i30 Owners Club

Grinding sound = no i30 this Xmas!

L30N · 56 · 16410

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK
My other half encountered a loud bang when driving on Monday night. Grinding/howling noise gone. Noticed  battery light was on Tuesday morning, reported problem to dealer who couldn't fit me in until Dec 29th. Told the dealer it was unlikely I would make it that long. Hoped to get home to recharge battery but broke down Tuesday afternoon with pregnant partner and 20 month old toddler in car. Phoned breakdown recovery, alternator pulley/pump had fallen off (well done those who guessed right, pity the dealer couldn't see the problem in the first instance). A bit surreal being towed across the Tyne Bridge in Christmas rush hour in the snow. So I'm driving a 1.2 Corsa over the holidays until my i30 is fixed.  :'(

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
What a fine bloody christmas pressie that is  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope she's fixed up soon. Sympathies with the Corsa  :'(
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
Glad you now know what the problem was and it not being a major job by the sound of it, at least you have a replacement car to be getting on with.  Just check with the mechanic that it did not fly off and cause any other damage.

Good Luck with the new baby.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Sorry to hear of your problem.

If you described the problem to the garage as you did here then they probably did know the problem but actually did you a favour. At the time it might not have felt so.

If you to it to or the garage recovered the car and they couldn't fix it before the Xmas holiday then the breakdown cover for a courtesy car wouldn't kick in.

I understand that the cover for the courtesy car only kicks in with a "breakdown" and an RAC call out and has to be done via the RAC patrol call centre.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

• Wallsend, UK
Got a call today from service dept - car needs new water pump. I was expecting maybe another couple of days but was informed it won't be available until 13th January. I spoke to one of the mechanics who confirmed that 4 of them had pondered over the original noise with stethoscopes :cool: It was very sad to see my i30 sitting there in the compound, brake discs rusting in the sleet. :'(

Had to return the Corsa and pick up another courtesy car, this time from a hire company (apparently when a part is on back order Hyundai UK take over responsibility for the replacement vehicle). Was given a 3 door Nissan Micra, have voiced disapproval* at this and am awaiting a response from Hyundai who wouldn't pay for anything more. Apparently it's common practice to receive a 'downgrade' in such circumstances as manufacturers don't like you driving a same sector model from one of their rivals. I suppose I should be grateful to have a car but it's a bit of a squeeze with all of the stuff we carry around.  :mad:

Can't wait to get my i30 back, now I know what those of you that have waited so long for delivery feel like!

*nothing to do with them being made in Sunderland

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Got a call today from service dept - car needs new water pump. ...

At least it's being sorted, so that's good news :D

I've had courtesy cars which [to me] were below the standard I'd expect, but it's transport after all...

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

• Wallsend, UK
Thanks Shambles yes that's true. Thought I'd add that Hyundai have had no other reported occurrences of this problem so hopefully it's a one-off.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
car needs new water pump. I was expecting maybe another couple of days but was informed it won't be available until 13th January.

Given that the car is made just over the stream, English Channel, I would have expected that the part would be available ASAP.  Have the not heard of "next day delivery" couriers.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I would be disappointed if the part was not available next working day, even this time of year.

It they couldn't decide if it was the pump or alternator I would have also expected them to replace one and see if the noise went away.  Simple binary problem solving.

Maybe I expect too much.

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

• Wallsend, UK
I can't understand the wait either - can only think that it is coming from Korea (due into this country on the 13th). In which case assuming the new Czech built models have the same part, are there none held in Europe? I should have asked the question.
Managed to get another 5 door Corsa from Hyundai today so getting our daughter in and out is a bit easier than the Micra.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I can't understand the wait either - can only think that it is coming from Korea (due into this country on the 13th). In which case assuming the new Czech built models have the same part, are there none held in Europe? I should have asked the question.
Managed to get another 5 door Corsa from Hyundai today so getting our daughter in and out is a bit easier than the Micra.

You could email customer services and ask what the delay is. They are pretty prompt at replying in my experience:

http://www.hyundai.co.uk/contact/

I'd be quite interested in their excuse.

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium

It they couldn't decide if it was the pump or alternator I would have also expected them to replace one and see if the noise went away.

Lorian, you can bet that if it was an out of warranty problem they would have changed something just so they can charge you !

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

• Wallsend, UK
Part is coming by sea, due into Tilbury docks 13th Jan with the next shipment of cars. Asked where it was coming from and they said Belgium?? Not sure if they meant the part or the boat. I will be surprised if it arrives on time so reckon it will be end of month before car is back on the road. Not that I'm driving very far at the moment.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

The i30's come on a ferry from Calais to Dover.

You are very patient, I would have requested them take one of whatever new car they had in the showroom by now.

I must say this is a disappointment as it possibly indicates that Hyundai don't appear to carry adequate spare part inventory in the UK at this time. Of course it also tends to indicate they are not experiencing many failures.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Ahh yes. The old weld itself to the battery trick.
Did it with a dropped shifter once.
Battery actually blew up. :-[
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i cant stand the wait. :P
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

• Wallsend, UK
Got her back  :) :)
Part arrived on 12th, fitted and tested in an hour. Service dept was closed when I got to dealer so didn't get a chance to ask any questions. Great to be driving the i30 again, forgot how lively the bite is on the petrol after driving the Corsa for 2 weeks.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
All sorted? Great news :D

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Good stuff im glad its all worked out for you....

Hopefully thats the end of the troubles...... (Touch Wood) lol

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

• Wallsend, UK
By the way, they did replenish my coolant, oil and washer levels so at least I got something out of it  :)
I have attached a (poor quality) sound clip of the engine sound before repair.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I couldn't hear much so I converted it to mp3 (attached below). Need to turn volume up but you can make out the grinding :eek:

[deleted]

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
I couldn't hear much so I converted it to mp3 (attached below). Need to turn volume up but you can make out the grinding :eek:

Sounds more like a badly dubbed dinosaur  :lol:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Glad she's fixed and you are enjoying her again Leon :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal