i30 Owners Club

Steering rack now like a bag of chisels

Shambles · 76 · 21854

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
mine has felt a little "light" for the first few degrees off center... then it feels firm sh17s me to tears, but its always done it, i might have to check it out tomorrow!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
mine has felt a little "light" for the first few degrees off center... then it feels firm sh17s me to tears, but its always done it, i might have to check it out tomorrow!!

Think that's just how Electric assist feels (the Tiida has the same and so have several other cars I've driven recently) some road tester call it wierd steering feel but it is an aquired taste - no prob for me.. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i do much prefer hydraulic systems!! but its probably because its all i know!

its probably better to have electric, less oil used, less oil that needs to be disposed of, better for the environment!

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
If memory serves me right we (Europe)  have a different power steering setting in the ECU than down under which might affect things.

Well tried rocking wheel.

No free play and felt very solid and rsponsive but I did hear a clicking noise coming from the housing behind the wheel where the washer stalk is?

Is this an issue?

Don't think so mine clik/knocking is lower down.

Now have another problem, both front and rear washers have packed up ! Can hear the pump going but no water, think Shambles had a similar problem will do a search.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i do much prefer hydraulic systems!! but its probably because its all i know!

its probably better to have electric, less oil used, less oil that needs to be disposed of, better for the environment!

A lot of cars are going elecric power assist now as it apparently helps fuel economy ... :cool:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
yer? i guess it would help! i cant see a small hydraulic unit drawing that much power... but i suppose every Kw saved helps!

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Second attempt by the dealer finally fixed it - rack mounting bolts loose apparently.  I wanna have a look underneath on the weekend to make sure the bushes aren't flogged or the rack has been damaged in any way from moving backwards and forwards.  I guess I got used to the feeling of it being loose but it feels much more solid and stable on the road now, kinda spewing I let it go so long it feels so much better now.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My Feb 08 build was definitely in the VIN range for this issue. Towards the end of my ownership experience I felt like I was getting a bit of rack rattle but not sure to this day if I was just being Paranoid due to others posts on here... :cool:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
will it matter now?  :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

will it matter now?  :wink:

Not to me  :lol:

So let's see.. That means to get rid of my glove box rattle and a possible rack rattle issue I had to get a $20,000 car loan .. The more problems I can identify with my CRDi the less each one cost me  :D

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
*imagines the rack falling out of dazzlers old car and the new owners abusing dazz for not reporting it*

Hrmmm no 2i30's it probably doesnt matter aye!!

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
So let's see.. That means to get rid of my glove box rattle and a possible rack rattle issue I had to get a $20,000 car loan .. The more problems I can identify with my CRDi the less each one cost me  :D

yer but for every problem you find with the toyota, the more it costs you with that car!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

yer but for every problem you find with the toyota, the more it costs you with that car!

I'm trying not to look too hard...

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
My Feb 08 build was definitely in the VIN range for this issue. Towards the end of my ownership experience I felt like I was getting a bit of rack rattle but not sure to this day if I was just being Paranoid due to others posts on here... :cool:

The noise mine made over rough ground was hard to miss - I just got used to the impact it had on ride and handling.

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
I have had similar problems with my Hyundai i30 - Korean build, 2008 plate, bought in the UK.  Interesting responses on what the believed faults are - worrying multiple.  Interestingly after I someone bumped my car in January 2010, after initial repair and outstanding concerns with the steering and handling, Hyundai further replaced the steering rack, claiming it was due to the accident.  Hmm.  Still have ongoing steering issues.  The problems I experienced before the steering rack replacement were clunking, which seemed to be coming from the steering column, when going round corners or over bumps.

After replacement of the steering rack in January 2010 the steering handling has still been not right, with the steering pulling to the left and being "loose" / not solid.  More recently the steering, despite several complaints to the dealer on handling, got so bad, the steering pulled the vehicle to the left to the point it hit the curb.  Has anyone else had steering handling issues at all with these faults.  I also since having the clutch and slave cylinder replaced, have a rattling underneath the vehicle which Hyundai also can't identify.  No idea if they are related.  Any help gratefully received as for me, this is now no longer just a warranty concern, but safety related.

I think a recall maybe in order - too many cases with safety implications.  I have been informed there is a known steering rack issue - why are Hyundai not doing anything about it?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal