Door lights

Hemmi · 61 · 24913

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
No  :'(

You need one of these - strip each wire 5mm, 1 by 1, and test their charge as you go, while the door is open. Make sure you wrap your stripped area with electric tape after each is checked.

If you don't have one, you could buy a voltmeter like in Yoso's mod thread, and once you have your wire you can then install that next to your lighter like he did :D

I still dont understand why your red wire is always 12V, I talked to a mechanic and he says that theres no way a constant 12V is in the door, that means you can power the windows and use all the buttons when the cars off, and that should never be possible.
??? Um, only if the windows are connected to it? Which they wouldn't be? Your mechanic... /slap him.

Question me this:
When your rearview-mirror-light is on "Door", does it not turn on when any door is opened?
It turns on when the button thingy (real technical, aren't I?) isn't depressed. You should be able to connect your light to the same wire that goes to that button (which isn't necessarily in the door, it can be in the frame - I don't have my i30 to check :'( ).
Some cars have alarms that activate if you purely pull the handle without turning the alarm off - those cars would have to have active wires in the door - but that wouldn't help us because turn off the alarm and I would assume that would deactivate that wire's charge :P

If you haven't gotten an answer in 3 or 4 weeks when I have mine I'll see what I can find to compare.

I got a voltmeter, so I dont need to strip the wires, just measure in the end plug.

I never use the rearview mirror light, I only use the ceiling light.

I think my alarm is not active, at least nothing happens when I try to activate it.

Why does my red wire have 12V only when the car is on  :mad:

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I got a voltmeter, so I dont need to strip the wires, just measure in the end plug.
I just figured there'd be more wires than would go to that plug

I never use the rearview mirror light, I only use the ceiling light.
Maybe we're talking about the same thing - the one that has the options: "On/Door/Off" - I usually use the middle one...

I think my alarm is not active, at least nothing happens when I try to activate it.
Yeah, I believe the i30 alarm is not so sensitive as to go off when you touch a door handle. To test that it's on - lock the doors while you're inside and then try popping the bonnet after 1 min wait - it takes a while to activate (I got this from another thread on this forum, this isn't my idea)

Why does my red wire have 12V only when the car is on  :mad:
THAT would probably be the window one... ;)

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

thaks Rubix for the help, I'll check out the other wires on the weekend, I'll post here if I have any success or not.

Offline YOSOYPEPO

• 3rd Gear

• es Spain
      Spain

• Spanish i30 driver
    • http://www.i30.es
thaks Rubix for the help, I'll check out the other wires on the weekend, I'll post here if I have any success or not.
good luck Hemmi

Offline bachus

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      Germany
Yesterday I tried to lay a cable from the door switch into to door. But I failed to get it through the rubbertube. It's because I can't see anything inside the car. The hole for the harness which goes into the door is deep inside (behind) the dashboard. I even can't touch it from inside the car - unless I'll break my bones to get some additional joints :D

I already was thinking about removing the whole door - as I read in the thread now too. So I could start from outside, but than I've still no idea how to catch the loose end of the cable inside the car. So how do I get the cable into the door?  :mad: :evil:

Offline bachus

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      Germany
Noone out there who can help me?

Now with wrenched neck I know, that the plug connection to the door has 39 pins (3 lines each 13)! That's what I count from inside (did it triple to assure). The good news is that there are some unused slots. The bad news is that I now have to figure out what kind of cable lug (correct word?) is used.

I haven't imagine that there are so many wires.. though there are some slots left.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Noone out there who can help me?

Please be patient.. not everyone out there visits us every day..  :wink:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bachus

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      Germany
Meanwhile I got another idea. The doorswitch just toggles ground, right? So it should be possible to assemble a switch at the door itself. Probably at the bottom or where it meets the A-pillar. It would be alot easier because no entry guard removing, no additional cables to lay except inside the door, no headache with how to get the cable into the door, ...
There should be splashproof switches at the market. What do you think about that?

edit:
Could use a reed-switch. Magnet beneath the entry guard and switch inside the door. So no drilling required :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Surprised you've still had no replies...Sorry but I have no knowledge of this area... :'(

Offline 130MAN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi,
Can someone tell me if the  door reflectors come on automatically, because my I30 does not work when I put on my headlights on and open the door?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi,
Can someone tell me if the  door reflectors come on automatically, because my I30 does not work when I put on my headlights on and open the door?

Unfortunately they are only reflectors not illuminated .. although some have modified them so they do light up...

Offline 130MAN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia

Offline felipe3k

• 2nd Gear

• br Brazil
      Recife

• Live from Brazil!!!!
This thread is really nice!!
Hemmi, did you get anything????

i always tought they came on after opening the door... but guess i was wrong...

i wanna try this.... :)

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

Offline nikitas i30

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Athens-Greece

What's that white thing on the upper right corner of the third photo,behind the reflector?A harness or something?

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

I'm not sure, but it was made of some kind of hard foam.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Just a thought  :lol:

Not sure how much room there is behind the door panel. But could you not use a 10mm red led with a 3v battery pack and a small micro push to break switch to turn on the led when the door is open. Not sure what position the switch would need to be in to operate it, but sure it could be fitted into the door panel to push it in when the door is closed.

The 2x AAA battery packs are quite small.

So if there is enough room to install it:

1 x 10mm super bright red led
1 x correct resistor
1 x 3v battery pack (AAA type)
1 x micro switch (push to break)
1 x wire to make up the circuit

Sure the batteries would last for several years or more. The door is generally only open for a few seconds at a time. And even if it is open for longer, I would think the batteries would power a led for several hours.

Offline nikitas i30

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Athens-Greece
I will use this (3 to 6 leds for each door) and i'll take power from the dome light.

Offline nikitas i30

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Athens-Greece

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Do you like my project ?

Splendid!

You fitted a door card in your engine bay :eek: :lol: :P

Good work. Have you wired your doors yet?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline nikitas i30

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Athens-Greece
Not yet hopefully tommorow i'll pass the wires inside the cabin and connct them to the dome light.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline bobbyd

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I've come across this thread a bit late so forgive me if what i say is already sorted cause I've only skimmed across it briefly.  Usually door switches are earths- if you pick up 10v in it I'm guessing this is when you have the interior light operating (due to other doors being open?) and maybe you're reading the circuit being operated and therefore getting the residual voltage going through it?  just a guess? Thats why it would be 10v and not 12v (cause voltage drop across the light operating? Hope that's not a totally stupid guess.

As for the mention of the alarm not working, the i30 has a 60 second countdown before the alarm is activated once you hit the remote.  Dont know why? but i thought my alarm wasn't working when i could lock up but then open the bonnet without the alarm beeping.  On investigating found out the 60 second delay, and it goes off if you open the bonnet etc after waiting the minute.

Offline nikitas i30

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
      Athens-Greece
My project is ready!!! :goodjob2:
Do you like my door lights??

I just follow the steps of the first post,and i need to take out the doors.
It was needed for to pass through the harness the two cables.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 20:32:55 by nikitas i30 »

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
here is one more detailed photo manual of the same procedure, carried out by Russian
http://www.hyundai-iclub.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=2075

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Fine job.... :goodjob2:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Excellent work (well done) :goodjob:

Thanks for the pix too  :D

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Looking good...  :goodjob:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looking good...  :goodjob:

:whsaid: and interest positioning too  :hatoff:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal