i30 Owners Club

Stuffed Door Seal

Guest · 122 · 31604

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
have you actually priced a new one? i bet its only like $50 ~ $80... wont be that expensive...

It's actually around the $130 mark.... :neutral:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Try and finding a breakers yard. May get one or more for good price.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
thats a pretty good idea.... although i think i30's are a bit hard to find in wreckers here... ive tried to locate a good white panel for my car... its pretty much impossible

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, that was a complete and utter waste of time..... :mad:

I contacted Hyundai last week re my door seal and this is the response I received today....

Thankyou for your response.

Hyundai Australia has advised if a dealer cannot claim a part under the
warranty terms and conditions, which stipulate that a component or part
failure must occur rather then wear and tear or external influences which
cause a breakage or tear, then it is NOT a warranty provision.

Please be advised that more care is needed when entering or exiting the
vehicle to illuminate or prevent rubbing against the seal as admitted by
the owner.

To say I am hopping mad at their pathetic reply to my letter would be an understatement!  :mad:

Offline mantaray

• 3rd Gear
I would be spitting chips as well, but it looks like you will have to suck it up and buy one, have you tried another dealer, or hassle the salesman who sold it to you.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I tried 2 dealers and got the same response from both.....that is, Hyundai will not cover the door seals if there is any sign of wear caused by persons getting in and out of the vehicle...

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions
To be honest it seems a reasonable reply to me. Wear and tear is never included in any warranty.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Pardon the pun but I think rustynutz patience is wearing thin...I can see both points of view but the short length of time it took to happen is a worry... :'(
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
To be honest it seems a reasonable reply to me. Wear and tear is never included in any warranty.
I think you'll find "fair" wear and tear is never included.......
I wouldn't class this as fair wear and tear tho, would you?

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
buy the new one... and be careful... thats pretty much the only way you will get a new one...

yes i do consider it fair wear and tear... YOU have been rubbing against it, not the car, not the door ect ect

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions
^^^agreed. You have obviously been rubbing on it all the time. My car is a tad over 5months old now and no signs of anything like this, but then again I hardly ever touch it.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
woops... i re read that last post... it sounds a bit harsh... but its not meant to be like that... just stating facts! *shrugs shoulders* no offence meant!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Pardon the pun but I think rustynutz patience is wearing thin...I can see both points of view but the short length of time it took to happen is a worry... :'(
You're right, Daz....it is wearing a bit thin...I'm certainly not gonna be backward in telling people what I think of Hyundai and their so called warranty and quality.
Perhaps they need to add something to their warranty exclusions...Hmmm, maybe warranty is void if you weigh over 100 kilos, are aged over 50 and have a disability.....I'm all three....
Can you imagine the uproar?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
woops... i re read that last post... it sounds a bit harsh... but its not meant to be like that... just stating facts! *shrugs shoulders* no offence meant!

None taken.... :)

Pip
..I'm certainly not gonna be backward in telling people what I think of Hyundai and their so called warranty and quality.
Really? C'mon it's not a warranty issue at all.

Perhaps they need to add something to their warranty exclusions...Hmmm, maybe warranty is void if you weigh over 100 kilos, are aged over 50 and have a disability.....I'm all three....
I'm truly surprised you are persisting with this. :-[

If you can't find a sympathetic dealer, then accept it, don't bad mouth Hyundai. I am yet to hear of a genuine warranty issue denied.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
..I'm certainly not gonna be backward in telling people what I think of Hyundai and their so called warranty and quality.
Really? C'mon it's not a warranty issue at all.

I'm truly surprised you are persisting with this. :-[

If you can't find a sympathetic dealer, then accept it, don't bad mouth Hyundai. I am yet to hear of a genuine warranty issue denied.

I'm persisting as I honestly do believe it is a warranty issue...
Put it this way, Pip...if it was your drivers seat that had worn through by doing nothing more than getting in and out of your car over a period of 6 months would you still say it was not a warranty issue? My gripe is no different....

As for bad mouthing Hyundai...why not? Whether it end's up being covered by warranty or not, this part has failed after a measly 6 months and 8,000 odd k's....Not a very good advertisment for a company who, on their own website says, and I
At Hyundai we’re all about you.  We’ve grown to become the world’s fifth largest automotive group by keeping our customers happy – by delivering award-winning quality across our range, and striving to ensure our service experience is second to none.
Well, I'm an unhappy customer and it appears that Hyundai has no interest in making me a happy customer again...and it all boils down to a $130 part which probably actually costs them next to nothing......  :rolleyes:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Wooahh

Are you saying that IF Hyundai were to show a goodwill gesture and replace the seal FOC this time that in 6 months time and because of your weight/movement/agility issues the same were to happen that you would not be bad mouthing the company again???

Looking at your current thinking I suspect that we would simply be adding to the thread again, this does I am afraid to say appear to be an issue with only two of our members which I consider to not be a fault with the item which is not failing due to faulty manufacturing or workmanship which is what most warranty claims consist of..........................

Have you tried asking your dealer what I suggested above ie actually showing them the cause of the issue and requesting advice from them as to how to prevent the same happening with a new seal which you would be willing to even share the cost of?

Failing that is it possible in the meantime for you to tape the affected area with duct/gaffa tape and thereby protecting what is left of the seal and seeing if that prevents any further damage?

I am fully sympathetic to your case, I just don't know what Hyundai could do to prevent you becoming unhappy again in 6 months or do you expect them to provide 10 seals over the period of your warranty?

My car is over two years old now and despite being "new" when I bought it had been on display in the dealership as a "flagship" for the range and therefore had all manners of folks getting in and out prior to purchase and yet shows no signs of any such destruction.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The side of the seat looks to be wearing a bit, if you magnify the image...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
It might be possible to apply a clear plastic tape to the surface (of a replacement) to reduce the friction as its rubbed?

Or maybe neatly disect the offending piece of rubber, and put some self-adhesive rubber of similar profile on the door itself rather than on the pillar. sticky rubber trim is available cheaply from HK sellers on ebay (<$20US). You might need some clear tape where the rubber was, to stop that wearing too.

If you do get new genuine seal it might be best to just replace the offending segment, that way you could use one piece to make several replacement parts.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It might be possible to apply a clear plastic tape to the surface (of a replacement) to reduce the friction as its rubbed?

Or maybe neatly disect the offending piece of rubber, and put some self-adhesive rubber of similar profile on the door itself rather than on the pillar. sticky rubber trim is available cheaply from HK sellers on ebay (<$20US). You might need some clear tape where the rubber was, to stop that wearing too.

If you do get new genuine seal it might be best to just replace the offending segment, that way you could use one piece to make several replacement parts.

Some great suggestions there... We don't like to alienate members on here but I have to agree with what  Birthday boy said... :cool:

Pip
Put it this way, Pip...if it was your drivers seat that had worn through by doing nothing more than getting in and out of your car over a period of 6 months would you still say it was not a warranty issue? My gripe is no different....

Rusty, I agree a prematurely worn seat would be a warranty issue. Seats are designed to be sat on. The dust seal is not. I think that's exactly the point you are stuck on. Your gripe is different.

Everyone here is sypathetically on your side but as I said in my opening remarks, Hyundai simply won't see this as warranty.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
All's good Daz...a bit of robust discussion is good, I'm not taking anything said here personally.... :D

Oh, and thanks everyone for trying to find solutions. I did put some clear tape over the "buggered" section last week so will see how long that lasts.

The side of the seat looks to be wearing a bit, if you magnify the image...

No sign of wear in the flesh, it just appears to be a slight crease, (the actual seat has a few of these as well). I don't thing they are any cause for alarm, just normal for a seat that has had someone sitting in/on it.

Are you saying that IF Hyundai were to show a goodwill gesture and replace the seal FOC this time that in 6 months time and because of your weight/movement/agility issues the same were to happen that you would not be bad mouthing the company again???

That could be quite possible....but then again, I might never have an issue with the seal again. Have you considered that the current seal MAY have been faulty and this "rubbing" from my body/clothes may not be the actual cause of it's failure, bearing in mind I only wear normal everyday clothing...there's nothing abrasive about the materials used.

Rusty, I agree a prematurely worn seat would be a warranty issue. Seats are designed to be sat on. The dust seal is not. I think that's exactly the point you are stuck on. Your gripe is different

How is it really different? While I don't sit on the seal, it IS placed around the door opening where it WILL come in to contact with people as they get in and out.

Taking your statement "seats are designed to be sat on"..surely I could argue "the door opening is made for accessing"? Yes???  :lol:

Anyhow, we're really going nowhere here so I'll just pull my head back in for now and continue my push behind the scenes to have this covered by warranty....

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The way I see it you have two choices.... cut 2" off your legs or write an email to Hyundai Australia asking them for a ruling.. (I which one i'd rather do) :wink:

Looks like I'm up to cutting 2" of my legs now, seeing as I had no joy writing to Hyundai Australia.....

Anyone got a chainsaw?  :P

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

That could be quite possible....but then again, I might never have an issue with the seal again. Have you considered that the current seal MAY have been faulty and this "rubbing" from my body/clothes may not be the actual cause of it's failure, bearing in mind I only wear normal everyday clothing...there's nothing abrasive about the materials used.

Possible but improbable, why would you have one of only two "faulty" seals that we are aware of?  Surely a manufacturing defect in a run of sealant would manifest itself more widely.................
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Had another email from Hyundai, as you can see, they are bending over backwards to keep me happy.... :rolleyes:

Dear Russell.

Thankyou for your response.

Hyundai Australia have advised warranty provision will only cover a
component or part failure and not a breakage, deterioration, wear or tear
on any part of the vehicle. Please refer owner to Service Passport booklet
under "General Exception" on page 3 for further details.

This information is provided for all Hyundai owners of the vehicle and it
is the onus of the owner to read and be aware of warranty and other
exclusions and requirements in order to preserve the 5 year Unlimited km
warranty as per Service Passport booklet.

The warranty coverage, rules, terms and regulations apply to every Hyundai
vehicle sold, as per the service passport booklet and therefore do not
discriminate towards any owner/s of the vehicle.

Kind Regards

Amy
Customer Service Consultant
Hyundai Motor Company Australia

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looks like your chances of a positive result with your warranty claim are.. Buckley's or none... :rolleyes:

"I used to have a handle on life, but it broke...."

On a positive note I love your signature saying... :lol: (at least you kept your sense of humour)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm not ready to concede defeat yet, Daz...... :wink:

And it will take more than a few negative emails for me to lose my sense of humour.... :D

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
This may sound rubbish  :rolleyes:  and only a suggestion.

But if you could have a portion of the seal fixed to the door, rather than the B pillar then it would not get rubbed as you enter the car. Would need a good body shop to do it.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
This may sound rubbish  :rolleyes:  and only a suggestion.
But if you could have a portion of the seal fixed to the door, rather than the B pillar then it would not get rubbed as you enter the car. Would need a good body shop to do it.
I think it's a great idea, but then I suggested it too!

My next approch to them would be to assert that the material used was not of adequate quality. The argument to use is that clearly this is the case as it should not wear so quickly

We are talking about an air-filled D shape section of soft latex rubber with maybe only 1mm thick walls. It does the job when unmolested but it isn't exactly robust.

Hyundai don't stipulate some parts of the warranty only apply to the nimble drivers.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal