i30 Owners Club

Broken alternator ?

Hemmi · 20 · 7259

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
One of my 3 month old "expensive" head light bulb blew last week, and few hours later the other did, so I measured the car voltage and it was 14.4V, 13,7V is supposed to be normal, so I assume the alternator is to blame.

I called the dealer and they think that also, so they'll have a look at it when they replace my windscreen, and check the tyre-pressure-monitoring-system....and the stalk indicator....and the timer circuit for the wiper de-icer ....and the..... and the.... is my car turning into a lemon ? :(

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Camerooney reborn?

Both my new OzRam NightBreaker bulbs blew within days of each other. You might be right Hemmi me old mate. Maybe the recharge feed is spiking.

Here's a pic of Spike

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline DeathRattle

• 2nd Gear
if the electrical system is getting to much voltage (14.4 does sound high) then i imagine you will have all sorts of strange effects.

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

14.4 should be OK, but not for long, Im at least not getting any Battery warning on my dash.

So now I'm driving like the idiots who only drive with the fog lights on :lol:
To bad it's not 24 Hour sunlight yet.

I got time for my car at the dealer on may 5th.

Offline G14Classified101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gosford
14.4 is normal when the car is running. In most cars this is the case anyways. I have never checked my i30 but all my previous cars ran 14.4-14.7 when running. On one of my amps i had a digital readout of the cars voltage at all times. Only ever dropped below 14 when i had it turned up and my subs where waking the town up! hehehe. 

Pip
14.4 should be OK, but not for long, Im at least not getting any Battery warning on my dash.

14.4 volts is within the normal range - up to about 14.5 volts.  Much above that I might start to worry.  Having said that, higher voltages will obviously strain the globes.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I agree with Pip and G14, 14.4V doesn't seem to bad, a little high but I'm pretty sure I've seen that on my Scangauge before, normally it's in the low 14's.

A surge (somehow) might cause them to blow, but I doubt 14.4 would do it.

Just remember a 12V battery isn't, it's actually around 13 and a half Volts. 12 is just a nice figure to say. So to charge the battery the voltage obviously has to be higher than this plus also running other 'stuff' within the car.

I hope you issues get fixed up quick Hemmi and your car doesn't become a lemon..............

Regards

Daniel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My Philips +80's blew almost at the same time as each other several months ago and the accessory place blames a voltage spike (But gave me free replacements)  :cool:

They thought it probably spiked when starting the car (used to leave my lights on full all the time)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 130MAN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Where do you look for the car voltage?
Sorry for the dumb question?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Where do you look for the car voltage?
Sorry for the dumb question?

It's not a dumb question.. you need some sort of meter (voltmeter would be my guess)

We don't have one of those built into our i30's (not that many cars do straight from the factory)

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Ive noticed with my car, sometimes first thing in the morning (now that its dark when I leave for work) after about 3-4 min of driving, my headlights will 'spike' really bright for a split second.  Didnt really take much notice of it.

Offline Zhangster

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
hi mate

i had the same thing in mine... i got the alternator changed and now its gone... u should get it checked out..... mine was worse that urs i think... mine was like a disco  :mrgreen:

Ive noticed with my car, sometimes first thing in the morning (now that its dark when I leave for work) after about 3-4 min of driving, my headlights will 'spike' really bright for a split second.  Didnt really take much notice of it.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
If I notice it again I'll take it in.  They'll probably try and blame the HID install now, even tho it was happening before I installed it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They'll probably try and blame the HID install now, even tho it was happening before I installed it.

Yeah most likely   :rolleyes: :twisted:

ouri30

Both my new OzRam NightBreaker bulbs blew within days of each other. You might be right Hemmi me old mate. Maybe the recharge feed is spiking.

Shambles,

I've had no issues with my NightBreakers at all, either in the i30 (low and high beam bulbs fitted) or the Getz (composite globe fitted).

Hemmi,

My Scanguage gives a 14.4v charging voltage so I reckon that is normal.  Most of the other things you mentioned you are having issues with are not on the Aussie i30 (apart from the windscreen), so I can't comment about them.

Bob

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

There was nothing wrong with the alternator according to the mechanic, the voltage is in normal range, just as I suspected after reading on the internet.

They reset the TPMS, but the TPMS light is back on! this thing just dont want to work on my car :( I'm starting to suspect they forgot in the first place to place the sensor around the valve inside the rim. I guess the sensors are still in the original rims that came with the car.

I'm getting new windshield today at a nearby shop, hope that goes well.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm getting new windshield today at a nearby shop, hope that goes well.

Hope they have less trouble replacing the top rubber seal than they did with mine...

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hope they have less trouble replacing the top rubber seal than they did with mine...
My fitters had ordered a new set of trims in advance, which turned out to be a good idea as the original strips were damaged upon removal, so they said...

Good luck Hemmi
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my v8 fairlane was on idle putting out 26 volt because internal regulator had a fault,it fryed my startermotor,battery,computer and didgetal dash.   $$$$$$$$ :mad:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

my v8 fairlane was on idle putting out 26 volt because internal regulator had a fault,it fryed my startermotor,battery,computer and didgetal dash.   $$$$$$$$ :mad:

Ouch  :'(

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal