unit on, pressing the clock button gives a big old digital clock overlaying whichever screen you are on.  On the i40 the clock button is beside the CD slot.

EDIT- Yep just had a look at an interior pic and you have that button, got to agree about the rotating dials being high in the dash :eek:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline mike481050

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
Any more news on these issues?
  • Hyundai I40 Premium Sedan

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Nothing from my end, emailed the Service Manager on Wednesday for an update in the replacement unit but have not heard back.

Offline marty62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands, NSW
Stikman, thought you would have your new unit by now!!! Mine cant make up its mine about the time since daylight savings, keeps jumping back and forth an hour. Got in a real flap when I thought I was running late for work the other day
  • GD PREMIUM 1.6

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
Stikman, thought you would have your new unit by now!!! Mine cant make up its mine about the time since daylight savings, keeps jumping back and forth an hour. Got in a real flap when I thought I was running late for work the other day

^THIS! it's rediculous! why can't it remember what time zone it was in when you last turned it off?

also, when the correct time here is say, 4pm, why on earth has my car told me it's 6pm? there's no sense to that...2 hours out?

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Nothing from my end, emailed the Service Manager on Wednesday for an update in the replacement unit but have not heard back.

Nothing back from the Service Manager so it went to a new dealer today for its 7500km service, they quoted about $200 less then where I purchased it and then when I picked it up it was almost $100 less then quoted 👍 and they washed and vacuumed the car. Anyway back on topic, they have ordered a replacement unit and know nothing about the story from the last dealer about Hyundai not doing replacements at the moment (neither did Hyundai when I spoke to them today). The next week will be the test of the new dealer coming through on their promise but early indications are good. They also improved my low beam lights (again the last dealer had failed on), I will try to find  that thread and update it also.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Nothing back from the Service Manager so it went to a new dealer today for its 7500km service, they quoted about $200 less then where I purchased it and then when I picked it up it was almost $100 less then quoted 👍 and they washed and vacuumed the car. Anyway back on topic, they have ordered a replacement unit and know nothing about the story from the last dealer about Hyundai not doing replacements at the moment (neither did Hyundai when I spoke to them today). The next week will be the test of the new dealer coming through on their promise but early indications are good. They also improved my low beam lights (again the last dealer had failed on), I will try to find  that thread and update it also.

If the new crowd keep up the good work you'll have to give them a big wrap in the testimonial section  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
For UK owners at least there is a software update for our units which fixes the Bluetooth issue of only displaying the first track on your device and more importantly switches on traffic updates in the satnav system. 

I presume that there are other upgrades and patches too, I need to research more to see what they are.

I have just downloaded and installed in the i40, a pretty painless process, but don't believe the bit on the site where it says insert the USB drive and the update will take a couple of minutes, it's more like 20 minutes!

Here is the link

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-HyundaiEMEA-Site

Offline michael25

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
thanks Jim,
have you been able to fix this problem? i have recently taken delivery of an i30 premium, and like you, all i get is soft little beeps, with no voice warning even though all my settings are set to audio and visual.
i'm really hoping all your good work has been able to fix this as i'm finding it really annoying. thanks heaps. Mike

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
My whole unit was replaced about a month ago, traffic updates now work but Bluetooth still does not look for more then the last phone paired, none of the nav features have been updated, system is still slow to respond.....! Not really what I had hoped for 😒

Oh yeah, I can no longer get into the test section now so they have made that change! 😡

Offline michael25

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
thanks Stikman,
and what sort of camera warning alerts do you receive now?
Is it still just a barely audible beep, or has there been some improvement?
thanks. Mike

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I get the beep, not sure but I think the volume is probably linked to the GPS instruction volume which I normally have pretty low. I can test if you would like.

Offline michael25

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
i would appreciate that please.
so that means the beep is the only form of warning that the system produces? the best we can hope for is that maybe the volume can be turned up so it's a bit louder.

Offline alexeiw123

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Port Macquarie
if you go to http://hyundainav.com you will see that Australia is now selectable, looks like we can grab map/software updates now.

It's not letting me download anything though, although a lot of sites don't work from my work PC, so I will try tonight at home.

Offline Stikman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
i would appreciate that please.
so that means the beep is the only form of warning that the system produces? the best we can hope for is that maybe the volume can be turned up so it's a bit louder.

I turned the warnings back on last night and the volume was not great and did not appear to change if I turned up the navigation volume. I looked through the settings but they are greyed out and cannot be adjusted there....another silly design flaw. Not sure if you can adjust the volume as it beeps like you do with the navigation volume, I was unable to test this. Sorry, not very helpful but possibly confirmation that the latest version has soft beeps as I don't recall this being an issue before I had the unit replaced.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
It's not letting me download anything though...

You can get Russia, Brazil and the Middle East. What more do you want :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline michael25

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
thanks Stikman and Jim,
i've sort of come to the conclusion that the alerts work on the basis of a very soft beep to alert you to see what icon is flashing on the GPS map screen. Therefore, you really need to have the map on the screen on all the time. I'd like to disable all the alerts other than camera alerts and see if this makes the screen less busy. Overall, not as good a GPS unit as others i've experienced. My wife who is the regular driver tells me the radio volume is turned down when the beeps start to come on.

Offline Stuffa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Wambie
Hello all, Has anyone had any luck with Hyundai on this. I have just purchased the GDi30 and it seems the navigation is still the same. Even if they had different beeps for different alerts would be better than what they have got. Love the car but must admit I'm just a little disappointed with the Sat Nav for something that's marketed as premium.
  • 2013 Phantom Black GD i30 1.8 Premium auto Hatch

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I think that people are very harsh on Hyundai for the various niggles about the media system, trawl any of the other manufacturer forums and you will find the members having similar complaints about their inbuilt systems.

WHY????

Hyundai, in common with those other manufacturers, do not make the systems themselves, they are third party units bought in, Hyundai UK regularly get asked on their Facebook page what update x.x.xactually does and the answer in the first instance is usually "we are aware of the update and we are currently in discussion with Navteq". I can only assume this is why the updates are available from Navteq before Hyundai, they may wish to test the updates before announcing they are official.

Surely Stuffa you are not suggesting that the only part of your i30 which should or is Premium is the media unit?  If that was your expectation then I am not surprised you are disappointed, but really, the Premium badge applied to your car is about all the extras over the lower models considered together isn't it?

Offline jimmy_s

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I have experienced the GPS unit is other premium cars I have owned, and their list of oversights is considerably shorter than can be found on the Hyundai unit.

The failure of this unit to match that standard of the rest of the vehicle is why it stands out so much.

Hyundai have dropped the ball twice on this, first by clearly not engaging in any User Acceptance Testing, or QA before releasing this in to the marketplace, and then by failing to acknowledge and repair outstanding problems, made even more annoying by dropping back to denying that this is a problem.

At least they have not followed your lead of deferring to it being a 3rd party's problem, not theirs. I've check my chequebook, the cheque was clearly made out to Hyundai, and it they that have offer a 5 year warranty and a 3 year software/map upgrade on the unit.

If the unit was stand alone, or would have been returned within days or purchase, what stops me is I love the rest of the car.

When I am ask prospective buyer what I think of my i30, I say I love it, but defer your purchase until the CRAP GPS is fixed.

I think that people are very harsh on Hyundai for the various niggles about the media system, trawl any of the other manufacturer forums and you will find the members having similar complaints about their inbuilt systems.

WHY????

Hyundai, in common with those other manufacturers, do not make the systems themselves, they are third party units bought in, Hyundai UK regularly get asked on their Facebook page what update x.x.actually does and the answer in the first instance is usually "we are aware of the update and we are currently in discussion with Navteq". I can only assume this is why the updates are available from Navteq before Hyundai, they may wish to test the updates before announcing they are official.

Surely Stuffa you are not suggesting that the only part of your i30 which should or is Premium is the media unit?  If that was your expectation then I am not surprised you are disappointed, but really, the Premium badge applied to your car is about all the extras over the lower models considered together isn't it?

Offline Stuffa

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Wambie
I have experienced the GPS unit is other premium cars I have owned, and their list of oversights is considerably shorter than can be found on the Hyundai unit.

The failure of this unit to match that standard of the rest of the vehicle is why it stands out so much.

Hyundai have dropped the ball twice on this, first by clearly not engaging in any User Acceptance Testing, or QA before releasing this in to the marketplace, and then by failing to acknowledge and repair outstanding problems, made even more annoying by dropping back to denying that this is a problem.

At least they have not followed your lead of deferring to it being a 3rd party's problem, not theirs. I've check my chequebook, the cheque was clearly made out to Hyundai, and it they that have offer a 5 year warranty and a 3 year software/map upgrade on the unit.

If the unit was stand alone, or would have been returned within days or purchase, what stops me is I love the rest of the car.

When I am ask prospective buyer what I think of my i30, I say I love it, but defer your purchase until the CRAP GPS is fixed.

WHY????

Hyundai, in common with those other manufacturers, do not make the systems themselves, they are third party units bought in, Hyundai UK regularly get asked on their Facebook page what update x.x.actually does and the answer in the first instance is usually "we are aware of the update and we are currently in discussion with Navteq". I can only assume this is why the updates are available from Navteq before Hyundai, they may wish to test the updates before announcing they are official.

Well said Jimmy. I'm very happy with my car also but it has an inferior GPS. It looks like in Europe problems have been addressed and fixed and they have a lot better mapping then the Australian version.
Bumpkin I don't know what your problem is. The GPS with intergrated bluetooth was a major selling point and doesn't live up to expectations. The dash mounted GPS I had in my old car was superior to this unit. I simply posted here to find out if anybody had any luck with Hyundai with their issues.
  • 2013 Phantom Black GD i30 1.8 Premium auto Hatch

Offline Titchthephot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Somerset
I do have to agree that the Sat Nav is not as good as I had hoped. My biggest gripe is the UK postcode search (only partial postcodes can be used) . I have just loaded the very latest software update but have no idea what difference it makes (the original was version 5, then I loaded 6 and now 7). I love the car and I consider this to be just a minor niggle. Trying to find someone to talk to about it is a different matter. I wanted to find out if there was going to be a map update and if so would it be a gratis one. My dealer didn't know, I tried to contact Hyundai and they didn't know and suggested I contact Navteq (the software provider). They didn't really know and suggested I contacted the maker of the unit. They suggested I contact Hyundai......and so we start again. Surely someone at Hyundai could take responsibility for answering questions about the Nav system. Like I said, only a minor grumble but I am getting on in years now so moaning is one of the few pleasures I have left in life  :rolleyes:
  • i30 style nav

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
 :Shocked: Not a problem, simply an observation.

Your post states that the GPS unit is marketed as Premium, are you absolutely sure that was the case?  I would have thought that the entire car was classified as such but perhaps not?

When you say "major selling point", do you mean that Hyundai Australia are pushing the GPS feature in their advertising or that for you personally it was a deal maker and that the only part of the Premium model which you really wanted to be Premium is the GPS? 
If the latter then I would have been ensuring that it matched my expectations before signing on the dotted line, as Alan did with his purchase, I think that he would have been quite keen on our Style-Nav model but his reservations about the unit at the time ensured that he bought the Style model instead.

Do you have a "fit for purpose" type law in Australia where you can definitively prove that you have been sold misrepresented goods and get some form of compensation?  Even if you threaten to use that against Hyundai it may waken them up to how serious you all are about the shortcomings :undecided:

(I only have to Google XXXX GPS Problems, inserting any manufacturers name into XXXX to come up with thousands of hits for every one of them, so stand by my original comment that Hyundai are certainly not alone  :undecided: )

Titch, there is currently discussion amongst various owners of i30, ix35 and i40 owners about the UK postcode update, the new Santa Fe has it as standard, new i40's now have it (I presume that this means the i30 and ix35 do too?) yet existing owners don't appear to have been made aware of it and none of the firmware updates do anything to that feature.

Offline Titchthephot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Somerset
I see that there is a new map available for the i30 and I have emailed Navteq and asked if it has the full postcode system (they will reply within 2 days apparently). It costs €160 - which if it does have the update I expect I will get it - although I would like to think that Hyundai (as per the Aussie version) would supply free updates for the first three years - but I bet they don't!!
  • i30 style nav

Offline Titchthephot

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Somerset
From Navteq;     The current 2013 maps do not add any features of change the display; it is a navigation map update only. We do not foresee a system upgrade that would enable navigation on full (UK) postcode.

This contradicts what Hyundai are saying on Facebook. Bit of a poor show if someone at Hyundai can't give a definitive answer. The Sat Nav is an extra £500 so you would think that it would have at least the same facilities as a separate system which only costs £50 or so.

I suppose that the only thing I can gripe about is this minor annoyance then the car must have (and did) exceed my expectations.  I am being greedy - I don't want a 99% satisfactory car ...I want 100%
  • i30 style nav

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal