i30 Owners Club

Looking after your Leather Seats...

i30manUK · 32 · 14166

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
If you've not had leather seats before you may not appreciate how important it is to look after them.

I've just finished giving my seats their first coating of leather cream (the sort you use for sofas, etc).

In the UK we have a product called Wheeler's Leather Balm (www.beewaxed.com). It's not expensive and it's good stuff. It comes as a cream in a pot or tube, so it's not that rubbish you can buy in an aerosol can.

If you don't look after the leather it will dry out and crack, especially on the driver's seat bolster. The leather in the i30's isn't exactly top quality and mine seemed to be really quite dry, so it definitely needs to be cared for.

G

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
In my younger years (Heh, right) when I used to teach kids how to ride horses, properly, I only used 'Saddle Soap' for conditioning the leather saddles.

Works wonders under the harsh Australian sun.  :lol:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "i30manUK"
In the UK we have a product called Wheeler's Leather Balm (http://www.beewaxed.com). It's not expensive and it's good stuff. It comes as a cream in a pot or tube, so it's not that rubbish you can buy in an aerosol can.
i30manUK.

I've been in email chats with the proprietors of that website, in an effort to find out if any stores near me stock this balm.

They've directed me to this website where I can purchase online.

If you get time can you have a look and tell me if this is the same balm you have used please? The reason for asking is that it looks more like a solution than a cream.

Cheers

EDIT: Scrap that - they want £7.50 delivery
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline nizzkid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Kalgoorlie
Saddles Soap is good for Saddles, don't use it on your car. (read below)

Lexol pH Cleaner
Zaino Z10 Conditioner or  (more leather smell)
Lexol Conditioner  (less smell)

FI's Clean Gel & FI's Feed (see finalinspection.com.au )

Any of the above products are the best you can get.

LEXOL-pH Leather Cleaner is a blend of selected, non-alkaline cleaning agents designed to clean leather safely and thoroughly without the harshness or potentially damaging effects of saddle soaps, which are alkaline.

PRODUCT RATIONALE The LEXOL-pH Leather Cleaner formula is based on the principle of breaking up and removing the oils, which trap dirt in the leather while its foaming action lifts out the embedded dirt, leaving the leather with a clean, alkaline-free environment.
COMPARATIVE PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS
In contrast to LEXOL-pH Leather Cleaner’s foaming action, which loosens and suspends the dirt so that it can be easily rinsed away, the process of applying saddle soap results in working dirt into the leather where it can become trapped by the saddle soap’s own lubricants. Rinsing may not remove all of the deposited soap, dirt and oil, so buildup can occur, subjecting the leather to the harsh effects of saddle soap’s alkalinity.
LEXOL-pH Leather Cleaner is purely a cleaner. It contains no waxes, oils or additives that can interfere with its cleaning action or cause dirt to become trapped in the leather. Although glycerin is included in the formula to provide residual softness following cleaning, it leaves no deposit or impediment to the thorough cleaning of the leather. Dirt and grime are easily and thoroughly rinsed away.

Saddle soap does contain raw oils for the purpose of conditioning. This runs counter to the cleaning action of soap, which involves the removal of dirt by removing oils present on the leather.
LEXOL-pH Leather Cleaner is non-alkaline. Its balanced formula falls within the pH range of leather itself, and therefore, is safer for leather. Since it is alkaline-free it contributes to the prolongation of fiber life.
In contrast, soap must be alkaline in order to clean effectively and it is this alkalinity that is always harmful to leather. Thus, cleaning leather with saddle soap subjects the leather to the harsh effects of its alkalinity which can include: graying, discoloration or staining of light colored leathers, loss of vital tanning agents, cracking of the grain surface and other signs of deterioration.
LEXOL pH Leather Cleaner leaves no buildup on the leather even with hard water. Saddle soap; however, forms an insoluble residue in hard water, which may accumulate on the leather’s surface.
LEXOL-pH Leather Cleaner is concentrated, so its cleaning effectiveness is accomplished with a considerably smaller quantity of product.
In summary, LEXOL-pH Leather Cleaner outperforms saddle soap by safely deep cleaning the leather, freeing it of dirt and accumulated oils, thereby providing an alkaline-free environment ideal for a finishing application of LEXOL Conditioner and Preservative to restore clean, fresh lubrication to the leather.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi nizzkid, welcome to the club  :!:

I actually bought the stuff i30manUK wrote about in his post ("Wheeler's Leather Balm") but I can honestly say it made no difference to the look or feel of my leather seats.

On my steering wheel, it's just made it go tacky.

Unless of course, I haven't applied it correctly.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome nizzkid

Can you oblige by putting your location as this helps when replying to posts as a member may have local knowledge to help you etc.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi nizzkid welcome to the club...Thanks for the tip (as the fat lady ...Oh, never mind  :P )
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
I wonder what happened to i30manUK, he just disappeared  :?:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "Hemmi"
I wonder what happened to i30manUK, he just disappeared  :mrgreen:

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I used Autoglym leather care cream on my Sonata when  I had it.
It was easy to apply and had no real smell, but was pretty expensive. :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Quote from: "Hemmi"
I wonder what happened to i30manUK, he just disappeared  :?:

Reckon he must be on Holidays (I sent him a PM...)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
As I said before, I've used saddle soap on leather saddles. (Some are over 100 years old and still supple and have that lovely leather smell)

Haven't used it on car seats though.

I guess with newer technology there are products that are better suited to the job at hand.

Thank you for pointing that out.  :P

Offline Jaymoon

• 1st Gear

• kr Korea, Republic of
      Seoul

• 1.6 petrol
I recommend Sonax leather care wipes. It is the easiest and the most effective way to protect my car's leather seats ever I used.

http://www.sonax.com/sonax-e/katalog_product.php?show_cat=8&show_product=415600

Offline nizzkid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Kalgoorlie
I recommend Sonax leather care wipes. It is the easiest and the most effective way to protect my car's leather seats ever I used.

:neutral: ... you may recommend them because they are easy.
BUT they are NOT the 'most effective way' of protecting/caring for your leather.
Without even reading into the product I could almost guarantee that not only would they provide next to/no protection, they would most probably cause harm to your leather.

Read above if you really want to care for your leather.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

BUT they are NOT the 'most effective way' of protecting/caring for your leather.
Without even reading into the product I could almost guarantee that not only would they provide next to/no protection, they would most probably cause harm to your leather.

I'd say that these wipes probably have the same protective conditioning cream in them, they are just easier to use than a bottle that you squirt into a paper towel.

Offline Jaymoon

• 1st Gear

• kr Korea, Republic of
      Seoul

• 1.6 petrol

Well, from my experiences, the Sonax one provide enough protection and feeling of good leather seats.
If we use a good cream or some protection products except for wipes , it could provide more protection.
But, the leather on my seats, it's not a great leather seems like ITALY ones.
I think wipes is quite enough to i30's genuine leather seats. So that's why I recommend and judge it like that.
I'd like to use the wipes frequently instead of cream.  8)

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland

Thanks for the suggestion Jaymoon.
I guess Sonax are a Korean product.
Not sure if they are readily available outside of Korea.....any idea??

Russ
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline Jaymoon

• 1st Gear

• kr Korea, Republic of
      Seoul

• 1.6 petrol
Seoul-mate,

Sonax is from Germany. I'm not sure the product of Sonax is available in UK or AU.

Oggie
Sonax is available in Aus - I heard an Ad for them on the radio this morning.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
Saddles Soap is good for Saddles, don't use it on your car. (read below)

Lexol pH Cleaner
Zaino Z10 Conditioner or  (more leather smell)
Lexol Conditioner  (less smell)

FI's Clean Gel & FI's Feed (see finalinspection.com.au )

interested in the Lexol actually after looking at a few links, particularly just getting the wipes for quick usage
seems difficult to find in autralia though   :mad:
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Anybody in the uk wanting scotcguard leather protector wipes for £1.76 a pack delivered:

http://www.3mselect.co.uk/p-991-scotchgard-protector-wipes-for-leather-pk12.aspx

And scotchgaurd is less thana fiver a can there too for the fabric version, just over a fiver for the leather version

This is 3M's own uk website - they are offering free delivery at the moment.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I bought some Amourall Leather Wipes a while back.. totally useless (might actually be o/k to wipe dust and stuff off the seats but dries dull and smeary) Since got some Meguiars Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner Lotion and it is heaps better.. (works a treat)  :goodjob:

Offline jupitersj

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      New Jersey

• 2015 Subaru WRX Limited 2.0L T FA20DIT 6-speed MT
I use Lexol ph cleaner and Lexol Conditioner. I'd stay away from anything that makes your leather look "shiny", and I would not use armour all products unless you want your dash and seats to crack overtime.

Btw, most cheap cars have semi sealed leather, so most cleaners and conditioners have a tough time actually doing their job; but I would still recommend cleaning and conditioning.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
and I would not use armour all products unless you want your dash and seats to crack overtime.

You know this from experience or is this just something you've heard?  :undecided:

I've used Armor all on my cars/motorcycles for more years than I care to remember and have never had an issue with dashes, seats or any plastic cracking....
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:21:18 by rustynutz »

Offline jupitersj

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      New Jersey

my grand am's dash started to turn grey from black with armour all; it developed small cracking in the vinyl, course it is a GM  :rofl:. It was so oily and shiny though  :sweating: I heard they changed the formula years ago but I still won't trust it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

There certainly is a lot of similar negativity out there about Armourall .. I have similar reservations that go back so far I'm not sure if I'm going by personal experience or heresay... :confused:

As Jupiters says I never really liked the slimy shine it put on everything  :P ...and I did give them another try with their leather wipes fairly recently and they were useless  :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm amazed people use Armorall and then complain about the shine, if they bothered to look at the bottle they would find it says it enhances the "shine".....so, If you don't want extra "shine" don't use it..... :rolleyes:
But, in saying that, because of the texture of the i30 dash, it doesn't really "shine" with Armorall applied anyhow....

Also, not sure about Armorall being oily/slimey....my dash is certainly not oily or slimey and I've used it on all my plastics since I bought my i30. Perhaps people need to read the instructions which say: you apply the product, let penetrate and then wipe off.......I suspect the wiping off part isn't happening.......

People also need to realise that Armorall doesn't perform miracles....
If the plastics have been exposed to weather for years beforehand, applying Armorall isn't gonna rectify the damage already sustained so when the dash eventually cracks what happens?  Armorall is gonna be blamed through probably no fault of their own..... :rolleyes:
This, I wouldn't mind betting, is the reason behind much of the criticism aimed at Armorall....

Offline jupitersj

• 2nd Gear

• us United States
      New Jersey

I used it from the day I purchased my GA, and I can follow instructions fine  :rolleyes: Without knowing the composition of the plastic, fire retardants, and the formula of the cleaner no one can prove it was the armourall; either way I stick to Lexol/zaino/meguiar/jetseal now  :mrgreen:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I use armorall on the plasticy parts of the interior. I must admit I've never had a problem with cracking but I normally attribute that problem to too much prolonged exposure to the sun.
BTW. Don't use armorall on your tyres. It's not good for rubber, although in most cases your tyres will wear out before any detrimental effects from the armorall.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal